The 12 gallon long lava rock scape! (Now also a high-tech 22 gallon long) - Page 10 - The Planted Tank Forum
 130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Been two weeks of moving so everything was very overgrown.

Trimmed up!

Gonna take a "final photo" most likely in the next two weeks, I have some ridiculous plans for a massive living wall that will use this tank as an irrigation reservoir. It's going to mean putting a pretty big pump in here so I will have to come up with some sort of scape that will hide it. This is the wall I made:

I suppose I could do a separate reservoir under the tank in the stand, but the stand is already pretty crowded.

Dutch style is fun, but it's very involved. I'd like to go back to something low(er) maintenance for a while. Believe it or not this is already one of the longest running aquascapes styles I've ever kept. I could definitely see myself coming back to a dutch or collectoritis style in the future but there are still so many different style scapes I want to do!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Greggz, ipkiss and chicken.nublet like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
aww the tank looks great, yeah I agree that the Dutch style takes a lot more maintenance. The pic of it overgrown and being trimmed looks so different, there's probably a good week or two where everything is bushy and looks amazing then it just gets too overgrown.

I love the idea of the living wall, it's going to look great! so you're going to use aquarium water to spray on the living wall? basically increasing plant mass? I wonder if that will throw off the fert stability in your tank with the terrestrial roots sucking things out. I would probably do a separate reservoir and just use a hydroponics premixed fert.

What type of plants are you thinking about? lighting?
gjcarew likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #138 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I love the idea of the living wall, it's going to look great! so you're going to use aquarium water to spray on the living wall? basically increasing plant mass? I wonder if that will throw off the fert stability in your tank with the terrestrial roots sucking things out. I would probably do a separate reservoir and just use a hydroponics premixed fert.

What type of plants are you thinking about? lighting?
It's a recirculating system, so water from the reservoir is pumped up to the top of the wall where 4 gph emitters drip it down to water the plants. The plan was to use aquarium water. The plan (as it so often does) has changed.

I went and talked with Steve at Aquarium Zen who has a pretty cool living wall of a similar design. His is pretty much just ficus pumila and spathiphyllum at this point. He said when the wall WAS recirculating but that plants just didn't grow that well-- the terrestrial plants wanted heavier fertilization, but it was negatively affecting the shrimp he was trying to breed in the tank that was acting as a reservoir. Nowadays he just sprays the wall down with a hose to water it, though he expressed interest in getting the recirculation going again. He also said I could probably get away with foliar fertilization, which does seem like a decent option.

Another factor is just my own personal desires-- I've worked hard to get as much tech out of the tank as possible, do I really want to stick a giant pump in there? It's not a big tank. It would severly hamper the types of aquascapes I could do. And when it comes down to it houseplants are really a secondary hobby to aquariums, I don't want to cripple one hobby for the benefit of the other. There are also other issues like potentially clogging emitters with fish waste.

So I ended up getting a little 7 gallon waste bin that will act as a reservoir with hydroponic nutrients. It will sit under the stand like a sump does. Plant list so far is:

Epriprenum aureum "Golden Pothos"
Epriprenum aureum "Snow Queen"
Epriprenum pinnatum "Cebu Blue"
Philodendron hederaceum "Micans"
Philodendron hederaceum "Lemon-Lime"
Philodendron hederaceum "Brasil"
Rhaphidophora tetrasperma
Nephrolepsis exaltata
Asparagus plumosus
Adiantum microphyllum
Tradescantia zebrina
Philodendron "Prince of Orange"
Philodendron "Moonlight"
Philodendron "Mccolley's Finale"
Monstera adansonii
Various phalaenopsis orchids
Scindapsus pictus "Silver Splash"

I'm expecting a good amount of attrition due to transition stress. I traded someone for a bunch of philodendrons and all of them were on death's door. I'm trying to nurse them back in some sphagnum moss but who knows whether they'll make it.

Lighting is just 6 feet of t-5 style LED grow lights that I'm hanging from the ceiling. All the plants can handle pretty low light so I'm not particularly concerned about that.
Greggz likes this.

post #139 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Yes, fully support the idea of keeping the two systems separate and that way you can fine tune each if they need it.
this is going to be an exciting addition. are you going to keep documenting the build on this thread or starting a new one?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #140 of 143 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post

this is going to be an exciting addition. are you going to keep documenting the build on this thread or starting a new one?
Probably just occasional updates on this post. It's already built, just needs to be mounted to the wall today.

post #141 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plant wall is planted! Now I just have to hope everything survives

post #142 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm taking the final photo for the AGA contest tonight. It doesn't look as good as I'd hoped, but hopefully it's one of those things where the flaws look much worse to me than they do to other people. At the very least it follows the rules of a Dutch tank!

I haven't posted the 12 gallon long recently. I used to think low-tech tanks were boring, but I change the water on this every two weeks, easy green once a week, and it just looks good with no effort. It's such a pleasure to have such an easy tank.

I'm probably going to rescape the Dutch shortly. I haven't decided between a nature style or an iwagumi but it's gonna be something without many stems. On the other hand I always say that then end up with like 4 groups of rotala

post #143 of 143 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Welp you probably won't see another post of the Dutch-style tank until AGA results come out in December. Here's a little preview-- I got ahold of my fiance's DSLR and was able to take some nice photos.

Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode