The 12 gallon long lava rock scape! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I some how misplaced all of my aquascaping tools. I didn't want to get another set until I was sure they were gone, so the tank went almost two weeks without trimming, and it got pretty out of control.

Here's the before ( the Ludwigia pantanal was already trimmed, I got excited to use my new scissors):

You can see how badly the stems get bent in such a low tank. Also, the hydrocotyle tripartita mini was absolutely taking over.

I spent at least 20 minutes just disentangling it from the other plants and hardscape.

Next on the agenda was injecting some red into the tank. The rotala rotundifolia wasn't really standing out, so I picked out the last pot of h'ra from Aquarium Zen. Unfortunately the ADA tissue cultures they receive don't appear to be very good quality, it looks like they weren't created in a sterile environment as evidenced by the abundance of mold and fungus. Here is the pot that I got:

They gave me a 50% discount due to the condition of the pot, and I'm hoping a few of the stems will make it. Still, I just want to be able to buy nice tissue cultures locally. The one shipment they got from Tropica was amazing, SUPER high quality. I heard Tropica hasn't been able to get their product across the border from Canada recently, but hopefully they will get everything sorted soon. Just to be clear, I'm not disparaging Aquarium Zen. It's my favorite store to buy plants at in the NW, and their pots are usually very healthy. ADA TC's just don't make it there in good condition.

The plants are doing well, but I'm still battling algae. I almost did the one-two punch, but I'm too afraid of losing the amano shrimp I've had forever and they are impossible to catch with how dense the planting is.

Here are a few selected params, just before maintenance and about an hour after the CO2 went off:

7 gh
3 kh
13 ppm NO3
3 ppm PO4
6.8 pH

Edit: measured degassed pH the morning and I was showing 6.6... I think I need to get myself a probe

After seeing Dennis Wong's post on Reddit, I'm a little embarrassed to show my Ludwigia senegalensis, be here are the Ludwigias:

Growth tips are red, but not much else. Maybe increasing the intensity and decreasing the photoperiod would help?

Proserpinaca palustris is growing well, and the Monte Carlo is starting to carpet ...slowly. at least the buce is still looking pretty good.

FTS post maintenanc

Gratuitous shot of all the shrimp I have to fish out of my filter every maintenance session

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by gjcarew; 02-20-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This will probably be the last update on this tank.

I was never technically allowed to have a tank in my apartment (what are they gonna do, evict me over a 12 gallon tank?), but we are moving apartments and I was told over the weekend I had to move it immediately. I took it over to my mom's house, but unfortunately on the way over the rocks forming the "canyon" collapsed together!

I was pretty stressed about it, but I've decided that maybe a little bit of natural chaos improved the scene. Here's how it now looks:

I cleaned everything up, of course. The plants are really starting to look nice, especially the Ludwigia pantanal and curly leaf.

Anyways, for the next apartment I'm looking at getting a bigger tank so I'm not sure how much longer this one will keep going. No matter what I'll keep you all posted!

tredford likes this.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to hear about having to move the tank. You set it up at your parents though, so you plan to keep it running there until you move?
I still think it looks amazing, very nice indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
Sorry to hear about having to move the tank. You set it up at your parents though, so you plan to keep it running there until you move?
I still think it looks amazing, very nice indeed.
I kept it running for a week or so, but it was on the other side of town so a pain to do maintenance on. I ended up selling the plants and shrimp and rehoming the fish since I couldn't take care of them. This was definitely a high maintenance tank, which is fine if you enjoy the process but really hard to keep going when it's not at home.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've moved in to the new place and I'm excited to get up and running again! I've decided that these tanks are best for iwagumi style scapes, so that's the next project.

Anybody who has feedback on my preliminary hardscape setup would be appreciated. The goal was a triangular layout with green "couloirs" running through it. Let me know what could be improved!

Sorry for the horrible background, by the way. Having it on the ground made messing with it a lot easier.

ScrubbyDick likes this.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like it, however I think the rocks standing up towards the left would need to be leant backwards into the sloped substrate.
Maybe thin out the right side a little as well.
Keep messing around and taking photos. That way we can see which look more natural and have the right flow.
gjcarew likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

It feels like the spacing between the rock clusters is too uniform and could benefit from some of the clusters being scootched closer together to leave a larger open space to break things up. The plants may end up taking care of that, though, depending on how they visually break things up.
gjcarew likes this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm working on some different hardscape setups for the 12g but haven't found any I'm in love with yet. I appreciate the feedback and will probably post here soon for more

In the meantime I thought I'd post my Fluval Spec V at work since it has been a couple months since the last update. It's looking pretty lush for a low tech tank. I have a fantasy of going full low tech Dutch with it, which means I would have to remove the spider wood and thin out a lot of plants/ make more distinct groupings. My only sticking point is whether I should keep the relatively large rock in there (that the weeping moss is growing on) or try to remove it.

Let me know what you think! If I keep the rock, what epiphytes would look good on it?

tredford likes this.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Back from a two week trip and fussing over the damn rocks again. I tried to take the advice of leaving a bit more open space in this version, since after all do want a pretty large green "lawn", which I think this will have in the end. For planting I'm thinking eleocharis acicularis in the top left, a whole lot of Monte Carlo, and maybe some crypt parva in the foreground just to spice things up.

I forgot to take pictures, but this little unused area is where the tank will live:

There is only about 2 inches between the top of the tank and the bottom of the cabinet, so I got some white LED's, stuck them to the bottom of the cabinet, and hooked it up to a dimmer switch.

This is what it looks like with the lights on. Not sure what the par is, but I figure you don't need super high light for Monte Carlo and hairgrass anyways

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The AGA convention started today and I had the pleasure of seeing Dennis Wong's aquascaping demo. I forget what his name is on here, but I know he is on the forum.

First of all, the guy is stupid talented. He made what might be the coolest aquascape I've ever seen in about two hours. I'll post a pic tomorrow, I had to leave before it was flooded so I don't have one at the moment.

One of the things we discussed was using the grain of rocks to draw the eye to a certain point, and he pointed out that rocks without a defined grain structure don't work as well as the focus point of aquascapes. That got me thinking about this whole lava rock iwagumi idea-- maybe it's just not the right material for the iwagumi style.

Since I would like to use all the lava rock I've collected, I'm now thinking about a big tree root style, with epiphytes and low light plants in between the roots. I've posted a "rough draft" of the idea below, let me know what you all think!
celadon and tredford like this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
The AGA convention started today and I had the pleasure of seeing Dennis Wong's aquascaping demo. I forget what his name is on here, but I know he is on the forum.

First of all, the guy is stupid talented. He made what might be the coolest aquascape I've ever seen in about two hours. I'll post a pic tomorrow, I had to leave before it was flooded so I don't have one at the moment.

One of the things we discussed was using the grain of rocks to draw the eye to a certain point, and he pointed out that rocks without a defined grain structure don't work as well as the focus point of aquascapes. That got me thinking about this whole lava rock iwagumi idea-- maybe it's just not the right material for the iwagumi style.

Since I would like to use all the lava rock I've collected, I'm now thinking about a big tree root style, with epiphytes and low light plants in between the roots. I've posted a "rough draft" of the idea below, let me know what you all think!

I love it!! Itís very balanced, and I love how it follows the golden ratio, if that makes sense. It looks very natural and beautiful. I canít wait to see your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gjcarew likes this.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I tried gluing down all the wood for a while but it's just so damn fiddly. Definitely the last time I do one with this much wood detail. I figured everything was going to float anyways, so I just flooded it and left it looking like hot garbage for a week while everything waterlogged.

I still have some areas to fix where branches started floating on me, especially in the "trunk" area, but at least there are plants in there and I can get an idea of what it will look like. As always, feedback is much appreciated.
vvDO, tredford and Starwarsfan like this.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 AM

Amazing. Many thanks for the post and pics.
Have a nice day !!!
gjcarew likes this.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Well, I tried gluing down all the wood for a while but it's just so damn fiddly. Definitely the last time I do one with this much wood detail. I figured everything was going to float anyways, so I just flooded it and left it looking like hot garbage for a week while everything waterlogged.

I still have some areas to fix where branches started floating on me, especially in the "trunk" area, but at least there are plants in there and I can get an idea of what it will look like. As always, feedback is much appreciated.

Nice layout.

Thatís a really tight fit... how are you planning to do in-tank maintenance?

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Nice layout.

Thatís a really tight fit... how are you planning to do in-tank maintenance?

Thanks! I put the tank on a layer of felt so it slides on the countertop. As for getting in there with my ogre hands and cleaning things... That's been a problem since I got this tank. I use scouring pads for cleaning the glass since they are pretty thin.

I'm also hoping the slow growers (crypt parva, eleocharis parvula, buce and anubias) and low levels of light will prevent me having to reach in there too often.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode