• 1 Post By Grobbins48
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Jay12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
90 Gallon Planted Tank

I've been working on a 90-gallon tank that I snagged for $20 a couple weeks ago (with stand, light, sump, and pump haha). I've had a 29-gallon tank with a gravel substrate that I threw a couple of plants in, but decided to use soil on this one. It's still a little cloudy but clearing up. Here's a list of what I've used so far.

Equipment:
90 Gallon Glass Tank (48x18x24)
Pine Stand (Refinished)
950 gal/hr pump
Super old basic sump
2x 300W Heater (in sump)
Tek-light fluorescent fixture that holds 8 T5s (only using 4 currently)

Substrate/Hardscape:

Organic Potting Soil
Quickrete Medium Sand cap
Wild Collected Rock (soaked in H202 for a few days)
Osage Orange Branches (wild collected, also soaked)

Flora:
Jungle Vals
Amazon Swords
Anacharis
Ludwiga Repens
S. Repens
Anubias Nana (Not in tank yet)
Java fern (Not in tank yet)
Dwarf Sagittaria

Fauna (To be transferred from 29 gallon after cycling):
Guppies
Neon Tetras
Dwarf Gourami
Ghost Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Dwarf CPO Crays
Nerite Snails

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181226_181757.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	874939

Name:	IMG_20181227_184626.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	874941

I'm planning on adding a school of Rummynose Tetras and a Bamboo Shrimp once I'm sure the tank is totally mature. I'm also going to build my own LED lights once the parts arrive to replace the big T5 light.

I've been dosing Flourish Comprehensive, Trace and Excel.

The osage orange is such an awesome wood. It's extremely hard and has a cool gnarly look. All in all, it's turning out to be a very inexpensive set-up so far. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Quagulator, ChrisX and Discusluv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually wrote up that first post about 10 days ago, just couldn't get it to post. The Ludwiga Repens are doing really well and I've already cut most in half and replanted them. S. Repens are doing great too, I'll probably propagate those pretty soon as well. I added some narrow-leaf chain sword. I've had quite a bit of die-off from the vals and anacharis, though that was expected since I'm double dosing excel. A good source of Ammonia for cycling I guess haha. It's been coming back in though.

I used a lot of filter media from my 29 Gallon and the tank seems to be fully cycled already. I've added a couple amanos, and juvenile guppies.

More pics to follow.
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking great so far!

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are a few updated pics. I need to vacuum up quite a bit still from all the anacharis and vals die-off.

Name:	_JSL4199-HDR-2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	874949

Name:	_JSL4203.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	874951

Name:	_JSL4205.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	874953
Quagulator and Discusluv like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update. My fish are in!

Name:	_JSL4217.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	875359

Name:	_JSL4223.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	875361

Name:	_JSL4227.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	875363

I added some RCS and a Super Red BN Pleco. I've got Narrow leaf Chain Sword and Dwarf Sag in there now, so we'll just see who does better. Overall things are looking pretty good. Been fighting off a little bit of BBA, but it's under control so far. Gotta love that Excel haha.

Here's the list as it stands now

Flora:
Jungle Vals
Amazon Swords
Anacharis (Most died off)
Ludwiga Repens
S. Repens
Anubias Nana
Java fern
Dwarf Sagittaria
Narrow-leaf chain sword

Fauna:
Guppies
Neon Tetras
Rummynose Tetra
Dwarf Gourami
Ghost Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Dwarf CPO Crays
Super Red BN Pleco
Red Cherry Shrimp
Nerite Snails
Quagulator, ChrisX and Discusluv like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing how this develops!
Jay12 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

This will be an interesting take. I also have a 90 gallon!

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks great! Keep an eye out for water parameters with the added fish. May want to do a water change on the 3rd day just as a proactive measure while the biofilter works to match bioload.
Jay12 likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

How is the quickcrete medium sand? Does it stay put when cleaning it?

I have one tank with PFS and another with play sand, and the PFS (mostly) stays put when siphoning from bottom. Play sand gets sucked up and has to be replaced.

My last tank I used organic potting soil under sand but didn't filter out the wood chips. Whenever disturbing the substrate, replanting, pieces of wood would litter the bottom. I eventually had to break down the whole tank.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Looks great! Keep an eye out for water parameters with the added fish. May want to do a water change on the 3rd day just as a proactive measure while the biofilter works to match bioload.
I definitely will, thanks. I've been watching the parameters very closely, haven't seen any Ammonia or Nitrates since I put the fish in. I've been doing small (5-10%) water changes every couple of days with RO since I set up the tank to bring the hardness down slowly anyways but can do a bigger one if the need arises. (I got a small RO unit like right after I filled the tank with 100% tap water haha)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
How is the quickcrete medium sand? Does it stay put when cleaning it?

I have one tank with PFS and another with play sand, and the PFS (mostly) stays put when siphoning from bottom. Play sand gets sucked up and has to be replaced.

My last tank I used organic potting soil under sand but didn't filter out the wood chips. Whenever disturbing the substrate, replanting, pieces of wood would litter the bottom. I eventually had to break down the whole tank.
The quickrete medium sand has been great for me so far. It is the first sand I've used actually, so I can't tell you how it compares with PFS or play sand. It does mostly stay put when vacuuming, even when you get really close. If I get too close and it starts to siphon up the tube a bit, I just back off and it falls back down. The grain size is pretty close to a lot of PFS (#20-#40) so I think it's similar. It's been pretty easy so far.

I did filter out the wood chips (sort of), but I do get some bits that will come up with anything I move. It's not too bad though, it vacuums up pretty easily.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
This will be an interesting take. I also have a 90 gallon!
I sometimes wish it was a 75g. 24" is a lot of depth! It's almost to my armpit when I have to reach to the bottom in the back haha. I thought about bringing the water level down and having some emersed growth but I didn't want to mess with the overflow level. Maybe I will end up doing it someday.
Quagulator likes this.

Tags
dirt substrate, osage orange, sump, wild collected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode