• 1 Post By rsam
  • 1 Post By rsam
  • 1 Post By rsam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
23 gallon long setup with some tannins

I am starting this journal so I can document and keep track of the progress, hopefully this will also slow me down, I tend to get impatient and jump right into it.

Tank Dimensions:
23 gallon long (36 X 12 X 12)

Lighting:
Ecoxotic E-Series Full Spectrum LED – 36”

Filter:
Sponge filter for now but will upgrade to a canister filter.

Substrate:
CaribSea Super Naturals Sunset Gold Sand

Fauna:
Two pairs for German Blue Rams – currently in quarantine
12 Neon or Cardinal Tetras – would love to hear about other suggestion here.
In the future would like to add Dwarf Cichlids or hatchet fish (will need a cover first.)

Flora:
Amazon Swords
Jungle Vallisneria
Floating Frogbit
Maybe Brazilian Pennywort
Any other suggestions?

Ferts:
Osmocote root tabs

C02:
No plans for it right now but can add if required.

Hardscape:
A lot of wood (still in search for longer branches\twigs), some river rocks, botanicals, and Oak leaves I picked locally.

Initially I was looking at a 20 gal long, but also wanted to utilize the 36” ecoxotic led light fixture I already had. So I started to look for a 36” tank and was lucky to come across this one at local tank manufacturer. Now I wish I had gone rimless, but didn’t want to wait the month to get it built.

For substrate I was planning to go with play sand but with the cold weather I couldn’t wash it outside and didn’t want that sand in my drains. So on Boxing Day sale I picked up CaribSea Super Naturals Sunset Gold Sand. I am using pool filter sand in my 90 gallon and didn’t want to use it in this tank.

Had a hard time finding botanical locally, I did look at Tannin Aquatics but with the delivery charge, customs/duty and the exchange rate it just didn’t make sense. Too bad because I would love have added some of those amazing pods to the tank. Maybe later on I’ll go for it.

I went to a trail not too far from my house and picked up a bag full of Oak leaves. For now I have dried and packed them, I will boil them as I need.

Thanks for reading…feedback, comments, and advice always welcomed and appreciated.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by rsam; 01-24-2019 at 02:38 AM. Reason: updates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update...

So yesterday I was able to get in a third coat of black paint for the background, tuned out pretty good. I also washed the 40lbs of the CribSea sand, was rather surprised how dirty it was. I must have rinsed it out about 5/6 times and still it wasn't clean. I thought CribSea was clean enough to dump straight into your tank...nope...

I setup the tank, put in the sand and filled it up. Again I was surprised how cloudy the water was, can’t even see the black background. I slapped on an Aquaclear 50 filled with filter floss and left it to do its thing.

The filter floss 4 hours later.

24 hours later, much better but still cloudy...Got the Ecoxotic LED lights out and on the tank.

Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by rsam; 01-24-2019 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Edit posting
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

I have that same exact substrate and washed it forever before use. I'm waiting for warmer weather to wash more for another tank; it most definitely needs rinsing!

That said, yours is clearing up, just hang in with the filtering. The paint job looks great, looking forward to your build.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have the Sunset Gold as well for my African Biotope- love it. I purchased the "Instant Aquarium" version and just dumped into my aquarium. . No cloudiness- no mess.

Look forward to following your build. This is my kind of tank.

Edit: Here are some Characins and other fish species endemic to Blackwaters of Rio Negro in South America.

https://fish.mongabay.com/data/ecosy...io%20Negro.htm

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
I have that same exact substrate and washed it forever before use. I'm waiting for warmer weather to wash more for another tank; it most definitely needs rinsing!

That said, yours is clearing up, just hang in with the filtering. The paint job looks great, looking forward to your build.
Due to the cold weather here was the reason for going with the Cribsea substrate instead of play sand (thinking it didn't need cleaning), but having said that I am glad I went with the Sunset Gold, I like the way it looks in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have the Sunset Gold as well for my African Biotope- love it. I purchased the "Instant Aquarium" version and just dumped into my aquarium. . No cloudiness- no mess.

Look forward to following your build. This is my kind of tank.

Edit: Here are some Characins and other fish species endemic to Blackwaters of Rio Negro in South America.

https://fish.mongabay.com/data/ecosy...io%20Negro.htm
Ahh, so there is an "instant Aquarium" version, thats good to know for next time.

Wow thanks for the link, I have some reading to do .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update...

Finally got a chance to setup the hardscape this week, it took almost a week for some of the sticks and branches to sink. It didn't exactly turn out the way I had envisioned it, then again it never does, but it turned out ok. It has been growing on me. I am thinking of add some more wood along the back to hopefully create some more little hiding places for the fish.

Hopefully I can find sometime this weekend to boil and add some leaves and other botanicals and get some color in the water.

Next, should I add the leaves and botanicals to the tank and let them settle for about a week before adding the fish? Or can I add everything at the same time? Any thoughts, how have others done it?

Let me know what you think?

Thanks

Last edited by rsam; 01-24-2019 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Edit posting
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I finally added the botanicals yesterday, 3 large Indian Almond leaves, a bunch of Oak leaves I collected, about 10 Black Alder cones (was surprised how small they are), and one Mahogany petal. I boiled everything for about 10 mins, let them cool and through them in. They all pretty much sank to the bottom immediately. I threw always all the beautiful tannin colored water, I think next time I will save it and add it to the tank.

This picture is pretty much right after adding everything last night.

This one is from mid-morning today.

This one is from this afternoon.

Also planted some Vals and a small Amazon Sword plant, I will be adding some Amazon Frogbits soon.

Thanks for looking.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode