• 1 Post By Vadim Shevchuk
  • 2 Post By Vadim Shevchuk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
150 Gallon w/ Altums

Hey Forum Friends,

I decided to make a journal of my 150 gallon planted tank, that is currently set up. I will be doing some changes in 2019, so why take you guys along for the ride! I've been lurking this forum since 2010, I just never really posted much. Feel free to critique anything, I have a hard shell and I appreciate any advice/thoughts!

Set up

150 Gallon (48" x 30"H x 24" W) w/ Store bought black stand
Filtration: Eheim 2078
CO2: Carbon Doser Regulator w/ 10lb Co2 Tank + External 5000 + Milwaukee PH Probe
Lighting: 2 Ecotech Radion xr15w
Heating: Eheim Jager 300w Heater
Substrate: Black Diamond Blasting Sand
Powerheads: RW-4 & RW-8

Dosing:
1 50% WC 50ml of Metricide 14 2 TBSP of GH Booster 1 TSP KNO3 1/4 TSP KH2PO4
2 10ml Metricide 14 1/2 TSP Plantex CSM+B
3 10ml Metricide 14 1 TSP KNO3 1/4 TSP KH2PO4
4 10ml Metricide 14 1/2 TSP Plantex CSM+B
5 10ml Metricide 14 1 TSP KNO3 1/4 TSP KH2PO4
6 10ml Metricide 14
7 10ml Metricide 14

Fish:
5 Altum Angelfish
1 Silver Blue Angelfish
3 Roseline Barb
3 Pear Gouramis (1M/2FM)
8 Rummy Nose Tetras
2 Dwarf Neon Rainbows (M/FM Pair)
2 Turquoise Rainbows (2 M)
2 Otos
2 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Yoyo Loach
2 Corydoras (lost a bunch during a fungal outbreak)
1 Farlowella
MTS Snails
4 Assassin Snails

Plants: I have a decent variety, but I won't post a list yet until I get everything identified in a later post.

I used to have a huge driftwod stump, but I kept getting BBA on it. As soon as I removed the driftwood, I stopped having BBA in my tank. the only algae I have is some GSA. I scrape it with a razor blade once a month. In the last 2 months my plant growth skyrocketed, I am getting some curling leaves on a sword and some stems. I believe it is a Calcium deficiency.

For the upcoming year, I would like to get a better stand and either upgrade to a 180 gallon (6') or get a 120 gallon 4x2x2. the 30" is just a little too much with higher maintenance plants. The sweet spot for me would be 27", but I need a custom tank for that height(also depends on the stand height). I would also like to add another eheim Canister filter, 2080 or one of the larger ones they have. Right now I'm pretty good on testing my nitrates and doing water changes, but I definitely want more filtration. I also want to tweak my dosing and figure out how to keep my nitrates down and get rid of the calcium deficiency. Right now if I do water changes, it helps with the deficiency, but If I go a little bit longer, the leaves really curve down. Soon as I get it sorted out, I will move towards automated dosing. I think that tends to keep everything going smooth and less headache on my part. Right the lights are automated (2:30pm-10:30pm) and the co2 Reactor and Regulator comes on at Noon and shuts off at 9pm via smart plugs.

Lastly, I will also be doing a floating bookshelf tank in the spring. I already have a 12 gallon long, but I might go for the UNS 9 gallon for weight reduction! Stay tuned Also what is the best way to post photos on here?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ci?usp=sharing

Last edited by Vadim Shevchuk; 12-27-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: URL Fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Shevchuk View Post
Hey Forum Friends,

I decided to make a journal of my 150 gallon planted tank, that is currently set up. I will be doing some changes in 2019, so why take you guys along for the ride! I've been lurking this forum since 2010, I just never really posted much. Feel free to critique anything, I have a hard shell and I appreciate any advice/thoughts!

Set up

150 Gallon (48" x 30"H x 24" W) w/ Store bought black stand
Filtration: Eheim 2078
CO2: Carbon Doser Regulator w/ 10lb Co2 Tank + External 5000 + Milwaukee PH Probe
Lighting: 2 Ecotech Radion xr15w
Heating: Eheim Jager 300w Heater
Substrate: Black Diamond Blasting Sand
Powerheads: RW-4 & RW-8

Dosing:
1 50% WC 50ml of Metricide 14 2 TBSP of GH Booster 1 TSP KNO3 1/4 TSP KH2PO4
2 10ml Metricide 14 1/2 TSP Plantex CSM+B
3 10ml Metricide 14 1 TSP KNO3 1/4 TSP KH2PO4
4 10ml Metricide 14 1/2 TSP Plantex CSM+B
5 10ml Metricide 14 1 TSP KNO3 1/4 TSP KH2PO4
6 10ml Metricide 14
7 10ml Metricide 14

Fish:
5 Altum Angelfish
1 Silver Blue Angelfish
3 Roseline Barb
3 Pear Gouramis (1M/2FM)
8 Rummy Nose Tetras
2 Dwarf Neon Rainbows (M/FM Pair)
2 Turquoise Rainbows (2 M)
2 Otos
2 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Yoyo Loach
2 Corydoras (lost a bunch during a fungal outbreak)
1 Farlowella
MTS Snails
4 Assassin Snails

Plants: I have a decent variety, but I won't post a list yet until I get everything identified in a later post.

I used to have a huge driftwod stump, but I kept getting BBA on it. As soon as I removed the driftwood, I stopped having BBA in my tank. the only algae I have is some GSA. I scrape it with a razor blade once a month. In the last 2 months my plant growth skyrocketed, I am getting some curling leaves on a sword and some stems. I believe it is a Calcium deficiency.

For the upcoming year, I would like to get a better stand and either upgrade to a 180 gallon (6') or get a 120 gallon 4x2x2. the 30" is just a little too much with higher maintenance plants. The sweet spot for me would be 27", but I need a custom tank for that height(also depends on the stand height). I would also like to add another eheim Canister filter, 2080 or one of the larger ones they have. Right now I'm pretty good on testing my nitrates and doing water changes, but I definitely want more filtration. I also want to tweak my dosing and figure out how to keep my nitrates down and get rid of the calcium deficiency. Right now if I do water changes, it helps with the deficiency, but If I go a little bit longer, the leaves really curve down. Soon as I get it sorted out, I will move towards automated dosing. I think that tends to keep everything going smooth and less headache on my part. Right the lights are automated (2:30pm-10:30pm) and the co2 Reactor and Regulator comes on at Noon and shuts off at 9pm via smart plugs.

Lastly, I will also be doing a floating bookshelf tank in the spring. I already have a 12 gallon long, but I might go for the UNS 9 gallon for weight reduction! Stay tuned Also what is the best way to post photos on here?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nO...RRgI2D_BwYyAci
Look forward to following this! When you hit the link, however, it says the viewer needs permission to view picture. While it does give you a link to request permission, I felt kinda strange doing so without asking you first.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Look forward to following this! When you hit the link, however, it says the viewer needs permission to view picture. While it does give you a link to request permission, I felt kinda strange doing so without asking you first.
I believe I fixed it!
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very nice fish and plants! Your Altums are very beautiful

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful tank! I give you kudos for dealing with the 30” of height. I’m sure those altums appreciate it though!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome and nice start to a journal.

Looks like you have a lot going right so far. It's a good looking tank, and I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

You posted a lot of good information. Other items you might want to add would be source water parameters, tank water parameters (N/P readings) and pH drop from CO2.

When you list dosing, it will be helpful to list the dosing in ppm rather than tsp/tbs. You can use either the Rotalabutterfly or Zorfox calculators to figure them out. Take some time to learn one of them, and it will be well worth it.

Noticed right away you said you were "pretty good" about water changes. If you are going to dose EI levels or close to them, water changes are an integral part of the program. Has to do with accumulation which might explain why your plants seem to bounce back after a water change.

If you want to get an idea of the types of things many here are tracking, I have a link in my signature to a spreadsheet (Greggz Tank Info Version 3.0) that might help. You can download it and customize it to your needs. Many post a screenshot of it in their journals, as it helps to present a snapshot of everything you have going on. Really helps others offer suggestions.

Lot's of ways to post pics. You can upload them right here to the site, or use a hosting site. I have never figured out how to link them from Google Drive. Personally I use Flickr, but there are lots of them out there. If you need more help with that, just ask. Worth the time to learn, as easy to see pictures really help folks get a better understanding of your tank.

Hope that helps, and will be following along. Subscribed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower

Are those the freshwater xr15?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well it's been a rough patch with the tank. Everything was growing great. I mentioned earlier that I wanted to add a second filter. We have a store that sells amazon returns and I got a like new Eheim 4+ 600 for $90. I spent another $15 for new hoses since the original ones were too short. First impressions, eheim is turning into crap. This is my 6th eheim Filter and this is the most expensive Eheim I've owned. Media is definitely cheaper, this is the first time I've seen plastic rings for media. The spray bar and the intake is a lot cheaper than my Eheim 3 series. Also, the locking clamps are a thinner plastic. I've previously used all the classics and I love their quick disconnects. For the price I got it for, I guess I can't complain. I boiled all the media and washed the filter out. Upon doing a water change, I've noticed that one of my SAE had a huge lump growing on near his head. I decided to remove him from the tank. I trimmed the plants and did a 50% water change. Couple days later, I notice one of my Altum Angels has ick. Not sure where it came from since I've had no new fish since I got the Altums. I'm going to go the heat method. I've never had ick in a planted tank. Slowly cranking the heat up to 86F and I'll be doing 50% water changes every other day. The Altums have been annoying me lately. When I first got them, they would eat some flake and frozen brine shrimp. Now they won't eat anything else beside frozen foods. Feeling down right now, but hopefully all of them make it through. Anybody have any other tips to fight this? I have an old in tank UV sterilizer, but I'm not sure if the bulb is even good anymore since it's been sitting in my basement for 2 years unused.

Last edited by Vadim Shevchuk; 01-12-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Photos won't post
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
Are those the freshwater xr15?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Welcome and nice start to a journal.

Looks like you have a lot going right so far. It's a good looking tank, and I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

You posted a lot of good information. Other items you might want to add would be source water parameters, tank water parameters (N/P readings) and pH drop from CO2.

When you list dosing, it will be helpful to list the dosing in ppm rather than tsp/tbs. You can use either the Rotalabutterfly or Zorfox calculators to figure them out. Take some time to learn one of them, and it will be well worth it.

Noticed right away you said you were "pretty good" about water changes. If you are going to dose EI levels or close to them, water changes are an integral part of the program. Has to do with accumulation which might explain why your plants seem to bounce back after a water change.

If you want to get an idea of the types of things many here are tracking, I have a link in my signature to a spreadsheet (Greggz Tank Info Version 3.0) that might help. You can download it and customize it to your needs. Many post a screenshot of it in their journals, as it helps to present a snapshot of everything you have going on. Really helps others offer suggestions.

Lot's of ways to post pics. You can upload them right here to the site, or use a hosting site. I have never figured out how to link them from Google Drive. Personally I use Flickr, but there are lots of them out there. If you need more help with that, just ask. Worth the time to learn, as easy to see pictures really help folks get a better understanding of your tank.

Hope that helps, and will be following along. Subscribed!

Thank you for all the advice! I will dabble with the calculators. I've made a flickrr account and uploaded photos on that account. I just can't figure out how to share them in a post. Please help! Thank you
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Altum Angels are one of the most difficult freshwater fish that we keep in the aquarium. I recently picked a group up myself.
It is a fish very sensitive to temperature fluctuations, stress from other tank-mates, diminishing water quality ( high nitrates), parasites/bacteria. In higher alkalinity, it's immune system will slowly weaken and allow in pathogens normally would be able to combat.
The Altum are turning down the prepared foods that they would readily eat because they are stressed. They eat the frozen food because, despite being stressed, it is irresistible. However, this will eventually end. Stress works to slowly undermine the fish- that is what you are seeing.
When did you put the Altum in the tank?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Altum Angels are one of the most difficult freshwater fish that we keep in the aquarium. I recently picked a group up myself.
It is a fish very sensitive to temperature fluctuations, stress from other tank-mates, diminishing water quality ( high nitrates), parasites/bacteria. In higher alkalinity, it's immune system will slowly weaken and allow in pathogens normally would be able to combat.
The Altum are turning down the prepared foods that they would readily eat because they are stressed. They eat the frozen food because, despite being stressed, it is irresistible. However, this will eventually end. Stress works to slowly undermine the fish- that is what you are seeing.
When did you put the Altum in the tank?
I've had the Altums since Thanksgiving. They ate flake the first week, after that they just switched over to frozen or live foods and I've kept feeding them that. Nitrates don't go over 40ppm and I am dosing Nitrates in my tank. I've added a second filter to improve the water quality. They didn't appear stressed at all until I did the last water change and added a second filter. Right now they are super skiddish and before they would eat out of my hands.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

40 ppm nitrates is quite high for Altums- extremity high, in fact; and alone explains their stress. I keep my discus and Altums between 5-10 ppm nitrates at all times.
Like I said, difficult fish, many are not willing to do what they need to do to keep them healthy.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
40 ppm nitrates is quite high for Altums- extremity high, in fact; and alone explains their stress. I keep my discus and Altums between 5-10 ppm nitrates at all times.
Like I said, difficult fish, many are not willing to do what they need to do to keep them healthy.
Last two weeks, I've been keeping nitrates below 20ppm. That was one of my reasons for adding a second filter, and I'm going to dose less KNO3. In my opinion, I'm fully stocked. I'll be adding 4/5 more cories in the future. I've upped the school of Rummy Nose Tetras to 25 total. I had 8/9 in there before and they kept hiding in the plants, after I introduced the Altums. Since I've added 17 more, they school all over the tank and nobody bothers them from the other fish.

Since, the Altums got fungus all over them. I've stopped dosing and reduced co2. I've increased water changes, and feedings to keep their immune systems up. Even with the fungus, they eat like pigs. Right now I'm feeding them frozen blood worms and mysis shrimp. They will not eat anything else. I've also ben dosing the tank with Melafix and I've finished 10 days of treatment. The fungus is 90% gone. My last treatment will be dosing the frozen food with kanaplex. I love the Altums and I would love to see them hit their full potential.

Greggz and cjessada75 like this.

Last edited by Vadim Shevchuk; 01-25-2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: images
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM

Beautiful aquarium , I am currently thinking about this same size aquarium for myself , how do you like the overall size and foot print of it ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode