Rob and M's 80g Deep Blue - The Planted Tank Forum
 95Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRob's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The People's Republic of Taxistan
Posts: 72
Post Rob and M's 80g Deep Blue

So, here we go. We've been fighting algae in my wife's reef tank for what seems like forever. A green slime that resisted light out for 3 days 4 times. The final straw came when one of the LED bars decided to go swimming one night. Nothing got poisoned which is good since we've had some of these fish for over 5 years. We import saltwater fish and corals from all over the world, some were gifts from collectors, some are irreplaceable since the collection areas they came from have been closed to collection.


The plan:
Pull the tank down during the coming week, clean it well to get rid of the salt and calcium residue. Apply a rock wall to the overflow to hide it. It will be using a sump for the heater and filtration. We're in new territory here so I'm all ears for filtration suggestions. I was going to go with a fluidized bed of plastic rings? Maybe?


Lighting:
I bought 2 of the ATLEDTiS Cookie+ lights and I'm looking for a 3rd just to make sure I have the correct light intensity. If it's too much, I can remove a puck from the system. Again, I'm all ears for suggestions.


Plants:
Looking to start with some easier plants to get our feet wet, then move on to more demanding species. I do have a CO2 system. I'm wondering where to place the diffuser, sump or main tank?


Fish:
Smaller tetras, Hatchet fish, Rasboras, Garras, oddball Otocinclus and Botia for snail control.


While I'm not new to planted tanks, I'm new to all of this newfangled wizardry. I started keeping tanks back in 1972, I bred Bettas, African cichlids, Angelfish, tetras, South American cichlids and livebearers. Back then African cichlids were new, rare and all the rage and were quite expensive for certain species. I've kept Crypts, Swords, Elodea, Cabomba and Vals so beyond that I'm in uncharted waters.


I've been pouring over the forums for the better part of 2 weeks since we made the decision to shut her tank down and change it to freshwater tanks.


Here are a few shots of her tank as a reef tank.





Greggz, Discusluv and Boxermom like this.
ReeferRob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,104
Sounds like a great project.

Funny it seems we have a good amount of reef to planted converts posting here lately.

Subscribed and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
ReeferRob and Boxermom like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Willcooper's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 967
Looking forward to seeing this come together. Regarding the co2, I would recommend if you have a standard ceramic diffuser to put it in the display unless you can position the diffuser so the bubbles go right into the return pump and back up to the aquarium. You want to try your best to dissolve the bubbles fully but if you canít (not usually with a stand-alone diffuser), try to make it so the return blows the bubbles so they evenly disperse throughout the tank and the bubbles are coming into direct contact with the plants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReeferRob and Boxermom like this.
Willcooper is offline  
 
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRob's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The People's Republic of Taxistan
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Looking forward to seeing this come together. Regarding the co2, I would recommend if you have a standard ceramic diffuser to put it in the display unless you can position the diffuser so the bubbles go right into the return pump and back up to the aquarium. You want to try your best to dissolve the bubbles fully but if you canít (not usually with a stand-alone diffuser), try to make it so the return blows the bubbles so they evenly disperse throughout the tank and the bubbles are coming into direct contact with the plants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if the longer dwell time inside the return piping would help with its dissolution?
Boxermom likes this.
ReeferRob is offline  
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:07 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 131
So something like this? Deep Blue 80 reef ready
Been doing reef since 1999...got bored and converted to planted.


Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Greggz, ReeferRob and Boxermom like this.
JeremyDMeyer76 is offline  
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRob's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The People's Republic of Taxistan
Posts: 72
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDMeyer76 View Post
So something like this? Deep Blue 80 reef ready
Been doing reef since 1999...got bored and converted to planted.


Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Is your overflow behind that rock pile? Could you shoot a side pic of that for me? I would really appreciate it. I was just going to silicone rocks to the plastic overflow.
ReeferRob is offline  
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
Is your overflow behind that rock pile? Could you shoot a side pic of that for me? I would really appreciate it. I was just going to silicone rocks to the plastic overflow.
Yes, the overflow is behind/under the rock pile. I use a few landscaping bricks to get some added height and just stacked the lava rock. I then added a couple larger cap pieces on top to further hide the overflow.

Your idea would work but us going to be tricky to make it look natural.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Greggz, ReeferRob and Boxermom like this.
JeremyDMeyer76 is offline  
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRob's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The People's Republic of Taxistan
Posts: 72
Question

OK, quick chemistry question. I have 50 gallons of RO water and I was going to add some our well water to remineralize it somewhat. I was going to go with 20 gallons and see where that lands me.




Looks like we'll be scaping tomorrow, the rest of the sand and rocks are due to be delivered. M is stoked to get started and she was looking over some of the freshwater transship lists I have for freshwater. That is until she saw how many come in a bag, lol. It's a little different ordering freshwater and saltwater where you get 1 fish in a bag.
ReeferRob is offline  
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
OK, quick chemistry question. I have 50 gallons of RO water and I was going to add some our well water to remineralize it somewhat. I was going to go with 20 gallons and see where that lands me.
Not sure what the question is?

But if you are making 50G of RO water, why not just use that for your water changes? If you add untreated well water, would be concerned about the iron content. So much depends on your source water.

And keep the updates coming. Very curious how you reefers transition over. Will be very interesting, and maybe teach us some new tricks.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 01:10 AM
Algae Grower
 
Boxermom's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Not sure what the question is?

But if you are making 50G of RO water, why not just use that for your water changes? If you add untreated well water, would be concerned about the iron content. So much depends on your source water.

And keep the updates coming. Very curious how you reefers transition over. Will be very interesting, and maybe teach us some new tricks.
We're lucky here; while our sinks, shower, etc are all on town water, we have an independent well that we use for the RO/DI. Our pond has run for years on RO waste and regular well water (fresh outta the hose, lol). I think he was considering adding a small amount of the plain well water along with the RO to try to add back some of the stuff that the RO removes. We'd have to test the well water, of course. (I'm the "M" in the title). It seems to strange to have my tank sitting empty right now. I'm looking forward to getting it up and running. Tonight's fun was cleaning the pump, plumbing, heater, and sump, aw well as giving the tank and sump a good wiping down. (Also the stand, it had a lot of salt creep all over it). The plan for tomorrow is cleaning the sand and doing a little preliminary scaping.
Greggz and ReeferRob like this.
Boxermom is offline  
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Greggz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Novi, MI
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxermom View Post
We're lucky here; while our sinks, shower, etc are all on town water, we have an independent well that we use for the RO/DI. Our pond has run for years on RO waste and regular well water (fresh outta the hose, lol). I think he was considering adding a small amount of the plain well water along with the RO to try to add back some of the stuff that the RO removes. We'd have to test the well water, of course. (I'm the "M" in the title). It seems to strange to have my tank sitting empty right now. I'm looking forward to getting it up and running. Tonight's fun was cleaning the pump, plumbing, heater, and sump, aw well as giving the tank and sump a good wiping down. (Also the stand, it had a lot of salt creep all over it). The plan for tomorrow is cleaning the sand and doing a little preliminary scaping.
This might be a first.

Two people involved in one thread. I like it. Brings a new dimension.

If your well water doesn't have issues, then mixing should be good. One thing to keep in mind is that well water can change seasonally, so KH/GH might not be constant. Might be of small concern now, but something to keep in mind if you base CO2 injection based on pH drop.

And if you think cleaning the pump, plumbing, sump, etc. is fun.......well I like your odds of success!
ReeferRob and Boxermom like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greggz is online now  
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Willcooper's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 967
Rob and M's 80g Deep Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
I wonder if the longer dwell time inside the return piping would help with its dissolution?


Youíre exactly right. All the better methods of injecting co2 are simply providing enough dwell time for the source co2. You have a lot of options in diffusing with your setup; diffuser releasing into return pump, adding a inline diffuser in front of or behind the return pump line, second pump operating a cerges reactor, diffuser feeding a bell diffuser. Endless options.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz, ReeferRob and Boxermom like this.

Last edited by Willcooper; 12-27-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Willcooper is offline  
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRob's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The People's Republic of Taxistan
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Not sure what the question is?

But if you are making 50G of RO water, why not just use that for your water changes? If you add untreated well water, would be concerned about the iron content. So much depends on your source water.

And keep the updates coming. Very curious how you reefers transition over. Will be very interesting, and maybe teach us some new tricks.

I was going to add some of the well water to add minerals back into the system. I'll take a sample to a friend and have it tested to see what's in it just to be sure. 20 years ago we used the well for our other freshwater tank with no issues. I know it's super high in CO2, so much so that I run the RO side of the RO/DI into a barrel to degass with an airstone, then through the DI resin filtration. I use a cation, anion and dual mixed bed DI for the final stage giving me 0 TDS water for the reef tanks. I was planning on using that for the auto top off system.
Greggz and Boxermom like this.
ReeferRob is offline  
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRob's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The People's Republic of Taxistan
Posts: 72
Thumbs down

I got good news and I got bad news. The good news is the tank is full and scaped. The bad news is the lights I want won't be here for 3 weeks. I'm fit to be tied right now. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow when the water clears some and I don't have the urge to throw the camera all the way to Korea and bean the manufacturer.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.
ReeferRob is offline  
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower
 
Boxermom's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 11
The news about our lights was a real bummer. Now it's back to the drawing board. Researching lights is not really my idea of fun...I'm more hands on (in), and I tend to leave the water chemistry to Rob. I really suck at chemistry, lol. I can't wait to add some fish and start planting, so waiting on the lights is really making me chafe at the bit.
Greggz and ReeferRob like this.
Boxermom is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome