• 1 Post By Hamizan Bmy
  • 1 Post By Hamizan Bmy
  • 2 Post By Hamizan Bmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First 10 gallon tank

This is my first post. I really wanted to start a planted tank project after my wife bought me a 40gallon tank 2 years ago. I have been keeping Discus for 2 years. Prior to start my first planted tank, I did a lot of readings, watching guide videos from Youtube.

I decided to start with a smaller 10 gallon tank as I am not willing to spend a lot of money on my first planted tank, considering I have almost no experience with planted tank. I bought my stuff 1 item by 1 item. Hooked up with a friend of mine for a custom made 10 gallon tank. then a week after, I bought ADA aquasoil. Every week, I bought new equipment, Pressurized CO2, Lightings, Filtration.

After I have everything, I went to my local pet store and bought whatever plants I see are nice without knowing what their name are and set them up.

I am not sure how Im going to arrange the photos. but here are their photos after a lot of rescaping.

Day 1:- looking back at it, I dont even know what I was doing, Started with AR, Java fern, Cryptocoryne and Monte Carlo carpet.

Day 2:- Shorten the AR stem after reading and asking suggestions from reddit.

Day 28:- got myself new Rotala Wallichi and AR mini. oh boy I was really having trouble taking care of RW.

Day 42:- still unhappy with how it looked, got myself Rotala Rotundifolia, Ludwigia Repens.

Day 45: Testing new lighting that I got, Algae took over the aquarium, Amanos loving them so much and damaged the AR leaves to the point of no return. Decided to removed them

Day 50:- Frustrated with what happened, went to another hobbyist and got new plants, planted them without thinking how they will looked like after they grow.

Day 65:- wow, the plants grew so fast and turned the tank into a jungle. really happy with how they grew, but not happy with how they looked.

Day 68:- trimmed them

Day 80:- repositioned most of the plants, and got myself new Ludwigia pularis and Flaming moss. giving AR and AR mini another try. This was the best look my tank have been so far.

Day 85

Day 90
Thelongsnail and Discusluv like this.

MS planted Tank

Last edited by Hamizan Bmy; 12-23-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added description
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not sure where to go from now. Ordered new lighting equipment "finnex planted+ 24/7" which will only arrive by february next year as I am from Southeast Asia

Dosed the tank with SL aqua beginner set for the first 3 months. Im gonna start with PPS pro dosing for tomorrow onwards
Discusluv likes this.

MS planted Tank
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Hamizan Bmy,

Very nice journal. Thank you for sharing.

After your trimming on day 68, I think your aquarium is looking great!

Couple suggestions:

1.) try to hide the tubing going to the CO2 diffuser. Maybe have the tubing come straight down the back-left corner instead of going diagonal across the back of the tank.

2.) see if you can expand that center carpet area to the front corners of the tank. Perhaps try a different, lower light, carpeting plant in the corners.

3.) let a few, less dense, plants grow taller and keep the denser, bushier plants at about half the height of the water line. this will help to get a more natural look.

Excellent work so far. Looking forward to following this journal.

Cheers,
TMQ

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am starting new ferts dosing PPS Pro.
Daily dosing of Macro and Micro. 30% water changes at Day 7

Weekly Dosed in water column are:

Macro :
NO3 - 7 ppm
PO4 - 0.7 ppm
K - 9.31ppm
Mg - 6.44ppm

Micro:
trace FE - 0.51ppm

Im not sure if the PO4 is enough. but will keep track on how the plants react. I will increase dosage If they shows PO4 deficiency

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
Hi Hamizan Bmy,

Very nice journal. Thank you for sharing.

After your trimming on day 68, I think your aquarium is looking great!

Couple suggestions:

1.) try to hide the tubing going to the CO2 diffuser. Maybe have the tubing come straight down the back-left corner instead of going diagonal across the back of the tank.

2.) see if you can expand that center carpet area to the front corners of the tank. Perhaps try a different, lower light, carpeting plant in the corners.

3.) let a few, less dense, plants grow taller and keep the denser, bushier plants at about half the height of the water line. this will help to get a more natural look.

Excellent work so far. Looking forward to following this journal.

Cheers,
TMQ

Thanks for the suggestion

2.) I am trying to propagate my Pogostemon Helferi after they grow and fill up the empty spaces. or maybe some S. repens.

3) I am having trouble to get my Rotala Rotundifolia to get bushier. I am not sure if it is caused by my lighting or the way I am trimming them. Will keep on trimming, let them branch out and replanting the tops for the next few weeks.

MS planted Tank
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your tank looks great! Really enjoyed reading your process- from beginner to a more knowledgeable beginner. Its awesome!
Keep up the good work.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much! I am pretty sure that my knowledge on planted tank is still below 5%. There are a lot of things that we can learn from this hobby!
Discusluv likes this.

MS planted Tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamizan Bmy View Post
I am starting new ferts dosing PPS Pro.
Daily dosing of Macro and Micro. 30% water changes at Day 7

Weekly Dosed in water column are:

Macro :
NO3 - 7 ppm
PO4 - 0.7 ppm
K - 9.31ppm
Mg - 6.44ppm

Micro:
trace FE - 0.51ppm
Why 6.44 ppm Mg a week when the usual is 0.7 ppm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My bad. It was 0.7ppm of mg

MS planted Tank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Heres what I did today :

Replaced powerhead filter with new wave maker for better circulation. Really loving how the plants swayed because of the stronger flow.

Repositioned the co2 diffuser for a better distribution. Not sure though if the distribution. Gonna have a closer look for the next few day.

Proapagate some of the S repens to front right corner. Looking forward for it to fill up the empty foreground.

Here's what my plan is for the next few weeks

1. Strict dosing routine.

2. Adjust lighting distance accordingly because Pogostemon helferii is growing very leggy. Can't wait for my finnex light to arrive on february.

3. Let Rotala Rotundifolia to grow to the top, trim halfway and replant the tops.
My question is how dense can I plant them apart? Is 2cm between stem too much?
Greggz and TheUnssenHand like this.

MS planted Tank
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Whats the tall red stem in the back middle above the flame moss? Ludwigia red?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode