1715Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #571 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Ken the tank is looking great.

What is your N:P:K weekly dosing lately? Thinking we might need to revive the "share your dosing" thread and see where everyone is.

And IMO carrot cake is highly underrated.......might be my favorite when done well. And that one looks pretty darn good!!
See below for my current dosing schedule. Also note that I've added CO2 dosing in ppm. I've been experimenting over the last couple of weeks and I believe this is the best way of presenting how much CO2 is being dosed. More coming up this weekend once I get my write-up finished.

Greggz, burr740 and Immortal1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 03:07 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Bump:
This sounds wonderful @Immortal1 ! Of course I would be thrilled to get some plants from you at some point. Thank you
We could trade for some Gold rams or yellow shrimp-- I have an overabundance of them.

The yellow shrimp would be a nice addition to the 20g low tech tank I have. Currently has a few male/female cherry shrimp in there. Wouldn't dare put them in the big tank - would likely be a quick snack for the big bows. I seem to grow the heck out of the Hygro kompact, Erio vietnam, and Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'. The Cardinal Flower (Lobelia Cardinalis) seems to grow pretty fast as well.

Bump: Nice parameters sheet @Ken Keating1 - like the additional info. I know Bettatail was working on verifying co2 flow at specific Porter B-125-6 flow rates - really should figure out where I am at tomorrow :-)
Greggz, Ken Keating1 and Discusluv like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Last edited by Immortal1; 04-15-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: <?>
post #573 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
The yellow shrimp would be a nice addition to the 20g low tech tank I have. Currently has a few male/female cherry shrimp in there. Wouldn't dare put them in the big tank - would likely be a quick snack for the big bows. I seem to grow the heck out of the Hygro kompact, Erio vietnam, and Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'. The Cardinal Flower (Lobelia Cardinalis) seems to grow pretty fast as well.

Bump: Nice parameters sheet @Ken Keating1 - like the additional info. I know Bettatail was working on verifying co2 flow at specific Porter B-125-6 flow rates - really should figure out where I am at tomorrow :-)
Give me a pm when your ready for a trade-- sounds good to me
As long as the plants are low-=tech-- it will work!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Amy

post #574 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great looking tank. Perfect plant conditions. Everything looks great. Didnít realize you have fish in it. LOL
Ken Keating1 likes this.
post #575 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ken, this really looks great that it has been opened up a bit! Also- that is a fantastic trade! I agree with @Immortal1 , I would much rather trade with someone- it is a good way to get new plants, or support someone starting in the hobby! I used to do that locally, but with the shelter in place I have been holding back on any of that.

Glad to see you are enjoying the tank, and very nice work with the detailed overviews on the different systems!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

|

post #576 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 AM
Algae Grower

The design of the reactor shows good science. As the volume of the pipe increases so more gas will go into solution. Basic physical chemistry that. It's kind of the reverse of why divers get the bends.
fftfk and Ken Keating1 like this.
post #577 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just want to know what I have to do to get my hands on a copy of that spreadsheet you are using?! Concise, ultra-informative - I love everything about it. Heck - I'd buy the rights to use it
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #578 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
I just want to know what I have to do to get my hands on a copy of that spreadsheet you are using?! Concise, ultra-informative - I love everything about it. Heck - I'd buy the rights to use it
@Greggz has a link in his sig for it last I checked.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #579 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
@Greggz has a link in his sig for it last I checked.
Yep two versions both in my link below (Google Drive Files)......3.0 for most folks........3.6 for those who like to think in terms of target dosing (Yeah I know it's complicated!).

Anyone can download, edit, and use any way they would like.

It does make it easy to provide a snapshot of your tank parameters.

---
---
post #580 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yep two versions both in my link below (Google Drive Files)......3.0 for most folks........3.6 for those who like to think in terms of target dosing (Yeah I know it's complicated!).

TBH, I feel we should be asking others to use the spreadsheet a little more often than we do. I see a lot of posts regarding folks having problems with their tanks but yet not providing any info about their tanks. If they could state what the problem is and post the spreadsheet with their tank parameters it would be much easier to help solve their issues.
DanG, Greggz and ProndFarms like this.

post #581 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

I feel a little sheepish admitting that I've never noticed it before after all this time, but thanks!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
DanG, Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #582 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
TBH, I feel we should be asking others to use the spreadsheet a little more often than we do. I see a lot of posts regarding folks having problems with their tanks but yet not providing any info about their tanks. If they could state what the problem is and post the spreadsheet with their tank parameters it would be much easier to help solve their issues.
Amen Ken. I completely agree.

The problem is most who are new and need help don't understand the spreadsheet.

But IMO, most would be doing themselves a favor to figure it out. Let's face it, a successful planted tank is a complicated thing, and takes some effort to get it right.

Also it's only available in my signature. Maybe there is some other place we can post it?? I have no problem with others adding the link to their signature it that helps. IMO, it's shared property for the benefit of the board and the hobby.

And it's a great way to keep track of of ones own tank. I take a snapshot and date it whenever I make any changes. That way I can look back and see what was going on when.
DanG, ProndFarms, burr740 and 2 others like this.

---
---
post #583 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 03:09 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Amen Ken. I completely agree.

The problem is most who are new and need help don't understand the spreadsheet.

But IMO, most would be doing themselves a favor to figure it out. Let's face it, a successful planted tank is a complicated thing, and takes some effort to get it right.

Also it's only available in my signature. Maybe there is some other place we can post it?? I have no problem with others adding the link to their signature it that helps. IMO, it's shared property for the benefit of the board and the hobby.

And it's a great way to keep track of of ones own tank. I take a snapshot and date it whenever I make any changes. That way I can look back and see what was going on when.
I would have no problem adding it to my sig. I assume the link is basically a "pointer" such that if you make changes to your spreadsheet, my pointer would point to the newest version.

Is there any way to add that link to the beginning of the "share your dosing" thread? Regardless, I think it's a great idea to share / use it and also agree that it can only help everybody - newbie or veteran.
DanG and Greggz like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #584 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Also it's only available in my signature. Maybe there is some other place we can post it?? I have no problem with others adding the link to their signature it that helps.
Great suggestion for adding the link in other's signature footer. I've gone ahead and done this, but I mention what the link is for so it's clear to newbies or others what's available in the link.
DanG and Greggz like this.

post #585 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After installing the scale on the tank and a couple weeks’ worth of taking notes, some interesting thoughts have come up. When posting or discussing dosing rates, why not list CO2 dosing in ppm? If one has a scale for the CO2 tank, it’s simple to do.
The advantage with listing ppm are:

1. It correlates with how we’re listing other dosing parameters which is in ppm.

2. It’s easy to do, all one needs is a scale to weight the CO2 and regulator.

3. It’s more accurate of listing CO2 usage than another method I’m aware of. One method is via bubbles per minute, but this doesn’t represent an accurate number because the amount of CO2 in an bubble varies with size and pressure, and there’s no practical way of measuring the size of an bubble, nor very few are measuring the pressure with accurate gauges. Another method is measuring by flow rates, which is also inaccurate also because of the combined inaccuracies of pressure gauges and flow meters, plus there’s conversion formulas due to pressure and temperature and calculations required to covert to STP as a common baseline. The other issue with flow rates is it’s doesn’t provide meaningful information. It’s like saying I’m dosing 2 teaspoons of KNO3 to my tank; there’s really not much you can do with this information unless one knows the tank size. Listing dosing rates in ppm tells one what’s being dosed regardless of tank size.

The equation for determining ppm is CO2 ppm = (grams used/grams water in system) x 1,000,000. The 1,000,000 is used to convert the value to ppm. There’s 3785.41 grams of water per 1 gallon of water, so if you’re used to dealing in gallons the equation is now:

CO2 hourly ppm = [(grams CO2 used per hour/(3785.41 x system gallons)] x 1,000,000.

This equation can be further simplified by dividing 1,000,000 by 3785.41 as follows:

CO2 hourly ppm = (grams used per hour x 264.17)/system gallons.

Over the past couple of weeks my average CO2 hourly dosing rate is 32. ppm. My lights and CO2 are on 6 hrs/day so my daily dosing rate is 192 ppm. I don’t believe we should be listing daily dosing rates as it’s dependent on how long folks are running their CO2 system, instead we should be listing the ppm hourly rate.

Example Calculation based on my tank: Over a 13 day period the amount of grams used was 570 grams. CO2 flow is on for 6 hours per day, so grams/hr would be:

CO2 grams used/Hour = (570 grams/13 Days)/6 Hours per day = 7.3 grams/hour.

CO2 Hourly ppm = (7.3 x 264.17)/60 = 32 ppm

For determining the amount of grams used, I weighed the tank prior to CO2 coming on on the first day, and then weighed the tank just after CO2 went off on the last day. I did this over a 13 day period, and then took the average. This is more accurate as it’s taking the average over a length of time. Typically, the scales being used will have drift; they’re not high accuracy due to the low costs, but taking the value over an extended period gave me better data. For more accurate and consistent readings, I found it helps to center the CO2 tank on the scale.

There are some disadvantages. One has to purchase a scale. But scales are not expensive, the one I’m currently using is less than $40. If one happens to have a fish scale, this will work also. Most of these scales will have some inaccuracies. I’ve notice that around 10% of the time the scale may not register a change for an hour, but the next hours that changes may be doubled. Or a couple of days the grams used is very high or very low. But by taking the averages over longer periods in our calcs negates these day to day oddities.

One advantage I’ve notice with using a scale is it’s easy to determine when a CO2 tank will be empty. To do this you’ll need to know what the tank weighs empty with the regulator attached. If you know what the daily consumptions of CO2 is in grams, the current tank/regulator weight, and the empty weight then it’s easy to calculate how many days are remaining in the tank. Trying to estimate using the pressure on the low pressure port of the regulator has never been accurate for me, it’s sort of hit or miss.

If you’re thinking about purchasing a scale, make sure it has the capability of providing a live, continuous reading. What this means is the scale continuously shows the tank weight. If not, it’ll be a hassle. As an example, some scales have an auto-off function mode that turns off the scale after two minutes. What happens is when you turn it on, you’ll most likely have to remove the tank, wait for the scale to auto-calibrate and show a reading of zero, and then re-set the tank on the scale to obtain a reading. After two minutes when the unit shuts off, you’ll have to start the whole process over. Having to remove the tank and replace it on the scale is a big headache. Most likely if the scale is battery operated only it’ll have an auto shutoff function. Now the bad thing is I don’t see when the manufactures list or show if the scale reads continuously in their product literature. The Smart Weight scale I purchased has continuous reading with the unit is plugged in to a receptacle via an AC/DC adapter, but it won’t do this if it’s on battery power only.

Also, if one is purchasing a scale make sure it can read in Kg. Most digital scales can read output in both metric and imperial scales, but weights in metric are much easier to work with as opposed to imperial units.

If anyone is still awake and has actually read this, please provide your thoughts. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode