Keating1's 55G - Water Changes - Page 38 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1715Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #556 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
I control the flow via the gate valve on the output of the CO2 reactor. I need to control the flow to reduce the gurgling noise from the overflow. The aquarium is in a bedroom that's been converted into an office aquarium room, but yet still has a bed. When one of my kids come home and use the bed I reduce the flow to reduce the noise. One of these days I plan on trying the DC pump route as an experiment, but for now the Eheim pump works great for the application. The Eheim pump has an internal foam filter, so it won't be able to ingest up any of the plants.
I see. So if you had to take the CO2 reactor offline, the tank circulation would be down during that time? I'd suggest either T-ing off your return and valving the reactor and return line (your pump should be able to handle that) or running the reactor with a dedicated pump. The later would be preferable to avoid double processing water. Just in case you ever had to service the reactor, you could take it offline (unions are your friend!) and keep the rest of the tank running. Just a thought. My tank is in my bedroom as well so I understand the necessity for quietness. This is, by far, the most silent pump I've ever used:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/might...ve-marine.html

They pack a hell of a punch for their size and are controllable. It likely wouldn't function to power everything in a 55 gallon tank, but it would run your reactor no sweat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I see. So if you had to take the CO2 reactor offline, the tank circulation would be down during that time?
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/might...ve-marine.html

They pack a hell of a punch for their size and are controllable. It likely wouldn't function to power everything in a 55 gallon tank, but it would run your reactor no sweat.
The sump is only 1/3 of the overall tanks's filtration system. See below for a diagram of the plumbing system. There's also two canister filters running. Let's just say I have plenty of filtration!!

The pump you recommended looks nice; how quiet it is? The $100 price is a very good price for a DC pump, but it's out of stock everywhere I look.
Greggz, burr740 and Immortal1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #558 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 01:44 AM
Plant Lover

I am learning so much from this thread. Thank you, Ken, and all the posters.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

29 gallon, pH controlled CO2, Current USA + Pro LED, Eco-complete, Eheim Classic.

20L gallon, same configuration with HOB filter, suffering from tank size envy.

post #559 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The sump is only 1/3 of the overall tanks's filtration system. See below for a diagram of the plumbing system. There's also two canister filters running. Let's just say I have plenty of filtration!!

The pump you recommended looks nice; how quiet it is? The $100 price is a very good price for a DC pump, but it's out of stock everywhere I look.
Ah, got it. I'd still recommend doing so as it makes life significantly easier. In any case, the pump is essentially silent. The most quiet pump I've come across. There is a reason it is always sold out. But it is small. Depending on your length of plumbing back to the main tank, pipe diameter and turnover rates, I don't know if I can recommend it for a 55. That said, with about 4 or 5 feet of 1/2 PVC/Vinyl, on the 29 gallon, I have it set on the lowest setting and could still probably dial it back with a valve some. It really is powerful for how tiny it is. Keep in mind, though, that it is acting only as a return. I have another one dedicated to running the CO2 reactor. I'm confident it would run both pretty easily, but not on the lowest setting.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #560 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the write up Ken, really enjoy seeing the inner workings of other setups. What is that container you are using as the ATO reservoir?

post #561 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Thanks for the write up Ken, really enjoy seeing the inner workings of other setups. What is that container you are using as the ATO reservoir?
Thanks H8! It's a Tamco 7 gallon polyethylene tank - 10" Dia. x 20" High
Hendy8888 likes this.

post #562 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Quote:
Thanks H8! It's a Tamco 7 gallon polyethylene tank - 10" Dia. x 20" High
Random but I was planning on just using a 10 gallon rubbermaid container to hold the ATO water. think it'd be an issue or is it safer to go with this FDA polyethylene tank?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #563 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Random but I was planning on just using a 10 gallon rubbermaid container to hold the ATO water. think it'd be an issue or is it safer to go with this FDA polyethylene tank?
You should be fine with the Rubbermaind container. But sometimes the Rubbermaid containers have very thin walls that make it difficult to make penetrations. Not knowing exactly what you're using is hard to say if it'll work or not, but most likely it'll work.

post #564 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I'm currently just using a 5 gal clear measuring bucket from HD. I don't think it can get much easier than that. However, I am looking to replace with a larger container.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #565 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A dog food container is a great container for ATO water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+...7lH1lgRthxKZuM
post #566 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The past weekend was spent trimming and removing plants. I got tired of the pygmy sword plants and removed quite a few of them. Interesting, the pygmy sword plants grew up to 9’ depending on how much light was received. In the photo below you can see how on the left the pygmy sword plants are very short because the plants are shaded by other plants. In the left center where they received full light the plants are much taller, some as high as 9”. The center right is were they don’t receive as much light and are shorter. In all cases the plants looked healthy and green.

I did notice the plants were larger and healthier than before and I’m assuming this was because of the extra T5HO I’ve was running the last couple of weeks. I took it out because the plants grew to quick, but I may end up putting it back in.

Luckily for me I was able to exchange the plants for a carrot cake from @Discusluv! I probably could of given her all my plants in my tank in exchange for the carrot cake and I would of still come out ahead in the deal. Her baking is fantastic, well worth the trade!

After the trim:

I can now see the fish!

post #567 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice plant scraps. Those would be great in my pico tanks.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #568 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ken the tank is looking great.

What is your N:P:K weekly dosing lately? Thinking we might need to revive the "share your dosing" thread and see where everyone is.

And IMO carrot cake is highly underrated.......might be my favorite when done well. And that one looks pretty darn good!!

---
---
post #569 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 01:43 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
@Ken Keating1 - I find I get much more enjoyment out of "trading" vs selling. Have traded or given away many plants from my tanks.
But, carrot cake - that is likely a better deal than I have ever received. Enjoy! Really gonna have to work out a good selection of plants one of these days for @Discusluv :-)
Have to admit - you tank is looking great Ken - lot of very healthy looking plants!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Ken the tank is looking great.

What is your N:P:K weekly dosing lately? Thinking we might need to revive the "share your dosing" thread and see where everyone is.

And IMO carrot cake is highly underrated.......might be my favorite when done well. And that one looks pretty darn good!!
Good idea

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #570 of 599 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
The past weekend was spent trimming and removing plants. I got tired of the pygmy sword plants and removed quite a few of them. Interesting, the pygmy sword plants grew up to 9’ depending on how much light was received. In the photo below you can see how on the left the pygmy sword plants are very short because the plants are shaded by other plants. In the left center where they received full light the plants are much taller, some as high as 9”. The center right is were they don’t receive as much light and are shorter. In all cases the plants looked healthy and green.

I did notice the plants were larger and healthier than before and I’m assuming this was because of the extra T5HO I’ve was running the last couple of weeks. I took it out because the plants grew to quick, but I may end up putting it back in.

Luckily for me I was able to exchange the plants for a carrot cake from @Discusluv! I probably could of given her all my plants in my tank in exchange for the carrot cake and I would of still come out ahead in the deal. Her baking is fantastic, well worth the trade!

After the trim:

I can now see the fish!
So glad you enjoyed the carrot cake. Im not very good at making them pretty, but I can bake them so they taste good- lol! Thats the most important part

Let me know when your ready for another one: cake, pie- cookies- whatever!!
I put all the pygmy swords in my discus tank-- I now have quite the carpet in this tank-- it looks fabulous! Now, if I can only keep it that way

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
@Ken Keating1 - I find I get much more enjoyment out of "trading" vs selling. Have traded or given away many plants from my tanks.
But, carrot cake - that is likely a better deal than I have ever received. Enjoy! Really gonna have to work out a good selection of plants one of these days for @Discusluv :-)
Have to admit - you tank is looking great Ken - lot of very healthy looking plants!

Bump:
Good idea
This sounds wonderful @Immortal1 ! Of course I would be thrilled to get some plants from you at some point. Thank you
We could trade for some Gold rams or yellow shrimp-- I have an overabundance of them.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode