Keating1's 55G - Page 26 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1212Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #376 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What a great story! Thanks for sharing Ken...

I wish I could take photos like you to show how amazing mine are doing as well from Larry-- but... we have you to do that
Mine are schooling with my African tetras in the 180. They seem to like one another.

These fish are beautifully colored and so healthy. Good breeding stock makes all the difference with these fish. I encourage everyone who is looking for this fish to check with their local aquarium society. You would be surprised at the high quality fish you can buy-- most of the time below the cost of the LFS.

So cool that you were able to go directly to look at his breeding operation. Ill have to ask him myself if I can go do this sometime.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Ken Keating1,

What a great story and what beautiful fish! Local aquarium clubs might seem 'obsolete' to some folks but it is a great way to find local folks with similar interests (obsessions?) and some healthy, locally raised fish and plants.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #378 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Tank is looking great man. I continue to be amazed how you and G.rob's tanks look so much bigger than 55s

post #379 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice pick up Ken!

The Praecox from G. Lange are the "Pagai" variety.

Do you notice any difference in the general shape/appearance of the new onces??
Ken Keating1 likes this.

---
---
post #380 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great story on finding those bows! I should research my area a bit better to see what I can find, but from what I see where I live is more into large cichlids, not so much rainbows...
Ken Keating1 likes this.

|

post #381 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
What a great story! Thanks for sharing Ken...

I wish I could take photos like you to show how amazing mine are doing as well from Larry-- but... we have you to do that
Mine are schooling with my African tetras in the 180. They seem to like one another.

These fish are beautifully colored and so healthy. Good breeding stock makes all the difference with these fish. I encourage everyone who is looking for this fish to check with their local aquarium society. You would be surprised at the high quality fish you can buy-- most of the time below the cost of the LFS.

So cool that you were able to go directly to look at his breeding operation. Ill have to ask him myself if I can go do this sometime.
I almost gave you a call and see if you and your husband wanted to travel to Stockton with me but I ended up making a last minute decision to go down. Larry was great, Iím sure heíd be more than welcome to have you visit his house and fish room.

Funny about yours schooling with African Tetras, mine are a lot of time schooling with the Rummynose Tetras.

You've been taking some pretty good photos, so no excuses for not posting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Ken Keating1,

What a great story and what beautiful fish! Local aquarium clubs might seem 'obsolete' to some folks but it is a great way to find local folks with similar interests (obsessions?) and some healthy, locally raised fish and plants.
SA, you and Amy have a very good point regarding local aquarium clubs. Clubs have lots of great contacts with very knowledgeable folks plus some clubs have some great speakers. When I attended the SAS club meeting, there must have been over 100 people there and the auction was unbelievable, I was surprised at the great equipment, fish and plants that were for sale. Plus I found out thereís local folks who are breeding fish(not just rainbowfish) that are much better quality than the LFS. These folks put their heart and soul into breeding good stock. Highly recommended folks join their local club, itís surprising what youíll find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Tank is looking great man. I continue to be amazed how you and G.rob's tanks look so much bigger than 55s
Thanks for the complement Joe, heck, the reason itís looking good is thereís a lot of plants in there that came from you, and all the micros in the tank are from you also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Nice pick up Ken!

The Praecox from G. Lange are the "Pagai" variety.

Do you notice any difference in the general shape/appearance of the new onces??
Thanks Greg, good to know what variety I received, I was wondering about that.

It appears the fish are a little more elongated that the LFS ones I acquired, but itís hard to tell as Iím comparing them to photos of my LFS ones at roughly the same size, but I donít know if Iím comparing photos of the same ages as I donít know at what age I acquired the LFS ones. But I will say these new ones have better color than the original LFS ones had at the same size. I think only time will tell once they reach maturity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Great story on finding those bows! I should research my area a bit better to see what I can find, but from what I see where I live is more into large cichlids, not so much rainbows...
I'd recommend you join the Facebook Group Rainbowfish Live, which is what Larry recommended. Thereís a breeder on the east coast named Lori whoís a moderator of the group, she may be able to help out in providing fish or know of someone who has fish.

post #382 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ken, any kind of fish/plant trip you take call me next time. I am always ready for that.

December's speaker at SAS is giving a presentation on aquarium photography! Im so excited! Ought to be a great meeting.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #383 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Ken, any kind of fish/plant trip you take call me next time. I am always ready for that.

December's speaker at SAS is giving a presentation on aquarium photography! Im so excited! Ought to be a great meeting.
Will definitely give you call!

I'll plan on attending the SAS in December, it sounds like it'll be fun. See you there!

post #384 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
I'd recommend you join the Facebook Group Rainbowfish Live, which is what Larry recommended. Thereís a breeder on the east coast named Lori whoís a moderator of the group, she may be able to help out in providing fish or know of someone who has fish.
+1.

But be careful @Grobbins48.....I just warned Ken that once you see all the beautiful variety of Bows out there, you will soon be needing a bigger tank!!

---
---
post #385 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Today’s the tank’s 2 year anniversary. Two years ago I filled the tank with water. Two days later on 11/22 I joined TPT.

The day I added water:

Two weeks later with plants and fish:

Lots of Anubias and Java Ferns as that's what the LFS recommended. I had no idea what these plants were.

If I only knew what I was getting myself into. High tech, low tech, micro, macro, ppm, tank journal, I didn’t know what these terms meant two years ago. I didn’t even change the canister filters for the 1st three months nor do a water change as I didn’t know better. To be honest, this hobby’s been a blast, very challenging, surprising, plus I've had great fun building stuff. The best thing that helped me out was this site, TPT, it’s provided a lot of great information from a lot of great folks. I only wished I had asked a lot of questions much earlier.

For what’s it worth, if you’re just staring this hobby, it can be overwhelming, confusing and frustrating for a while, but slowly things will start to make sense. And if it doesn’t make sense, ask questions here on TPT, it’s much easier and less expensive to learn from others rather than by trial and error.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the next year will bring, and I’m hoping whatever comes along holds at least 75 gallons!!
Hendy8888, Greggz, rzn7z7 and 8 others like this.

post #386 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
If I only knew what I was getting myself into. High tech, low tech, micro, macro, ppm, tank journal, I didnít know what these terms meant two years ago. I didnít even change the canister filters for the 1st three months nor do a water change as I didnít know better. To be honest, this hobbyís been a blast, very challenging, surprising, plus I've had great fun building stuff. The best thing that helped me out was this site, TPT, itís provided a lot of great information from a lot of great folks. I only wished I had asked a lot of questions much earlier.

For whatís it worth, if youíre just staring this hobby, it can be overwhelming, confusing and frustrating for a while, but slowly things will start to make sense. And if it doesnít make sense, ask questions here on TPT, itís much easier and less expensive to learn from others rather than by trial and error.
Happy Anniversary Ken!

Great post above. We all started somewhere.

I remember when I first joined this site I thought folks were speaking in tongues, and those tanks weren't for real. But over time slowly but surely things began to make some sense.

Funny thing here it is many years later and I am still trying out new theories and trying to get better. I guess that is part of the appeal. It's like a puzzle that we can never solve (well, except for Burr!!).

---
---
post #387 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
You know, I have been part of Rainbowfish Live, but never considered asking Lori herself what is relatively local to me. To Gregg's point, I need to be careful... I only have 55 gallons, and there are 13 rainbows plus plenty of others in there already... oops!
Greggz likes this.

|

post #388 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
To Gregg's point, I need to be careful... I only have 55 gallons, and there are 13 rainbows plus plenty of others in there already... oops!
Bay Area Aquatic's has a video on Larry's fish room and operation. Thanks to @Greggz for the link.

What I found interesting at Larry's was the amount of fish he had in his tanks and the only filtration was one or two sponge filters. Take a look at the start and at times 25:34, 27:30 and 43:07. I was surprised how many fish were in some of the tanks, and in these tanks all the fish looked great. I see discussions on forums about the number of fish in tanks, but I've also seen where tanks are completed loaded with fish, way beyond what folks are recommending, and yet the fish are doing quite well.

Well, I'm heading outside to do some more enabling, whoops, I mean yard work!

post #389 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I was surprised how many fish were in some of the tanks, and in these tanks all the fish looked great. I see discussions on forums about the number of fish in tanks, but I've also seen where tanks are completed loaded with fish, way beyond what folks are recommending, and yet the fish are doing quite well.
Wait until you see my tank in the near future. Larry and I got to talking, and as you know he has many very good blood lines started directly with eggs from Gary Lange. Soooooo.......one thing led to another........and, well, you know how that story ends.

Shipment to arrive on Tuesday!!

---
---
post #390 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Bay Area Aquatic's has a video on Larry's fish room and operation. Thanks to @Greggz for the link.

Larry's Home Fish Room

What I found interesting at Larry's was the amount of fish he had in his tanks and the only filtration was one or two sponge filters. Take a look at the start and at times 25:34, 27:30 and 43:07. I was surprised how many fish were in some of the tanks, and in these tanks all the fish looked great. I see discussions on forums about the number of fish in tanks, but I've also seen where tanks are completed loaded with fish, way beyond what folks are recommending, and yet the fish are doing quite well.

Well, I'm heading outside to do some more enabling, whoops, I mean yard work!
Ask the breeders how often they do water changes and how the stock moves in and out of their tanks.

Most people are not willing to be the mechanical and biological filtration for their tanks like Larry and most breeders are with overstocked tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode