1212Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Glad to see that worked.

I actually keep a small spray bottle with a Glut/H2O2 mix in it. While the water is down during a water change, I spray down all of the equipment. I think of it as preventative maintenance.

And tank and fish are looking great!
Great idea. Is that full strength glut/H2O2, or do you dilute them?
Ken Keating1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Great idea. Is that full strength glut/H2O2, or do you dilute them?
Full strength about 50/50 mix.

Keeps the equipment nice and clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #348 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
What are you running for lighting these days? I dropped to about 60ish PAR for the summer and am loving it!
I'm estimating around 100 PAR. So tell more about the 60ish PAR and the pros/cons. Did you reduce the ferts along with the lighting? I'm assuming there's a decrease in growth speed, but were there any other changes?

post #349 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

I actually keep a small spray bottle with a Glut/H2O2 mix in it. While the water is down during a water change, I spray down all of the equipment. I think of it as preventative maintenance.
Quote:

I also use the @Greggz method of Glut and H2O2 in a spray bottle between deeper cleanings.
Interesting, I would of never thought to use a 50/50 mixture solution. I have notice that I went through a bottle of Excel quickly, and that stuff is expensive, so a 50/50 solution would keep the cost down.

For Glut, are both of you referring to Excel and not glutaraldehyde, or are you actually using glutaraldehyde?
chayos00 likes this.

post #350 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
For Glut, are both of you referring to Excel and not glutaraldehyde, or are you actually using glutaraldehyde?
Metricide 14.

---
---
post #351 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I'm estimating around 100 PAR. So tell more about the 60ish PAR and the pros/cons. Did you reduce the ferts along with the lighting? I'm assuming there's a decrease in growth speed, but were there any other changes?
So funny you ask- yes and no on the growth speed. Also, just double check and it is 80 PAR vs my 150 full strength (not running lids). It is a bit slower and more manageable on the stems, they Myrio red still an inch a day along with ambulia. The algae is non existant on the plants besides a bit if BBA on older leaves, which is fine for me. The monte carlo is not growing amazing, but it is also still recovering my fy massive hack a few months ago.

Here is the really interesting part that I have not yet really brought up in my journal: I kept the macros the same, and dose micros usually only once a week after water change.

As of right now I see no need to add another light. With it being a 55 I good coverage with the one Beamswork, and maintenance has been easier.

Also the glut is Met 14 for me as well.
Greggz, chayos00 and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #352 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Metricide 14.
Quote:

Also the glut is Met 14 for me as well.
I didn't realize both of you(and probably numerous others) were using 50/50 glut/H202 solutions for cleaning and keeping algae off of wood, good to know, I just learned something new! Thanks for posting the tips.

Well, I wasted no time and ordered a gallon of Metricide 14, it should arrive on Tuesday. I'm hoping the gallon will last a lifetime!
Greggz and chayos00 like this.

post #353 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I didn't realize both of you(and probably numerous others) were using 50/50 glut/H202 solutions for cleaning and keeping algae off of wood, good to know, I just learned something new! Thanks for posting the tips.

Well, I wasted no time and ordered a gallon of Metricide 14, it should arrive on Tuesday. I'm hoping the gallon will last a lifetime!
I spray everything in my tank except my Sword plants, as it does help to keep BBA at bay for sure. H202 and Glut (Met14).

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #354 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
I spray everything in my tank except my Sword plants, as it does help to keep BBA at bay for sure. H202 and Glut (Met14).
Just to make sure I reading this right, during a WC your spraying exposed plants and exposed items within the tank using a 50/50 solution with no ill effects on plants or fish?
chayos00 likes this.

post #355 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Just to make sure I reading this right, during a WC your spraying exposed plants and exposed items within the tank using a 50/50 solution with no ill effects on plants or fish?
Some plants are more sensitive than others, so I would test a few with a spray to see how they handle it. Like I mentioned my swords can't handle it. So depending how sensitive they may be spray and then fill the tank up, or spray wait for a minute or two and then spray plants with water to dilute. But hardscape, soak it! LOL

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #356 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I performed a major trim two week ago, but by now you can hardly tell. I took off the Java Moss, and reattached a few pieces using acrylic yarn. Acrylic yarns works very well, it's easy to work with because of the wider width as opposed to thread and doesn't melt away like cotton yarn.

Reattached Java Moss:

After 12 days of growth:

More photos:

post #357 of 428 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The first time I went away for two weeks I cut light intensity/duration way back as part of my strategy.

It was interesting. Some plants hardly blinked, while others rebelled. Of course, the complainers were light hungry plants like L. Pantanal, Rotala Mac. Var./etc. They raced to the surface trying to get nearer the light, and the fast growth was very thin and weak. Took a while to recover. Others went from rich color to more greenish, like L. Sp. Rubin and Peruensis.

Just saying it can be a mixed bag depending on what you have in the tank. If I was leaving for an extended period now, would cut back light very little and continue normal ferts. I would just hack things down before I left.

Now as to filters, I think that could be light related as well. The more light, the more you are on the edge and need every advantage. Lower light likely provides more room for error.

And here is the thing. I am sure less light would make everything easier..........but I can't drive 55!!
In lieu of hijacking @Grobbins48 thread, I pulled this quote from G48's thread to here.

So earlier this summer i left the tank alone for over two weeks(Post # 329) and the tank survived. But now I'll be out 3-1/2 weeks, the only item being done is fish feeding. I have two LED lamps currently on for six hours/day. I thinking what I'll do is do a major trim and a little upfront loading after the last WC, then dose at 1/3 of the ferts from then on. When I get back the ppm levels should be close to what I have at the end of the week before a WC. One LED light will come on for 6 hours, but the other will be on for three hours. I'm thinking the plants may struggle a little the first week or two with low ferts, but then rebound as the ferts pick up.

I'm not too worried if plants rebel, if worst comes to worst, a bunch of folks here on TPT may get a SOS ROAK PM when I get back!!!

Anyone have any thoughts???
Greggz, ipkiss and Grobbins48 like this.

post #358 of 428 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like a plan and will be happy to send stuff your way if I have what you want.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #359 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Due to life, work and a hiking trip, the tank went on hold for 4 weeks as I was not around to work on it. I was concerned what would happen and I was really concerned about ferts and water changes and really wasn't sure what to do with the big question being how much would I need decrease lighting and ferts without water changes. Plus what happen if something went wrong while I was gone? At the last moment I did an internet search and found a person who maintained aquariums in the area, had him come over so I could interview him and get a sense of his experience and trustworthiness. Fortunately he was a great guy(Cameron, The Fish Guy) so I hired him to change the water once a week and check things out. This worked out great as it took a lot off my mind and if something came up I knew he would be able to respond quickly.

For feeding, my daughter drop in pre-measured food once a day. The only issue that came up was one day during feeding one hatchet fish jump out of the tank, cleared the canopy with the top being 7 inches above the water level, and landed on the floor! Wow, I didn't realize they could jump above the canopy. Fortunately she pick the fish up and tossed it back into the tank and it survived.

Prior to me leaving, I trimmed the plants to anticipate 4 weeks of growth. See below for before and after photos:

Prior to leaving:

4 Weeks Later:

Over the next week I'll slowly start to trim plants, change filters, and get the tank back into order. Plus I'll try to catch up on everyone's journals, I have a lot of reading to do!
Hendy8888, Greggz, vvDO and 8 others like this.

Last edited by Ken Keating1; 11-11-2019 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Reposted Photos
post #360 of 428 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Good to hear from you Ken. Glad things went well and hope you had a great time.

Can't wait to see what you do with the trim!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode