Keating1's 55G - Page 23 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1212Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, summer and hiking trips are almost over and I'm looking forward to getting back into the hobby and TPT. For the past six weeks I've had little time to work on the aquarium, just water changes, filter changes, and a minor trim here and there. What's odd is the tank has gone from looking fair to looking good back and forth over this period. My tank always seems to flow and ebb which is odd as I've been dosing the same since February. This is what makes this hobby so challenging.

Here's some photos I've taken over the past couple of days:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your plants are stunning and rainbows look happy healthy and beautiful. And that's with you having "little time to work on the aquarium" , LOL!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #333 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
We need to poke and prod you into a bigger tank with more front to back depth Ken. I'd love to see what you can do with more room to work with. It's stunning enough as it is for sure.

post #334 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Funny how some tanks are instantly recognizable.

Yours is one of those for sure.

It that's the way the tank looks when you neglect it, can hardly wait to see it when you give it more attention.
Ken Keating1 and sittinglynx like this.

---
---
post #335 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinglynx View Post
Your plants are stunning and rainbows look happy healthy and beautiful. And that's with you having "little time to work on the aquarium" , LOL!
Thanks Sittinglynx! Since the end of June there's been three weeks where the only work being done was someone(wife, kids or house sitter) would drop in a pre-measured vial of food into the tank once a day. Let's just say I had my fingers crossed! My dosing and evap water replenishing are automated, so that helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botia dude View Post
We need to poke and prod you into a bigger tank with more front to back depth Ken. I'd love to see what you can do with more room to work with. It's stunning enough as it is for sure.
Thanks BD! I almost pulled the trigger on a Craigslist 75 gallon tank two weeks ago but I had to leave town the evening it was posted and it sold by the time I got back. Darn! The tank is on the 2nd floor and anything larger and I'd have to drop the 1'st floor ceiling and strengthen the joists. But I'm giving it some serious thought about doing the latter as I think it could easily be done(famous last words).

BTW, how was the SFBAAPS get together over the summer? Please provide details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Funny how some tanks are instantly recognizable.

Yours is one of those for sure.

It that's the way the tank looks when you neglect it, can hardly wait to see it when you give it more attention.
Thanks Greggz! I'm not what it would look like if I gave it more attention, that could be a negative sometimes as I tend to overthink the issues! LOL.

BTW I just ordered the Magclips per your recommended site, Kensfish. There something about that name that I really like!
Greggz and sittinglynx like this.

post #336 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I noticed I had a few spots in the tank with no plants(jokingly stated). Of course, the only way of solving this huge dilemma is to look at Burr740’s For Sale Thread and when I do it always costs me money! I ordered Mermaid Weed, L. Reds and Blyxa Alternifolia. I’ve been eyeing Mermaid Weed for a while now, I really like the shape of it, plus the name is so unique. It’s much more fun to tell friends and kids I’m growing mermaid weed as opposed to saying Proserpinaca Palustris. As always when I order from Joe, all plants are perfectly wrapped and look great.

So now I need to figure out where to put these new additions. Some plants are going to have to go, I’m just not sure which ones. Umm, that larger tank purchase in looking better all the time!

Some more photos of the tank. Back in November I acquired some very small blue ramshorn snails. Now they’re much larger and I really like them, they have nice color and you can really spot them in the tank.

Greggz, rzn7z7, burr740 and 8 others like this.

post #337 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good Ken. I am in the same boat as you with time on the tank. Finally gave an update today, and will work on being a bit more regular again!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

|

post #338 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
I noticed I had a few spots in the tank with no plants(jokingly stated). Of course, the only way of solving this huge dilemma is to look at Burr740ís For Sale Thread and when I do it always costs me money! I ordered Mermaid Weed, L. Reds and Blyxa Alternifolia. Iíve been eyeing Mermaid Weed for a while now, I really like the shape of it, plus the name is so unique. Itís much more fun to tell friends and kids Iím growing mermaid weed as opposed to saying Proserpinaca Palustris. As always when I order from Joe, all plants are perfectly wrapped and look great.

So now I need to figure out where to put these new additions. Some plants are going to have to go, Iím just not sure which ones. Umm, that larger tank purchase in looking better all the time!

Some more photos of the tank. Back in November I acquired some very small blue ramshorn snails. Now theyíre much larger and I really like them, they have nice color and you can really spot them in the tank.

Ive missed you Ken. Happy to see your updates again and (maybe) in person at the next SAS meeting. Oleg didnt go last time, but may go to next meeting/auction.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

post #339 of 428 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

Thanks BD! I almost pulled the trigger on a Craigslist 75 gallon tank two weeks ago but I had to leave town the evening it was posted and it sold by the time I got back. Darn! The tank is on the 2nd floor and anything larger and I'd have to drop the 1'st floor ceiling and strengthen the joists. But I'm giving it some serious thought about doing the latter as I think it could easily be done(famous last words).

BTW, how was the SFBAAPS get together over the summer? Please provide details.
Sorry I've taken so long to answer Ken, recovering from multiple wisdom tooth removal and a few other things going on. I think you could easily get away with a 48x22x22 or a 36x22x22 UNS rimless tank. It's only an inch taller than a 55g so I don't think it will produce much extra load. However, I'm not an engineer so don't take my guess based on logic and hearsay as gospel :-) Drill it for a low profile herbie overflow and you've got the perfect tank I think!

The fishb'q was great Ken. We missed you and sadly, you missed out on the vittles. Two smoked pork shoulders (pulled), brioche buns and 5 different sauces, a whole smoked chicken, 5 breasts, and a mess of tasty sides. That's not even counting Amy's pies or the wonderful company. There were about 13 guests and a whole lot of plants and manzanita. Everyone walked away with something whether it be plants, wood, supplies, or leftovers. I do know you were having fun with the family and that couldn't be replicated here haha. I hope you had a blast on your summer trips.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #340 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My Ludwegia Sp Red was slowly going downhill so I acquired some more from Burr740. They started to go downhill also, so I upped my dosing for Boron, Iron, and Ca and they're starting to turn around nicely. I'll post my new dosing regime after I stop tweaking it.

Some photos from today with fish shots.

It takes skill to time the shot with fins flared with hatchet fish in the background! In other words, I took the photo and noticed afterwards the hatchet fish.

Melanotaenia praecox(Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish)

Greggz, vvDO, chayos00 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Ken Keating1; 09-05-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Deleted duplicate word
post #341 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
My Ludwegia Sp Red was slowly going downhill so I acquired some more from Burr740. They started to go downhill also, so I upped my dosing for Boron, Iron, and Ca and they're starting to turn around nicely. I'll post my new dosing regime after I stop tweaking it.

Some photos from today with fish shots.

It takes skill to time the shot with fins flared with hatchet fish in the background! In other words, I took the photo and noticed afterwards the hatchet fish.

Melanotaenia praecox(Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish

Oh My! I hope my Praecox are this beautiful when they grow up.
Ken Keating1 and sittinglynx like this.

post #342 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Algae Grower

Ken your beautiful pictures make me want to stock rainbows again, lol!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #343 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I've had some BBA on my intake tubes and discharge nozzles. As we all know, removing BBA off of objects is not easy So after reading about dipping plants in Excel and @Greggz 's wiping Excel on his center piece wood, I thought I'd try brushing on Excel in the tank on the exposed items during a water change, wait a week and see how easy it comes off. It worked like a charm, the BBA came off easily with a paper towel. For the application brush I used a cheap painting brush from Home Depot.

Nozzle before wiping it down:

After wiping the surfaces quickly with a paper towel, 30 seconds max:

I'm going to start to brush Excel on known area's of BBA accumulation during WC's as a preventative measure. It should work out well

And here's some more photos of the tank and fish:

Greggz, ipkiss, chayos00 and 4 others like this.

post #344 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
So I've had some BBA on my intake tubes and discharge nozzles. As we all know, removing BBA off of objects is not easy So after reading about dipping plants in Excel and @Greggz 's wiping Excel on his center piece wood, I thought I'd try brushing on Excel in the tank on the exposed items during a water change, wait a week and see how easy it comes off.
Glad to see that worked.

I actually keep a small spray bottle with a Glut/H2O2 mix in it. While the water is down during a water change, I spray down all of the equipment. I think of it as preventative maintenance.

And tank and fish are looking great!

---
---
post #345 of 428 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice update Ken.

I just cleaned all my hardware (no wood or anything) and usually use a bleach and water mix. Pulls everything off.

I also use the @Greggz method of Glut and H2O2 in a spray bottle between deeper cleanings.

What are you running for lighting these days? I dropped to about 60ish PAR for the summer and am loving it!
Greggz, chayos00 and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode