Keating1's 55 Gal Tank Journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 769Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
The other thing I learned is we’ll never obtain the perfect dosing regime because different plants react differently to the ppm’s in our aquariums.

You mentioned that I was not close to toxic amounts, but I’m thinking we need to have a term, say tolerance level, for our plants, because I believe some plants respond differently to certain ppm amounts. As and example, my monte carlo carpet really like the 11/2/18 recipe, but the HC hated it.
Well Ken you said you wanted this journal to be a discussion, and I think you brought up an excellent point.

IME, plant species react differently to changes in fert dosing.

Here’s an example. I recently lowered all my dosing (except Ca/Mg). Almost every single species reacted positively……..except Pantanal? So I PM’d Burr to get his thoughts. Interestingly, he has also been lowering dosing, and guess what? Everything seems to like it…..except Pantanal! We are both seeing very similar symptoms.

So now we are both trying to figure out what it likes more/less of. As I mentioned to Burr, I am going to go about it slowly, as I hate chasing one plant at the expense of others.

And sometimes it depends on how long/hard you want to bang your head against the wall. For instance, I can grow a “difficult” plant like Rotala Macranda Var. quite well, but struggle with S. Repens and AR Mini. Should I change things to please the ones I struggle with? I used to, but not so much anymore.

So I completely agree with your thought that there is no “perfect” dosing regimen. Part of the process is figuring what works best in YOUR tank.

Quote:
I had a local laboratory test the water right before the last water change and right before I switched to the 12/2/18 recipe, out of curiosity to see what the results were. The test results are per below, with a comparison to my dosing amounts following afterward. Any comments or suggestions from all would be appreciated.
This is very interesting stuff. Haven’t had time to digest it all, but will give it a good look soon. I’m sure something to learn there.

What are your thoughts on the readings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What a Journal! As others mentioned you raised journal making to a whole new level. I just started mine as well but no where near this. So much thought and attention put through every details of the tank and the results are showing. Mind blown! Because of that you earned a sub!. Looking forward for more updates!
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

RyanP

post #33 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Great stuff, definitely subbing to this... That reactor, man oh man, is revolutionary! I think you may have just created the "best delivery system" for CO2. Time will tell, but The VV Reactor is going places. I'd buy stock in it
Ken Keating1 likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #34 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

This is very interesting stuff. Haven’t had time to digest it all, but will give it a good look soon. I’m sure something to learn there.

What are your thoughts on the readings?
With the holidays coming up, I have not had a chance to review the numbers in detail. But having the tests performed has allowed me to think about what we do and I’m seeing a different perspective that I haven’t thought about before. I’m very analytical and I want to see numbers, and then apply them accordingly. My thought was, take test readings, compare them to what I’m dosing, figure out the plant uptake, and figure out what I need to increase or decrease. But there are a lot of unknowns with how plants react. As an example, we really don’t know at what ppm level our plants need in the water column to be most effective at taking those nutrients in. Say our plant’s uptake in iron is .5 ppm per day. But that may not occur until the water column is at .7 ppm, but I’m not aware of any literature that tells us this. So I’m thinking, what we should be doing is constantly experimenting, moving ppms up and down and observing how the plants are reacting. And the folks that are doing this have beautiful plants.

So that’s what I’ve been thinking about. Well, that and what aquarium gift I need that I can purchase, wrap it up, and tell my wife look what Santa brought!
Greggz likes this.

post #35 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:46 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

So that’s what I’ve been thinking about. Well, that and what aquarium gift I need that I can purchase, wrap it up, and tell my wife look what Santa brought!
I was thinking the same thing!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #36 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZB View Post
I was thinking the same thing!
I know at my house, this would not be the first time it's happened!

post #37 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great journal! Thanks for documenting this. I love the variety of plants you are able to grow healthy in not such a big tank.

I love Anubias, but have never able to keep them free of GSA in a high tech environment. So are you dosing only 15 ppm Ca and 5 ppm Mg every week? I see that you are using RODI water, but I am not able to understand the Ca and Mg dosing in the bottom of your dosing sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #38 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
I see that you are using RODI water, but I am not able to understand the Ca and Mg dosing in the bottom of your dosing sheet
Thanks Vijay_06. Yes, I'm dosing 15 ppm of Ca, and 5 ppm of Mg into my RODI water. With 50% WC every week, most likely this would approximately be the ppm levels in the tank also.

post #39 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Attempting a Christmas red and green colored aquarium photo! Hope everyone has a good time over the holidays!!

post #40 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ken I like it.....very clever and in the spirit of the Holiday!

Well done.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

------------------
post #41 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

So beautiful and festive! Merry Christmas to you, Ken!
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #42 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Greggz and @Discusluv; Thanks! Out of curiosity, how do the colors show up on your end? I just noticed, on an older laptop here the colors turn out poor, no red, almost a burgundy color. On another monitor, the reds and greens are definitely a lot better.

Happy Holidays!

post #43 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 07:31 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Colors look pretty good to me. Here's a screen cap of how it looks on my end.

Happy Christmas everyone!
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #44 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Due to the busy nature over the holidays, the tank trimming has been neglected and the tank has turned into jungle mode. I won't be able to trim it over the couple of days due to other priorities, but by next weekend I'll be getting out the hedger trimmers!

On a sad note, my Monte Carlo claimed the lives of two of my female dwarf neon(Praecox) rainbows today. The MC started to lift, and somehow they got underneath and became trapped. I would of thought they have been able to get back out, but no such luck. I never would of though the lifting of the MC would have dire consequences. It always a learning experience with a planted tank.

Greggz likes this.

post #45 of 298 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:58 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ken, first off sorry about the bows. Our hobby is always a learning experience, good and bad.
Now, I have to thank you. Your "jungle mode" makes me feel a bit better about the overgrown mess that I returned to after being out of town for 5 days.
With any luck we will both be posting some "post trim" pics :-)
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Immortal1; 12-29-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: <?>

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode