75g Planted v2.0-From Inception to Completion - Page 21 - The Planted Tank Forum
 399Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 320 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Well, will ya look at that. Pretty clever! When I did tank maintenance with strip lights I usually flipped one on top of the other. In your case that leaves the know very accessible and would seem pretty easy to remove the lid.

Now you just have to clean the factory glass brace a little better.....
I'M Kidding!!!!!
I'm hoping the knob holds up long term. Basically I found a knob with a little indent on the underside and then used a ton of superglue to attach them. Tank word aside what's more important is the two times a day I feed the fish (and mornings when I feed the plants), during which time I have to move a piece of glass. It would be a PITA to grab the glass and move it without anything, but now I can grab that knob and just slide to the right and then slide back. For maintenance I do the same and then move the lights all the way back on top of one another.

@ChrisX - One of the reasons I went with these pieces is because they shouldn't need cutting IF the knobs continue to work. If they don't, then I will need to explore other options.

Edit:

Suppose I should update plants tonight, but for now, some fish update as well.

I'm definitely down to 4 Rainbows from 8, but only have discovered 3 dead fish. So either:
A. Fish is in tank and I can't find it.
B. Fish flopped out behind the stand.
C. Fish flopped out in front and a cat ate it.

As the area hasn't had a stench recently, I'm hoping B is not the case. C is possible, but the two I found outside the tank flopped out overnight, and they were there in the morning for me to collect even though the cats are up before me. Tonight I think I'll do a more thorough inspection through the forest that is hydrocotyle and perhaps one or two other places.

Starting out I had 1M/1F of each:
Boesemani Rainbow
Lake Tebera (Yellow) Rainbow
Kamaka Rainbow
Turquoise Rainbow

My male Boesemani and Turquoise are still there. Yellow male is definitely gone. The Kamakas and female Turquoise were similar enough I'll have to work more to determine who is still around.

Saw a shrimp yesterday, still have recently spotted 3-4 ottos and loaches at a time, and 15ct on barbs, plus both Pearls are still there, with tilty actually looking a bit better, though still being an ass at times.
Greggz likes this.

NEW 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 320 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright, here it is, the big one. Watch your bandwidth, there are pictures ahead.

Let's start with just a general look at the tank:

And now a look at where everything is as it stands now, along with today's addition of a Red Tiger Lotus.

A Hygrophila polysperma
B Nypmhaea zenkeri
C Ludwigia repens
D Lobelia cardinalis
E Limnophila aromatica mini
F Clinopodium brownei
G Blyxa japonica
H Ranunculus inundatus
I Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
J Crytocoryne undulata
K Bacopa monnieri
L Pogostemon erectus
M Hydrocoytle leucocephala
N Aponogeton madagascariensis
O Hydrocotyle cf. tripartita
P Ammania senegalensis
Q Pogostemon pumilus
R Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia
S Cryptocoryne lucens

A really grows, and twice now I've really cut it back and am trying to get it to stay vertical in the corner. E has taken off great, with great under leaf color, just trimmed that tonight as well. D would probably spready great if I gave it more room. Honestly at this point I have too many plants doing well enough that there is just not enough room for everything. G is also going great and has fully bushed up. F gets lost if I don't cut back A a lot. L is okay, but I eliminated half of it tonight to plant B, which is tiny right now but should add some needed red to that space over time. H is spreading like crazy. Between that, G, and O, I frankly have 3 carpets I'd be more than happy to see over the whole tank. K grows great, but tends to get uprooted and I'm having a hell of a time keeping especially new plantings down as I attempt to widen it as it's a great "fence" to hide the heater. I worrid so much about J and S, but now S is actually 3 small plants looking good and J is 1 plant really coming into its own. C looks healthy in its new home, just not growing much. O is a [censored][censored][censored][censored]ing beast, and have pictures later to show just how thick that is. I and N are new additions from last week. Q got moved over from the corner and P, which was a potpourri of 4 plants got thinned and trimmed to 1 and planted around I.

Here is a closeup of the Blyxa:

The crypts:

The Red Tiger Lotus:

The hydrocotyle:

Okay, so I think that brings us up to date on plants, let's talk about fish. So I stopped at the one really nice LFS on my way home today and got talked into a 1M/2F combo of Red Laser Rainbowfish to replace my losses. Frankly I paid WAAAAAY too much for them, but I looked at it as supporting a great business. I also got 4 more amino shrimp and some liquid propel iron to hopefully strengthen the red in the plants that have it.

Stocking is now as follows:
10 Amano*
5 Loaches*
6 Otos*
15 Snakeskin Barbs
2 Pearl Gourami
*assumed numbers

As for the Rainbows, for sure:
3x Red Laser (1M/2F)
1x Male Boesemani
1x Male Turquoise
2x combination of F Boes, F Turquoise, M/F Kamaka. I'm hoping @Greggz can help on that last part.

And for that, some fish pictures.

As for the Pearl situation, his favorite target right now is definitely the male Boese. I *really* like the Pearls, but due to him they may be on the way out rather soon.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #303 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Embarking on a very adventurous test today. My CO2 was again about to run out, again well before it should, and I thought back to all the things I've tested and the only thing that really doesn't seem to work as it should is the flowmeter, be by its own fault or the fault up or down line. And with no leaks I was able to detect to be sure I leave it as my prime suspect. So I eliminated the flowmeter for now.

For those keeping track at home, I also don't have a bubble counter. I now have no visual check on how much CO2 is going into the tank.

So how is that going to work? For one, I opened up the flowmeter while still connected and dialed in the needle valve to run a little hot. Then I left the regulator and needle valve untouched when I swapped the tank, leaving the settings the same. This is where some visual/audio cues and the controller comes into play. I know if a large excess of CO2 is heading in because I will hear extra noise inside the Griggs reactor and see bubbles start coming out of the spray bar. Assuming neither of those things happen, and the pH drops in the time it normally would, I figure I'm good. I turn on CO2 two hours before lights, and my target rate is a pH drop in 1.5 hours after starting, but anywhere from 1-2 hours and I don't think it'll have any adverse effects on the fish, though they will be monitored.
Greggz likes this.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #304 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:39 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
Embarking on a very adventurous test today. My CO2 was again about to run out, again well before it should, and I thought back to all the things I've tested and the only thing that really doesn't seem to work as it should is the flowmeter, be by its own fault or the fault up or down line. And with no leaks I was able to detect to be sure I leave it as my prime suspect. So I eliminated the flowmeter for now.

For those keeping track at home, I also don't have a bubble counter. I now have no visual check on how much CO2 is going into the tank.

So how is that going to work? For one, I opened up the flowmeter while still connected and dialed in the needle valve to run a little hot. Then I left the regulator and needle valve untouched when I swapped the tank, leaving the settings the same. This is where some visual/audio cues and the controller comes into play. I know if a large excess of CO2 is heading in because I will hear extra noise inside the Griggs reactor and see bubbles start coming out of the spray bar. Assuming neither of those things happen, and the pH drops in the time it normally would, I figure I'm good. I turn on CO2 two hours before lights, and my target rate is a pH drop in 1.5 hours after starting, but anywhere from 1-2 hours and I don't think it'll have any adverse effects on the fish, though they will be monitored.
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with the co2. You have learned the various little things that make a difference (sounds, ph drop rate, etc). In my system, I have gotten to the point where the ph controller is being used more to show ph in the tank as opposed to controlling the ph. I know where the pressure should be, where the needle valve needs to be, and how the reactor will sound when it has a bit too much.

I suspect you will be just fine with your co2 setup. Will be interesting how long your tank will last assuming nothing is changed except the flow meter

post #305 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another of the Rainbows dead tonight, it's not the male Turquoise, but it was either the female or one of the Kamakas that remained. Schedule is tight tomorrow night, but the Pearls are getting donated. Hopefully I can make the trip to the good LFS before they close at 7pm, otherwise they're getting punished and going to Pets Plus.

Still have the male Boesemani, male Turquoise, the 1m/2f Red Lasers (who are showing cool colors earlier than expected), and 1 unsure (either f Turquoise of a Kamaka).

Edit: Being down the two biggest fish after donation, and down to 6 Rainbows from 8, I might get a small school of top-level schoolers since the Snakeskins tend to stay low and can hide at times as well.
Greggz likes this.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #306 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:58 PM
Captain

Sorry to hear about the additional loss :-(

post #307 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I should have taken action sooner, it wasn't a guess, I regularly saw the Pearl causing problems and let it go too long. After my last post I returned to see him after his regular target, the male Turquoise and said screw it and shipped them off to Pets Plus. It's funny, the first one was easy. Only net these guys have seen just collects leaf debris, could have easily had any Pearl or Rainbow I wanted. Getting the second Pearl... that was not at all fun. I have an hour of brush clearing and aquascaping to do tomorrow.
Greggz, Maryland Guppy and tater12 like this.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #308 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright, thanks to Greggz I now have a better idea of the Rainbowfish currently in the tank:

1M/1F Boesemani
1M Kamaka
1M/2F Red Lasers

Decided for forego the other fish and use this opportunity for another shipment to replace the Rainbows and the Pearls and really make this a Rainbow tank.

1F Kamaka (to complete pair)
1M/1F Goyder River
1M/1F Turquoise Rainbow
1M/1F Yellow Rainbow

If all goes according to plan they'll be in Tuesday.

As far as plants, need to do an update at some point. Main points is that the sword seemed to struggle at first but I believe is rebounding now. The lace plant has this runner thing that won't stop getting longer, and I really need to investigate that. It runs up to the talk and across most of the tank. The AR doesn't seem as impressive as I remember but is stable.

The real recent stars are the Red Tiger Lotus which is coming in quickly and starting to fill in and color the space exactly as I had hoped, and the now middle crypt which is really looking good in that space. I really need to trim away some Hydrocotyle from that and elsewhere.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #309 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:43 AM
Captain

Sounds like some great additions !
Greggz likes this.

post #310 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks, I considered getting some new guys, and even though the Kamakas and Turquoise are so close people seemed really high on the Turquoise and so I want to get some to maturity and I think they'll look great side by side. Yellows really stood out and I'll be very happy to have them back. And the Goyder Rivers weren't available last time so very happy they are in stock now.

Bump:
Quote:
Thanks, I considered getting some new guys, and even though the Kamakas and Turquoise are so close people seemed really high on the Turquoise and so I want to get some to maturity and I think they'll look great side by side. Yellows really stood out and I'll be very happy to have them back. And the Goyder Rivers weren't available last time so very happy they are in stock now.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #311 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:15 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
And you've convinced me, I'm going to go through with my plan and pick up a 10 or 15 gallon this weekend to try my first planted tank. I absolutely love your tank!
Greggz likes this.
post #312 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBevis View Post
And you've convinced me, I'm going to go through with my plan and pick up a 10 or 15 gallon this weekend to try my first planted tank. I absolutely love your tank!
That's awesome, thanks! Once you see some of the even crazier tanks on here you'll have a whole room full of them!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #313 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New fish went in today, all healthy thus far.

So now it's a pair each of Kamaka, Turquoise, Yellow, Goyder River, Boesemani, and three Red Laser.

You can also see the Red Tiger Lotus emerging and being absolutely awesome. Bar none one of the most immediate and constantly awesome growths I've ever seen from a new plant.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #314 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
I should have taken action sooner, it wasn't a guess, I regularly saw the Pearl causing problems and let it go too long. After my last post I returned to see him after his regular target, the male Turquoise and said screw it and shipped them off to Pets Plus. It's funny, the first one was easy. Only net these guys have seen just collects leaf debris, could have easily had any Pearl or Rainbow I wanted. Getting the second Pearl... that was not at all fun. I have an hour of brush clearing and aquascaping to do tomorrow.

My pearl is being a jerk too has the whole tank on edge, might have to give him away since hes the only one whos aggressive sucks I liked his colors.
post #315 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Couple of cool notes from this picture. Along with the red crype looking super awesome the super tiny green crypts I planted up front are really starting to take off.

In the picture you'll see a blurry shrimp on the right who wasn't being bothered at all by the loaches. Shortly after this picture came the really exciting news, I spotted all 5 loaches at the same time, a very rare treat. The fact that at least one shrimp is alive (frankly all 10 could be, no clue where they are in this tank 99% of the time), and all 5 loaches are healthy back up my theory that the fish deaths were not at all related to tank parameters.

Greggz and TheUnseenHand like this.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode