69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duboisi View Post
Hello!

Found your thread after you mentioned you're keeping a similar variety of plants in your tank also.

Just went through your entire journal. Look how far your tank has come! It's looking nicer each time as you fill it up. Just wondering, have you thought of adding some hardscape? Perhaps some wood that can stretch from the right side towards the left and add some texture within the green. Just a thought!
Hi Duboisi

I did consider wood at one point but I didn't want to bother with boiling it or keeping it underwater under it gets waterlogged hahaha... I've ordered a little cube tank though so I think I'll do wood for that tank.
Thelongsnail likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
I've ordered a little cube tank though so I think I'll do wood for that tank.
Can't wait to see it!! What size and what's the plan for it?

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That latest photo is beautiful. I like the buce and anubias mixed together.
chicken.nublet likes this.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.

post #79 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Can't wait to see it!! What size and what's the plan for it?
Hi! It's a little 30cm cube, hopefully I'll be able to find suitable sized hardscape for it, maybe Malaysian or spider wood. I'll be going low tech again but I'd like to go for an aqua soil substrate and try some easy stems this time. I'd like to keep a betta in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
That latest photo is beautiful. I like the buce and anubias mixed together.
Thanks! That's very kind.

EDIT:
Update!

I'm actually heading to Bangkok tomorrow for a short holiday so I'm a little worried about the tank. I'll be there for just 6 days though so things should be fine and my brother will be around to feed the fish. I wasn't going to feed the fish today but what the hell, might as well do it since I'm leaving tomorrow.

I did my weekly water change today. Still can't stop moving everything around while doing water changes, which means I spend way too much time putting all the plants back where they were when I'm done. I seriously have to stop doing that or I might end up killing my plants like the last time.

Anyway all the bucephalandra I added last week appear to be doing fine. Minimal melting so far, which is good but then again it's only been a week. I can see that one of the emersed clumps is adapting well, I'm hoping to see new growth soon! I do have a small clump of emersed bucephalandra catherinae (at least I was told it's catherinae) that hasn't really done anything, but it hasn't melted either, so hopefully we'll see some new growth from there soon as well.

The new 30cm cube arrived today! It's a rimless glass tank, looks so much nicer than my current acrylic tank. I also bought a stand big enough for a 90cm tank, I'd like to have two cubes on it eventually. Unfortunately the Chihiros light I ordered won't be here so soon since it has to be shipped over from China. Hopefully it will get here in two weeks, that's about how long it took the last time I ordered a light from them.

Just a few pictures:

Different angle

All doing well so far!

Here's the catherinae after a week. It might not even be catherinae, if anyone knows what it is that would be cool, but I know bucephalandra names are pretty iffy.

Here's one of the little sparklers. I have never managed to get a picture of them with their fins fully flared open. I did hear their croaking recently though! Two of them were squaring up for some reason and I very nearly pushed my face up against the glass to watch. It was quite a sight, but nothing beats hearing them croak for the first time. They don't really fight that much though so I don't get to see (and hear) it that often.

This update got quite a bit longer than I expected haha. Thanks for reading as always.
ipkiss and Thelongsnail like this.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 07-27-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Update
post #80 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hello!

Got back from Bangkok yesterday morning at about 1230am. Tank looked ok which was a relief. Water level dropped considerably and a bunch of plants floated out of place but nothing I can't fix. Did a big water change after waking up, all the fish and plants look like their doing well. No picture this time since nothing has really changed for this tank.

I did go out to buy a bunch of stuff for the 30cm cube! I will probably start a new thread to keep track on that one.

Anyway, I've decided to start a new instagram account so that my personal account isn't flooded with fish stuff. This is just a shameless little plug I would appreciate if y'all follow me @lenny_aqua! Cheers and thanks for reading!
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #81 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's been a while since I updated this one! Although there really isn't anything to update.

I lost a fair bit of my anubias coffeefolia to what I believe is rhizome rot. I've trimmed the affected parts, hopefully I don't lose the rest of it.

I have been neglecting the tank a little since I haven't been feeling great recently (more of a mental thing than a physical thing but i'm getting over it). I used to feed the fish every day, but I have been underfeeding quite a bit because sometimes I just don't really feel like feeding them. Fortunately the fish still look fine! Here's a recent picture:

I am more or less satisfied with how the tank looks like now so I doubt I'll be doing much else to it for a while. Some of the plants don't look the best but I'm not too bothered by that. I am thinking that I might rescape it some time in the middle of next year and turn it into a blackwater tank but we'll have to see.

Thanks for reading!
Ken Keating1 likes this.
post #82 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

Hi, the tank looks good, even with the little neglect.
Can you share the time of light you are using?

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
post #83 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janci View Post
Hi, the tank looks good, even with the little neglect.
Can you share the time of light you are using?
Hello Janci and thanks for the kind words
Lights are on for 8 hours a day, but with a 3 hour in between, so 4 on 3 off and 4 on. There's no real reason for the break in lighting other than extending the viewing periods. I like the lights to be on in the day, but I also want them to be on later in the evening when I get back from work.
post #84 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
Hello Janci and thanks for the kind words
Lights are on for 8 hours a day, but with a 3 hour in between, so 4 on 3 off and 4 on. There's no real reason for the break in lighting other than extending the viewing periods. I like the lights to be on in the day, but I also want them to be on later in the evening when I get back from work.
Thank you for the information.
There was however a typo in my previous question as I wanted to ask what type of light you were using.
Is this T5?

post #85 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Thank you for the information.
There was however a typo in my previous question as I wanted to ask what type of light you were using.
Is this T5?
Oh right! No those are LEDs, it's a Chihiros A series.
post #86 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hello!

Bought some java fern recently for the cube but it ended up being way too big. I threw them in this tank instead. Here's a picture:

I've also got some good news to share! I've just been called to the Singapore bar last week, so I'm finally a lawyer. Things will probably get tougher from here so I hope I can handle it but at least I always have tank maintenance to look forward to on the weekends!

Cheers!
post #87 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:37 AM
Algae Grower

Congratulations on your career.
This is a big move.

One question I had about the Chihiros light.
Do these get warm after a while?
I read some comments about this and wanted to hear your opinion.

post #88 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Congratulations on your career.
This is a big move.

One question I had about the Chihiros light.
Do these get warm after a while?
I read some comments about this and wanted to hear your opinion.
Thanks!

Mmm never really noticed much warmth from the A601 actually, but I do run it at the dimmest setting for this tank. I am also using a Chihiros WRGB on my cube at 60% brightness and that one gets pretty hot.
Janci likes this.
post #89 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well done on your big news!

Gorgeous tank as always and have been following along your progress on insta too
chicken.nublet likes this.

Journal

post #90 of 95 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Well done on your big news!

Gorgeous tank as always and have been following along your progress on insta too
Thank you @Thelongsnail!

This tank has been doing alright for awhile. Not much maintenance required on it other than water changes weekly. Unfortunately I just noticed my littlest cory flashing but it's quite late and the lights have gone off so i'd rather not disturb the tank right now. Tomorrow is water change day anyway so i'll do a bigger one than usual and dose a little praziquantel if the flashing persists.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode