46 Bowfront rescape "trying some new plants" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
46 Bowfront rescape "trying some new plants"

I started this rescape 8 weeks ago. The pictures are all 1 week apart all taken on Sunday one hour after lights on.

46 Bowfront,

4 bags of Flourite
EI dosing (tuned for this tank)
10lbs GLA Co2 injected
2 39 watt T-5 HO bulbs (9000k, 7,600k)

I’ve changed the hardscape here and there and added a few new plants. I am quite new to trimming plants down and seeing them spread out and thicken but having a ball doing it.

Day one of rescape,

Week 1,

Week 2,

Week 3,

Week 4,

Week 5,

Week 6,

Week 7,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
wow! i am very impressed. i love week 6 and 7, the pennywart, it looks like has spread nicely. i also like the hairgrass.

good luck!

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblemania1414 View Post
wow! i am very impressed. i love week 6 and 7, the pennywart, it looks like has spread nicely. i also like the hairgrass.

good luck!
Thank you, the "Pennywart" is actually Ludwigia Repens. I was hoping it would get a little redder but what can ya do, it's growing fast and looks good, I can't complain.

I cut down the Ludwigia Glandulosa on week 3 hoping it would split and give me more then just 2 stems. It has and is currently growing 5! I am looking forward to them shooting up into a nice much thicker plant.

A week after I cut it,

And today, I am hoping it will start to show in the front pictures nicely within the next 3 weeks.

Top shot of the Repens,

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been a loooong time I know, since I posted. Haven't had a lot of time. I quit my lousy job in retail Management and decided to make a huge career move! I went back to college, took a few automotive courses and applied at an independent automotive shop. POW! Big move I know, I was 41 when I started at it 3 years ago, 10 bucks per hour! ouch! I worked hard and cleaned the hell out there shop, they started giving me jobs. Simple jobs, oil changes lead to transmission services. Then brake jobs lead to brake lines. I taught myself how to weld and they started giving me exhaust work. Now, I primarily do exhaust, suspension and brake diagnosis and repair. Three years in, and I'm just about to complete level 2 of 3 levels in Automotive Service Technician at Centennial Collage in Toronto no grades below a B. Five raises in and making considerably more money then retail. Just goes to show it's never to late to make a move!

Enough about were I've been. I'm starting to get some free time and decided to get back into the Planted Aquarium hobby. My 46 never was torn down I just turned down the Co2 and lowered to lighting period. growth slowed to a crawl and the tank was very easy to "just keep alive" LOL.

I turned the Co2 back up, turned the lighting to a much longer photoperiod and started doing large water changes for the last month or so. I can't believe how quickly to tank has responded.

The tank is a jungle I know. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I don't want to rip it apart just trim it here and there, maybe reshape lightly? I've been mostly ignoring it for the better part of 3 years and I just don't know what to do at this point. I can post more pictures from different angles if needed.
Dosing has returned to ei and the tank is Co2 injected. 3 bubbles per second into an inline DIY defuser. 4 dkh drop checker lime green. lighting t4 1.7watts per gallon.

Thanks of any advice/suggestions I can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cell phone 1 198.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	301346  

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Hey, welcome back!

Personally, I think it looks fantastic... but then, I've always been a fan of jungle tanks.

What type of look are you going for?

I think thinning out some the crypts in the front in favor of a smaller contrasting plant and adding in a nice hardscape could provide a pretty simple, yet dramatic, change.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Hey, welcome back!

Personally, I think it looks fantastic... but then, I've always been a fan of jungle tanks.

What type of look are you going for?

I think thinning out some the crypts in the front in favor of a smaller contrasting plant and adding in a nice hardscape could provide a pretty simple, yet dramatic, change.
Nice! Thank you for the compliment.

What would you suggest as a contrasting plant. I know I can grow java fern, any crypt, java moss. I don't want anything that grows too fast. I had some stem plants that just grew to quickly to maintain. What's in the tank is growing very fast at this point so plants that grow no faster then crypts would be good choices for me. can you suggest a few for me.

Are you thinking darker or lighter. Maybe red? I don't know If I can grow red plants with this setup, maybe I don't have enough light?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I love how it looks now honestly, but if anything, maybe remove some crypts and replace them with different types of crypts....but really, I think the tank looks great as is

What kind of moss do you have growing? And is that a small red lotus in the middle?

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
I love how it looks now honestly, but if anything, maybe remove some crypts and replace them with different types of crypts....but really, I think the tank looks great as is

What kind of moss do you have growing? And is that a small red lotus in the middle?
Wow, you have a good eye! Yes, I did just buy that plant yesterday, a Tiger Lilly I think it's called. It is the first plant I have bought that has a bulb. I was thinking similarly to lauraleellbp in trimming back the crypts and putting in some kind of contrasting plant, a focal point? I thank them for confirming my same thoughts. I have gotten very lucky in that leaving the tank alone for so long has created a mass of growth that is very promising but at the moment way to crazy looking, I think? I want some balance. I really think I may be able to create something really special here, you know. I am removing a few leaves at a time and spending time staring at it.

It's just Java Moss, very easy growing in my tank, grows very fast when Co2 turned up.

I think I would like to post up close ups of individual sections for people to critic and give me ideas of what do to. I'm very excited, but at the same time, I don't want to ruin what I've got.

Thanks people.

Last edited by The Plantman; 04-06-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Add ansewer to question.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

10 days lotus doing great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140415_154943.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	305986  

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Oh that is a lovely lotus! I wonder how big it will get? I've never seen that color before.

As for what to try in the front/midground... Dwarf Sag or Hemianthus tenellum (formerly Echinodorus tenellus and still commonly sold under that name), some small bushes of Hemianthus micranthemoides (dwarf baby tears.. but be sure you get the right species, as HC typically won't do as well under low light), and/or some Anubias nana 'petite' might be some good options?

Crypt parva or Marselia minuta might be nice in the foreground.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Oh that is a lovely lotus! I wonder how big it will get? I've never seen that color before.

As for what to try in the front/midground... Dwarf Sag or Hemianthus tenellum (formerly Echinodorus tenellus and still commonly sold under that name), some small bushes of Hemianthus micranthemoides (dwarf baby tears.. but be sure you get the right species, as HC typically won't do as well under low light), and/or some Anubias nana 'petite' might be some good options?

Crypt parva or Marselia minuta might be nice in the foreground.
I'll look for those suggestions, thank you.

The plant was labeled "Red Tiger Lotus" I grabbed the smallest one they had. But the others were not much larger. this one had the largest bulb. I'm very curious how it will develop. So far I really like it!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Five more days. This thing my be to much of a weed, its growing very fast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10268473_10201102034547540_1732086796736164628_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	308578  

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Mine was that way, so I shoved it in a back corner and its been behaving more that way, shaded by basically everything lol

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I trimmed back the crypts quite a bit and the lotus is growing nicely.
Attached Images

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Tank looks amazing. If only the front crypts would have stayed small. I say try some c. parva.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode