Ryno's 5.5 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ryno's 5.5 Gallon

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around the forums for a few months now and I figured I'd start posting now that I finally got plants in my tank. I'm still in college so building this tank up will be a slow process. In its previous life it was a reef tank, but after five years of reefing I ran out of interest (and money) so I sold everything off and decided to go back to freshwater and give planted tanks a try.

Tank: 5.5 gallon AGA
Light: I forgot the name, but its that 27 watt light a lot of people use from Home Depot.
Filter: Whisper 10
Heater: Can't remember, its either 25 or 50 watts I think. Its enough to keep the tank between 76 and 78 degrees.
CO2: DIY yeast and sugar mixture in a 2 liter bottle fed in to the filter.

Plants: Micro Sword and Hemianthus callitrichoides

Fish: Crowntail Betta

I set the tank up in mid-November and added the Betta shortly after. I finally found the plants I wanted locally this past Wednesday. I know the HC should be separated as much as possible, but doing small patches in a full tank is a bit of a hassle, it keeps wanting to float away. I'll probably end up splitting up some of the larger patches though.

1. I want to swap out the filter for a canister filter to free up some space, Amazon has Zoo Med 501 filters for about $35. I've read some comments on here saying it is a fairly weak filter, but it seems like it should be enough for this small of a tank.
2. After I get rid of the filter I think I'll move the micro sword and the rock on the right side and put in a piece of driftwood with some sort of moss on it to try and make it look like a tree. None of my local stores ever have any pieces small enough that would work though so it will be a while.
3. Like my reef tanks I'd like to place an emphasis on invertebrates. In this case a variety of different colored shrimp. Anyone have suggestions of places that carry more than just two or three kinds of shrimp?
4. I plan on picking up a bottle of Flourish. Will this be fine, or would I be better off using Excel or some other additive or fertilizer?

Anyways, here's a few pictures. I'm surprised at how much easier it is to capture the true colors of a planted tank compared to a reef tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0117resize.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	27632  

Name:	000_0118resize.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	27633  

Name:	000_0123.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	27634  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
looks great. one thing tho, maybe split up the hc and liliopsis some more and spread it around. itll fill in faster and more evenly

GONE HUNTING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's nice scape with such a small space!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode