20 Long - First FW Planted Build! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey TUH

Who drilled your tank for you?

I really like Bean Animal's overflow design. It is so clever. Also, I think surface skimming is very beneficial and it is one of the reasons I am using the tank that I have.

I do have one criticism of your setup so far, and it is purely aesthetic. I would consider a "black box" overflow in your main tank that uses black acrylic and black caulk instead of the glass. Just a personal preference.

Otherwise, all I can say is WOW! Great job so far!

Cheers,
TMQ
TheUnssenHand likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
Hey TUH

Who drilled your tank for you?

I really like Bean Animal's overflow design. It is so clever. Also, I think surface skimming is very beneficial and it is one of the reasons I am using the tank that I have.

I do have one criticism of your setup so far, and it is purely aesthetic. I would consider a "black box" overflow in your main tank that uses black acrylic and black caulk instead of the glass. Just a personal preference.

Otherwise, all I can say is WOW! Great job so far!

Cheers,
TMQ
Absolutely fair criticism. Acrylic sheets tend not to silicone well to glass, especially if the box is "floating" like this is. Otherwise, acrylic would be significantly easier as it is much easier to weld together. I tried to source black glass, but my local shop didn't have any. I was thinking of painting it black, but ended up not doing so. I'm not sure why. But I do hate the look of that clear overflow and my awful silicone seams. My thinking is I'll put a couple tall plants back there. I may still try to spray paint it, but it would be a challenge at this point. I'm hoping the black mesh overflow guard will help take away from how visible the seams are.

As for the holes, I drilled them myself. It's quite easy to do. People freak themselves out about it, but if you have some patience and the right tools, you can do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love pics like the ones contained here. Really shows off organizational skills for running hose, pipe, and wire! Love the setup!

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is the stuff labeled:

And the basic waterflow. Blue is water moved by the return pump, green by the reactor feed pump:

post #35 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also, in looking through my geology field guide, I'm thinking @asliceofkate was right all along. I dropped a piece of the rock and it does flake apart. I'm thinking it is fine-grained muscovite mica schist.

post #36 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Speaking of rock, I realize I did not properly clean the seiryu before scaping. I think i'm going to take it all out and give it a bath in HCl. I'm interested to see the colors and textures it brings out in addition to ridding the surface of any dust. I am skeptical, though, about how that might shorten any leaching from the rock. It makes little sense to me. If the rock, and therefore what it's comprised of, is what is leaching, the only way to stop it would be to 1. dissolve the entire rock or 2. don't use it. I don't see how removing a small surface layer would stop any leaching if it's all the same stone.

post #37 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow! You could have gotten away with a 29g. That is a ton of equipment for a 20 long. LOL. Good luck!

One thing you'll soon realize is that you don't have the height for fast growing stem plants.
irishspy and Greggz like this.

post #38 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnssenHand View Post
Speaking of rock, I realize I did not properly clean the seiryu before scaping. I think i'm going to take it all out and give it a bath in HCl. I'm interested to see the colors and textures it brings out in addition to ridding the surface of any dust. I am skeptical, though, about how that might shorten any leaching from the rock. It makes little sense to me. If the rock, and therefore what it's comprised of, is what is leaching, the only way to stop it would be to 1. dissolve the entire rock or 2. don't use it. I don't see how removing a small surface layer would stop any leaching if it's all the same stone.
As long as you are going to go through the effort of pulling everything out, I would seriously consider PortalMasteryRy's comment on going with at 29 gallon. Honestly, I would even consider a 37 gallon (same footprint). Your setup can easily handle it.
irishspy and Greggz like this.
post #39 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
As long as you are going to go through the effort of pulling everything out, I would seriously consider PortalMasteryRy's comment on going with at 29 gallon. Honestly, I would even consider a 37 gallon (same footprint). Your setup can easily handle it.
+1.

That's an awful lot of effort for a 20G.

My guess is that if things go well, you are going to want some more real estate pretty quick.
Quesenek likes this.

------------------
post #40 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
Wow! You could have gotten away with a 29g. That is a ton of equipment for a 20 long. LOL. Good luck!

One thing you'll soon realize is that you don't have the height for fast growing stem plants.
I love equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
+1.

That's an awful lot of effort for a 20G.

My guess is that if things go well, you are going to want some more real estate pretty quick.
Quote:
I appreciate the comments guys! I'm currently renting a house and this will be the second aquarium setup in it. I was wondering at first if there was a possibility of pursuing a rent-to-own, but decided I don't really want to pursue that option. While I plan to be here a couple more years, it's not a long term place of residence, so I'm not in a position to setup a larger tank. I really wanted the minimum size tank that allows me to create a somewhat dynamic aquascape. I realize the limitations it poses, but have to keep in mind that it WILL have to be broken down in the next couple years. I know that and am OK with it. If I start going down the road of more gallons, I'm going to go too far. I've done that before (been keeping aquariums for about 17 years now). Breaking down a 90 gallon tank to move isn't something I particularly feel like doing again (I've also helped others breakdown up to 220's). It's too much work, and it's not fun in any way.

As for how much "effort" the setup is; I don't mind putting in a lot of effort up front building a stand, plumbing, drilling, wiring, etc. That's the fun part!
Greggz and Thelongsnail like this.

post #41 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I get it. I love all that stuff too.

Great attitude!

Keep the updates coming.

------------------
post #42 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I get it. I love all that stuff too.

Great attitude!

Keep the updates coming.
Will do!

Another thing I've learned over my time keeping tanks, a well done, successful small tank is every bit a satisfying as a well done, successful large tank; and an unsuccessful small tank is every bit as frustrating as an unsuccessful large tank. But an unsuccessful large tank is more of a PITA to deal with than and unsuccessful small tank
Greggz and Blacktetra like this.

post #43 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnssenHand View Post
Will do!

Another thing I've learned over my time keeping tanks, a well done, successful small tank is every bit a satisfying as a well done, successful large tank; and an unsuccessful small tank is every bit as frustrating as an unsuccessful large tank. But an unsuccessful large tank is more of a PITA to deal with than and unsuccessful small tank
Have to disagree with you there.

Once you catch the bug, more room for more plants is always on your mind.

And to me, if you are going to all the trouble, having a bigger canvas to work with is well worth it. Not much more incremental effort, but much more impact.

Now that being said, we have some very, very impressive smaller tanks here on this board. And I am guessing this will be another one to add to the group.
pweifan and TheUnssenHand like this.

------------------
post #44 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Have to disagree with you there.

Once you catch the bug, more room for more plants is always on your mind.

And to me, if you are going to all the trouble, having a bigger canvas to work with is well worth it. Not much more incremental effort, but much more impact.

Now that being said, we have some very, very impressive smaller tanks here on this board. And I am guessing this will be another one to add to the group.
Haha yeah I know the feeling. I always wanted more room for corals! There is no doubt that to most people, the bigger the tank the greater the impact. I might not necessarily fall into that category though. It's certainly a subjective thing. I think a well done 15 gallon Iwagumi is more impactful that a well done 55 gallon Dutch, but that is just personal opinion. Not right or wrong. If we all felt the same way about things, the world would be a boring place!

I appreciate the second comment! Honestly, though, I'm just hoping to not kill everything or create an algae farm. I'm sure I'll be asking for a lot of help once plants actually hit the soil!
Greggz likes this.

post #45 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post

I will mildly disagree! I love constantly topping and replanting my stems in my 20 long. It's super therapeutic!
nbr1rodeoclown likes this.

My tank journal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode