20 Long - First FW Planted Build! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliceofkate View Post
That rock kinda looks like mica. Is it a bit flakey? A quick search shows it seems ok to use if that's what it is, but I have no experience with it myself.
It's not particularly flaky, no. I don't think it's mica, but I'm not sure.

In any case, I took some tap water and filled one of the sections of the sump. Then I watched the pH via the Apex. It settled out at 6.9. Then I put the rock in and have been watching the pH all day. It went to 6.86 over the course of the day, so I at least don't think it's contributing any buffering capacity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The milk crates on the left house the ATO reservoir and the doser/dosing containers.
irishspy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Subscribed. This is a really educational thread, and I wish I could hire you to build a stand for me.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.

post #19 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Subscribed. This is a really educational thread, and I wish I could hire you to build a stand for me.
Thanks! But to be honest, if I can do it, anyone can

I have to start taking pictures with my DSLR, as the LED blue nonsense starts again... I did end up going with the 18" SB Reef Light Freshwater fixture. I'll be interested to see the PAR numbers once the tank is filled. It looks like hanging it eliminated any shadowing, but I'll have to wait and see what it looks like once it's filled.
irishspy likes this.

post #20 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So here is what is going on behind the milk crates:

Doser:

ATO Reservoir:

Bump: Under the hood of the tank:

post #21 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now *that* is a "high-tech setup."
TheUnssenHand likes this.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #22 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Starting to play with the hardscape a bit:

post #23 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I really love the way Seiryu looks. I think I like this basic hardscape, though I may get some more seiryu and replace the flat stone on the left.

I used BDBS, but also want to dry start this tank to form the carpet. So I put a very light layer of Fluval Stratum under the top layer of sand. I'm hoping that provides the nutrients for the dry start. I'm not too worried about it breaking down as there isn't much there. By the time the nutrients are exhausted, I will be dosing the water column, so I think I should be OK. I guess we shall see.

post #24 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:42 AM
Algae Grower

Subscribed! Your design to attach the stand skin with cabinet magnets is genius! Also it's nice to follow threads that are way beyond my ability right now gives me something to strive for!
TheUnssenHand likes this.
post #25 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Now *that* is a "high-tech setup."
I love technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshak14 View Post
Subscribed! Your design to attach the stand skin with cabinet magnets is genius! Also it's nice to follow threads that are way beyond my ability right now gives me something to strive for!
That's what I thought the first time I saw it as well haha. Actually, I never saw it applied to stand panels. I saw someone use the technique on hood panels and thought it would be super convenient to apply that to stand panels.

This is the part I'm usually pretty good at. But I'm still a total noob when it comes to keeping FW plants. I'm trying to set myself up for success. Hopefully it goes well. I just fixed a stupid mistake I noticed I missed when looking at the pics I took of the doser...

post #26 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnssenHand View Post
It's not particularly flaky, no. I don't think it's mica, but I'm not sure.

In any case, I took some tap water and filled one of the sections of the sump. Then I watched the pH via the Apex. It settled out at 6.9. Then I put the rock in and have been watching the pH all day. It went to 6.86 over the course of the day, so I at least don't think it's contributing any buffering capacity.
The gold specks look like iron pyrite (aka "fool's gold", iron disulfide, FeS2). Check out this link. You might not want it in your tank.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/rock_metals.php
post #27 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Just stumbled across this thread.

Very nice job on everything so far. NASA would be proud of you!

Subscribed and looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Yaboihunt likes this.

------------------
post #28 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Bump: Under the hood of the tank:

Ok, consider me impressed. I don't know what half the stuff in the stand is supposed to do. Give us a virtual tour of this masterpiece.

Oh, and get some hose clamps around the tubing attached to the barb fittings.
post #29 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Can tell you are a fellow reefer
post #30 of 262 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
The gold specks look like iron pyrite (aka "fool's gold", iron disulfide, FeS2). Check out this link. You might not want it in your tank.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/rock_metals.php
It's interesting you mention that. First, I should point out that the picture is exceptionally misleading. The "gold" is really just the warm (3500K) light reflecting off the shiny bits. That said, if I look very, very closely I do see 1 or 2 tiny flecks of what may be pyrite, about 0.5 mm across. Lowering the pH may actually be a desirable side effect of any small amount of pyrite as the Seiryu will have the opposite effect. But you definitely have me thinking. I have some geology field guides that I may take a look at to determine what this really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Just stumbled across this thread.

Very nice job on everything so far. NASA would be proud of you!

Subscribed and looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Thank you! I'm sure I'll be asking for advice going forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
Ok, consider me impressed. I don't know what half the stuff in the stand is supposed to do. Give us a virtual tour of this masterpiece.

Oh, and get some hose clamps around the tubing attached to the barb fittings.
Yes, I'll have to put my amazing (read: terrible) MS paint skills to the test and make a flow diagram of what the hell is going on there. I usually have to do this anyway so when I'm on vacation the tank sitters know what they are looking at.

Hose clamps. Yeah, I know. there will be very little pressure on these, so my concern is quite low, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by money88 View Post
Can tell you are a fellow reefer
We tend to complicate things, huh?

In researching, I'm wondering if any more Seiryu is a good idea. My original thought was to dry start and build a nice carpet. But without knowing exactly how this much stone will raise the pH, I wonder if that is a good idea. If I already have plants established, then flood it and realize I have a lot of water chemistry work to do, will that destroy what will take probably a couple months to build dry starting?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode