20 Long - First FW Planted Build! - Page 15 - The Planted Tank Forum
 243Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I could stare at this tank all day!
TheUnseenHand likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
I know it hasn't been all that long yet, but do you have anything you wish you'd built differently? Aside from the difficulty of finding black glass.
For example, I was thinking I'd try putting the valve assemblies on the overflow system underneath, farther down the overflow pipes. They seem like they'd be a bit hard to reach if I ever wanted to, unless I could easily reach over and around to the far side of the tank.

I'd imagine with the way this overflow drain is built, it wouldn't just be silent, it would off-gas very little CO2 compared to a typical overflow which splashes all around inside the drain pipe, mixing with air as it goes.
I should have gone with the smoke glass, or found a shop that did have black glass.

As far as the gate valves, there is plenty enough room behind the tank to easily reach these. That said, you want to be strategic about which side you put them on if, for instance, the tank is going in a corner. The issue with putting the valves under the tank is twofold:

1. It requires extra unions closer to the top of the overflow should you want to take the tank off the stand. Additionally, you now have no valve to close to prevent splashing water from spilling on the floor if you move the tank off the stand. This is admittedly minor as very little water should be left in the overflow when the pump is turned off.

2. More importantly, if you put the valves under the stand, you can't see how the water in the overflow is reacting as you adjust the valves. Dialing in the proper valve openness becomes a 2 person job, which is a bigger hassle than you might think.

This style drain is not ideal if you want your tank flush against a wall. That said, the space you need between the tank and the wall does not push the tank so far out that it becomes obstructive unless you have a huge tank and need 2" drains or something. I know I will never own a tank that big... If you put unions on either side of the gate valves you can easily angle the valves such that they take up less space behind the tank as well. If you don't use True Union valves, I highly recommend using PVC unions on either side so the valve is reusable.

I should have also spent more time on the hardscape. I honestly feel like I could have gotten a lot more out of it. That said, engineers tend not to have the most artistic eyes.
Greggz and MSaxen like this.

post #213 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:54 AM
Planted Member

One amazing looking setup, under the stand looks like the old overclocking with water cooling crazyness. Nicely setup.
Greggz likes this.

post #214 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Quote:
I know it hasn't been all that long yet, but do you have anything you wish you'd built differently? Aside from the difficulty of finding black glass.
For example, I was thinking I'd try putting the valve assemblies on the overflow system underneath, farther down the overflow pipes. They seem like they'd be a bit hard to reach if I ever wanted to, unless I could easily reach over and around to the far side of the tank.

I'd imagine with the way this overflow drain is built, it wouldn't just be silent, it would off-gas very little CO2 compared to a typical overflow which splashes all around inside the drain pipe, mixing with air as it goes.
I should have gone with the smoke glass, or found a shop that did have black glass.

As far as the gate valves, there is plenty enough room behind the tank to easily reach these. That said, you want to be strategic about which side you put them on if, for instance, the tank is going in a corner. The issue with putting the valves under the tank is twofold:

1. It requires extra unions closer to the top of the overflow should you want to take the tank off the stand. Additionally, you now have no valve to close to prevent splashing water from spilling on the floor if you move the tank off the stand. This is admittedly minor as very little water should be left in the overflow when the pump is turned off.

2. More importantly, if you put the valves under the stand, you can't see how the water in the overflow is reacting as you adjust the valves. Dialing in the proper valve openness becomes a 2 person job, which is a bigger hassle than you might think.

This style drain is not ideal if you want your tank flush against a wall. That said, the space you need between the tank and the wall does not push the tank so far out that it becomes obstructive unless you have a huge tank and need 2" drains or something. I know I will never own a tank that big... If you put unions on either side of the gate valves you can easily angle the valves such that they take up less space behind the tank as well. If you don't use True Union valves, I highly recommend using PVC unions on either side so the valve is reusable.

I should have also spent more time on the hardscape. I honestly feel like I could have gotten a lot more out of it. That said, engineers tend not to have the most artistic eyes.
Thank you for that explanation, I enjoy seeing all the purposes behind good design. It's amazing how helpful good design is.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #215 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Thank you for that explanation, I enjoy seeing all the purposes behind good design. It's amazing how helpful good design is.
Anytime!

post #216 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think by early or mid next week the Ludwigia will be at the waters surface. This stuff grows crazy fast. I wish I had a second tank to put some in.
Greggz likes this.

post #217 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
I think by early or mid next week the Ludwigia will be at the waters surface. This stuff grows crazy fast. I wish I had a second tank to put some in.

More like by tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #218 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
More like by tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit the waters surface late yesterday...

The tops are becoming less red. While growth is still fast the red color on both the AR and the Ludwigia seems to come and go. Some days it's bright pink/red, others it's a bit muted or dull. Could this indicate a limiting nutrient? My guess is that when dosed, whatever the nutrient is, the colors become more vibrant. But the nutrient is used up quickly and the colors fade until it is dosed again. Could this be the case, or am I off base here?
Blacktetra likes this.

post #219 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

frogmanjared, Greggz, vvDO and 8 others like this.

post #220 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tops.
This tank has really flourished. Well done mate!

post #221 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower

Wow, that's some fantastic growth! great colours so far, too.
post #222 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Fabulous, well done.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #223 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Hit the waters surface late yesterday...

The tops are becoming less red. While growth is still fast the red color on both the AR and the Ludwigia seems to come and go. Some days it's bright pink/red, others it's a bit muted or dull. Could this indicate a limiting nutrient? My guess is that when dosed, whatever the nutrient is, the colors become more vibrant. But the nutrient is used up quickly and the colors fade until it is dosed again. Could this be the case, or am I off base here?

It could be the opposite actually! It's very fascinating what causes red coloration in plants.
I highly recommend reading Dennis' article on it here:

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...tter_2ozn.html

It could be that when your nitrate levels are getting low, the plants are getting more red.
But it could also be a bit of a lack of iron? I'm not sure that would be likely though. People's advice has generally been "want more red, need more iron" but frankly that's just not been very accurate.
I'm not sure if you posted your dosing regimen, have you? I'm sure someone like @Greggz could examine your ferts and give some pointers.
But I highly recommend the reading on that link. I've been through it numerous times now, fantastic stuff.
Thank you to @Xiaozhuang for his fantastic work.

It's also possible you've got a thin film of algae either on the leaves or glass that comes and goes impacting the color somewhat.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsj View Post
Fabulous, well done.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I see that's your first post @shawnsj welcome to the planted tank!
Greggz and tredford like this.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #224 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pantanal in general likes high PAR and a fairly nutrient rich environment. And it's a bit moody, in that it can change color very quickly if it's not getting enough of something. Much quicker than most to let you know.

I've always found it to like plenty of PO4, and that would be my first suspect.

What are your current levels?

------------------
post #225 of 258 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Algae Grower

Great looking tank!

I learned about bean animal overflows from this thread and have since crawled down that gigantic threads rabbit hole. Definitely planning to put one in on my next tank. What size pipes are using on yours? Bean has 1" pipes but he also says they can handle some 2000+ gallons/hour. I was thinking of using 1/2" pipes but unsure if it would affect things.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode