Our 60g Planted tank journey - The Planted Tank Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Our 60g Planted tank journey

Hi TPT Community.

I wish I knew about this forum long ago and right after we started out tank.
So I have this journal posted on different forum but forgot about it and never updated it there.

*Flashback back to April 2018*

Being very new to the hobby has been nerve wrecking, surprising, disappointing, exciting but over all has been a great learning experience for me and my wife. We've been in the hobby for over 2 months only but already learned a lot from here and local clubs. I personally thought Fish-keeping was boring before because I thought all you need to do is buy a tank, put the fish in, feed them and clean it once a while. Ohh boy that was wrong LOL. Adding the fun part of planted tanks really got my attention. So 2 months back we decided to get a tank and just wanted to share the progress!

This was taken after I first filled up the tank

A month after Cycling and adding my community.
also where I had to learn how to be more patient after cycling I battled with Diatoms though I was doing something wrong and didn't know it was part of setting up a new tank.

Another month have passed and I started having BBA issues. Tried my pest to prevent it spread.
Lost some critters along the way. Nerite snail and Bamboo Shrimp. Since I tried the excel method.
My Amanos are luckily hardy than I expected and didn't mind the overdose of excel.
This month also we've lost our Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami, and I'm postive that it was the DGD/Iridovirus he had to begin with Just glad he didn't suffer for long.

And this is most recent update. 2 Months and 3 Days after the whole thing began.

*Fast Forward to May 2018*

And that's it I stopped updating that journal. Got really busy with our first born so the tank got neglected and was only bale to do water changes.

Right now where it sits:

Tank: 60G Marineland with stand - 48x12.5x24
Substrate: Potting Soil capped with Black Blasting/Playsand mix
Hardscape: Seiryu Stones and Manzanita Wood
Filter: Fluval 406 and AC100
CO2: 18lbs Tank
- Regulator with solenoid(not sure about the brand) got it 2nd hand
-Up-Aqua Inline atomizer
Lights: F-B
Sublaster T5 Fixture with 6400k Bulb
Sunblaster 6400k LED Verion
Sublaster T5 Fixture with 6400k Bulb
Ferts: Seachem Flourish - 1 capful
Thrive+ by NilocG

Same routine was happening even at the point where that tank was "Neglected"
Weekly Water change. There were 2x that it went 2 weeks before water change.
Same ferts dosing sched: 1x Flourish after water change and 2x Thrive (one day after water change and 1 mid week)

Since May my C02 and Light schedule was the same
- 6 hours for both c02 and Light (Co2 turns on 1 hour before lights and turns off 1 hour before lights)

But during the course of May up to recent I have played around different co2 diffuser/reactor.
I started with Ista MixMax (M) reactor but didn't like the decrease of flow on my filter and the micro bubbles I was seeing on the tank when co2 was on.

Change it to Up-Aqua Atomizer but that was when disaster started. It was good to at the beginning but after a months of use, I noticed my Drop checker was staying blue. Soaked the atomizer with water bleach mix and it was good again for another 2 weeks then again no co2 entering the tank. kept repeating that until it only last for a day and no co2 again. That could be the reason why my plant suffered.

Here's some photos of some of the plants I have that suffered.

1-2 Grow AR "mini" (now pulled from the tank)

Most of my Anubias Nana "petite" looks like this have dark spots on them and the roots system

S.Repens had some dark spots on them and some are losing leaves and gorwing stunted

Found a picture when everything on the tank was overgrown:
October 2018

So last 2 weeks I found my self staring at my tank and thinking what should I do.
Either do a complete reboot or do what I have to do with what I have right now.

I decided to let it be for now and do some minor rescape and pay more attention to this tank again.

What I have change so far:

CO2: Went back to using a reactor
- Sera Flore 500 Reactor (I like it so far it doesn't give me any cut on the flow or at least it's not noticeable)

reading and seeing some of the popular journals I decided to change up my lights settings. Ordered some bulbs and I got it yesterday!
Lights: F-B
Sublaster T5 Fixture with 620nm Bulb
Sunblaster 6400k LED Verion
Sublaster T5 Fixture with 420nm Bulb

Still paying around what's the best arrangement of each light.

I also changed my CO2 and Lights Schedule from 6 hours to 8 hours ( 2 weeks into this change)
-CO2 Turns on 1 1/2 hours before the lights and turns off 1 hour before the lights

I'm still struggling on the way the tank looks at the end of the day. After work when I get home when I look at the tank there's still 30mins left for co2 to be on so I can see micro bubbles all over the tank. But even when the co2 is off already I can still see bubbles. I'm trying to convince my self that those are signs of healthy plants just a result of them pearling and the "pearls" are just getting blown away. Is that correct???

But anyway here's how it sits as of today before I left from work:
Plants and fish are still asleep I literally just turned the lights on the grab quick pic and turned it off and left for work

I decrease the bps of the co2 from last night wanted to see how it looks like at the end of the day with less bps than before.

Still waiting how the plants respond with change I made recently.
If you know what I'm lacking or doing anything wrong let me know!
Appreciate any feedback I could get from here!
Greggz, slipfinger and RCB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RyanP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ventus0907; 11-29-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Pics did not attachd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Algae Grower

Nice start! What's your ferts dosing?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great start on the Journal.

What you described is one of the main reasons I hate any ceramic type diffusers, after a period of time they all get clogged up. Yes bleach and water does the trick but its just another step in the process, specially when you are already strapped for time.

I assume the bulbs pictured are from GrowLights.ca? The colour rendition of the tank looks good.

Just stay the course, patience is what is needed now. Trust me its hard as hell to sit and wait for improvements, keep up with the water changes, general cleaning, trimming dead or algae infested leaves and in no time at all the algae should start to retreat.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgMa View Post
Nice start! What's your ferts dosing?
Thank you! I'm using Seachem Flourish 1 capful after 50% water change and next day I do 6 pumps of Thrive+ and another 6 pumps after 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
Great start on the Journal.

What you described is one of the main reasons I hate any ceramic type diffusers, after a period of time they all get clogged up. Yes bleach and water does the trick but its just another step in the process, specially when you are already strapped for time.

I assume the bulbs pictured are from GrowLights.ca? The colour rendition of the tank looks good.

Just stay the course, patience is what is needed now. Trust me its hard as hell to sit and wait for improvements, keep up with the water changes, general cleaning, trimming dead or algae infested leaves and in no time at all the algae should start to retreat.
Thank you! You're journal was the very first one I encountered and that gave me motivation to pay attention to my tank again lol.

Yes everytime I need to clean the inline ceramic diffuser I have to leave my tank running with just the AC100 cause I always have to dip it for at least 1-2 hours and that adds up with my tank maintenance.

Yes it is from the link you gave me. That's the only place I could find a red bulb that doesn't break the bank. I was trying to locate the power veg 633 but couldn't find it anywhere that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg for shipping.

You saw my anubias nana petite should I be removing the affected leaves?
Greggz likes this.

RyanP

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

I believe that bleach does nothing to ceramic diffusers.
When I had the classic ceramic (in glass) diffuser, bleach just cleaned it of algae, but there were still big bubbles out of this.
Fine mist had gone.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventus0907 View Post

I hate to say this, but you are asking the wrong guy when it comes to anubias. I've never had any anubias in my tanks so have no clue how to maintain them.

Regarding the bulbs, I just picked up four of them today, a 620, 420 and two FS UV. Throw them on the rimless, things look a little blue to me, but well see how things look once they burn in.

Edit: Glad my journal inspired you to give your tank some attention.
Greggz likes this.

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgMa View Post
I believe that bleach does nothing to ceramic diffusers.
When I had the classic ceramic (in glass) diffuser, bleach just cleaned it of algae, but there were still big bubbles out of this.
Fine mist had gone.
How did you clean yours before? Maybe mine is just clogged up then. So I can resell it lol

Quote:
Quote:

I hate to say this, but you are asking the wrong guy when it comes to anubias. I've never had any anubias in my tanks so have no clue how to maintain them.

Regarding the bulbs, I just picked up four of them today, a 620, 420 and two FS UV. Throw them on the rimless, things look a little blue to me, but well see how things look once they burn in.

Edit: Glad my journal inspired you to give your tank some attention.
No prob just thought I'd ask.

When I first got it I had the same feeling it didn't look natural. Since I only have 1 FS if I have the blue and red beside each other my tank looked so purplish. Been playing with different arrangement and today finally settled with the original arrangement I have posted.

Now time to get some red plants and see how they wpuld look like. Any recommendations? I was thinking of just the regular ludwigia red.

RyanP

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Was off for 2 days ad was able to do some rescape.
Added 2 new plants Ludwigia Red and Rotala Bonsai.
Can't wait until they start showing some growth.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20181203_140830_1543868893080.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	873417  

Greggz and BubbaTex like this.

RyanP

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You asked a question about pearling earlier that I didn't see addressed. If you want to be able to better See if you plants are pearling, at the end of your co2 on time, but before the lights turn off - turn off all your pumps and water movers and let your tank just sit there for a few minutes and settle to no flow. You'll see real fast if your plants are tossing out o2 or not.

I put a vid on the youtubes the other day doing just that. It looks like it's raining Up in the tank.

My tank journal.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
You asked a question about pearling earlier that I didn't see addressed. If you want to be able to better See if you plants are pearling, at the end of your co2 on time, but before the lights turn off - turn off all your pumps and water movers and let your tank just sit there for a few minutes and settle to no flow. You'll see real fast if your plants are tossing out o2 or not.

I put a vid on the youtubes the other day doing just that. It looks like it's raining Up in the tank.
That's what I did and I'm confident that my plants are pearling. What I'm curious is what everybody's tank look like mid day or at the end of the day. Maybe it's just hard or not noticeable on pictures than in person but when I see someone post their tank it's spotless and no bubbles. So are those pics taken when the lights just turned on or at the end of the day? But I'm curious about your video what's the link?

RyanP

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just ran across your thread.

Nice work, both with the tank and the journal.

I can also induce heavy pearling easily. Crank CO2, more PAR, or little water movement. Do all three and I can make it rain bubbles.

But while pearling is nice, it's not really a goal. Some tanks pearl very little and do well. Think of it as a signal.

In my tank, the right amount means things are pretty happy. Too little, better check things out. Too much, might need to throttle things down. Just takes time to see what level signals your tank is doing it's best.

And good luck with the tank. Looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

---
---
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
That's what I did and I'm confident that my plants are pearling. What I'm curious is what everybody's tank look like mid day or at the end of the day. Maybe it's just hard or not noticeable on pictures than in person but when I see someone post their tank it's spotless and no bubbles. So are those pics taken when the lights just turned on or at the end of the day? But I'm curious about your video what's the link?
Pictures don't really capture the fine bubbles of pearling in the actual water column.

What can be captures in the pearling on the actual plants themselves. Have a look on the underside of leaves, you should see lots of bubbles. That's pearling.
Greggz and MCFC like this.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Just ran across your thread.

Nice work, both with the tank and the journal.

I can also induce heavy pearling easily. Crank CO2, more PAR, or little water movement. Do all three and I can make it rain bubbles.

But while pearling is nice, it's not really a goal. Some tanks pearl very little and do well. Think of it as a signal.

In my tank, the right amount means things are pretty happy. Too little, better check things out. Too much, might need to throttle things down. Just takes time to see what level signals your tank is doing it's best.

And good luck with the tank. Looking forward to seeing where things go from here.
Thank you! I'll keep posting with updates and hopefully learn more about my tank. I thought I already know a lot but boy I was mistaken.

Quote:
Pictures don't really capture the fine bubbles of pearling in the actual water column.

What can be captures in the pearling on the actual plants themselves. Have a look on the underside of leaves, you should see lots of bubbles. That's pearling.
This is how my tank looks at the end of the day but becomes clear again 30-45mins after my c02 turn off and leaving me with pearling leaves.

https://youtu.be/Xj9pAFEr14E

Does it look like I'm pushing too much CO2? or it's not just getting disolved right way? I just found the right level of Co2 to give me 1-1.2ph drop 1 hour before lights on so didn't want to adjust again

RyanP

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update:
So I came home after work and found the Rotala Bonsai I added (1-2 Grow tropica) seems like it melted.

all left is the stem but all leaves vanished.

There are still dew leaves here and there but I'm not sure what to do.
Should I leave the stems for now and see what happens? or pull them out and just accept it didn't work

RyanP

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just wanted to say I love the tank.

I would leave the Rotala Bonsai, and see what happens. It maybe just be acclimating.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode