20g set up for 1.5 years, need opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g set up for 1.5 years, need opinions

Hi, I used to be on this forum several years back a lot if I remember right, but after a car accident haven't been able to keep tanks. After ten years of having all kinds and sizes of aqurium setups, I've tried to put a bit of what I learned together in this setup.

It's pretty low tech, I don't measure dose anything, I just add by how things look at this point. Don't know all the scientific names anymore, used to memorize them all but at this point in the hobby I just don't care anymore, it's 'that fish' now, hahaha.

anyway, here is a full tank shot of my 20 gallon. It's had a year and a half to mature and I like the full look personally, the fish love the cover too.

here's a random macro of a ghost shrimp, I mess around with my camera a lot and I liked this one.

Any and all criticism is appreciated and wanted. I'm actually disabled now and this is about as large a tank I can physically handle, but I've been doing better so I'm trying to see how nice I can make it, so input needed.

Specs, details will follow, ask about anything in the setup you want to know about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

a couple more pics, okay but still wanting a more crisp look

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

one last picture for the night, my plump SAE, resting on java fern leaves.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
holy sword lol! looks great!

GONE HUNTING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

So many plants wow.. O.o
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So many plants good or bad? haha, that sword grows so fast I can never keep up with it. I've halved it in size two or three times recently and it keeps getting bigger.

There's also a lot of fish, may seem like a crazy load on a 20 gallon, but with this many fish, i don't have to dose nitrates or many other ferts, the high load of fish feed the plants, and that whole cycle.

stocked list

10 rummy nosed tetras
7 cardinal tetras
a trio 1m/2f of sparkling aka pygmy gourami
a paired 1m/1f clown loaches
3 otos
a bristled nosed pleco
12 ghost shrimp
a male american flag fish
a big SAE (going to sell)

I think that's everything... haha

As for the tank, the substrate is laterite mixed with natural black sand. It'd settles some but gives a more dirt like look mixed in. Also great for the roots.

I have 3x26w powercompact lights, or 78 watts, ooor about 4 watts per gallon. Filter is an aquaclear 20? they changed the model names, it's what used the be the 200. Yeast/sugar CO2 with diffuser.

Only ferts I use are seachem florish and iron.

Feel free to ask any questions about my setup. It's actually rather easy to take care of, never had any algae problems the year and a half it's been setup and I just dose by eye. Should I be doing more do you think?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

That looks like a nice, full, healthy tank. I like the heavy plant-load and the layout, but the plant on the left becomes a little redundant a second time in the middle. Not bad at all to my eye, but trimming that one down would add some visual breathing room toward the center. Nothing too drastic, mind you, but given that it's not brining something new to the picture, a little more space might seem more relaxing.

I mean, you did say to nit-pick it, right? The thing looks gorgeous as is.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, nitpick away. The tank sits across from my bed so with looking at it so much I don't feel I have a critical eye anymore.

The tank actually is due for a trimming, this is how it is when grown out. I'm going to cut back a lot of stuff, remove the middle-most sword, I want to the crypt up front grow out.

The sword though is overtaking things, it started as one plant a year ago, now it's three good sized plants that seems to double in size each month.

The plant in the middle bottom - right front - is actually java fern. It seems under high light java fern grows fairly large leaves? Every water change I keep pruning out the larger leaves.

I leave the front bottom 'open' in that I don't have a carpet type plant but with that water area open, a lot of the fish will school right at the front glass, which was my plan.

Any suggestions for things to change? Will be removing some of the sword soon.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i love it!! just maybe clear out some space for your rummnose, the tank is packed!!!

not saying that is a bad thing, just i think they would love some swimming room

as for your shrimp.. that place is a shrimp haven!! lol

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd tame down the swords a bit, but otherwise I think it looks fab!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all your compliments. It is very full with the plants but this is pre-trim. Going to be doing a big trim so wanted a before and after. I let it grow out to this though before doing a trim, the less you mess, the better it'll go.

Just got this fish yesterday, an American flagfish, or my own name for the, the USAfish, haha. He's not colored up yet at all as he's new but still looks awesome I think.

Here is an angled shot, there's actually a lot more open swimming space up front than it looks like straight on. Can you spot the fish? haha

have some more pictures coming, I have a nice canon powershot, SX110is I think it is that I'm messing with doing all manual controls. Let me know what you think of the picture quality.

Thanks everybody, hope I can help some new to planted tanks out, have 10 years experience with them.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One more, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of this plant. What it is? Had it so long I forgot what it was.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by getkracken View Post
Name of this plant?
Ludwiga primrose, I think.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
omg, this is officially my favorite tank of all time!!! and i personally like it the way it is, it's sort of a controlled insanity of lush, overgrown plants. very, veeeery nice!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode