My First Real Adventure Into Planted Tanks
Note: I have been posting this journal on another forum and decided to included it here too since I have found this wonderful forum. I will Include dates on the previous postings.
Howdy From Houston,
I have had MTS in the past and have been keeping all sorts of freshwater fish Discus, Arowanas, Mbunas, Rainbows, guppies, and many others. I have toyed around with some java fern with a diy co2 in a 40 gallon breeder in the past but that is the extent of my aquatic plant experience. I am in the process of planning/setting up a 90 gallon tank. I planning on growing some HC Cuba(using the dry start method), java moss, and perhaps the some sort of dwarf red plant with some assorted rainbows, cardinal tetras, and shrimp. I finally got my tank today, but I'm still figuring out a few things.
So far I have worked out I need/have:
1. The 90 gallon tank
2. 3 bags (9 Liter) of ADA Aquasoil
3. 1 eheim 2217
4. 1 5 or 10 lb CO2 Canister
5. Rocks for aquascaping
Things I'm trying to figure out:
1. Lighting...The dimension of the tank are 48"Wx24"Hx18"D. I understand that light penetration may be an issue at 24"...and that HC Cuba is on the substrate. I would be prefer to go with an LED lighting solution. Would a single Finnex Ray 2 or Fluval planted 3.0 be enough? Or would I have to have 2 of these fixtures to make it work?
2. A good regulator/solenoid choice. So far it seems in my limited research I should go with a
GLA GRO-1 Aquarium CO2 Regulator from green leaf aquariums. Are they any reliable options that aren't quite that expensive?
3. Ferts..I know nothing here and need to research this more.
Yesterday, we started the tank with the dry start. In the past week I have decided to go with 2 AI Prime Freshwater for lighting. Also picked up a couple of eheim 2217 for filitration. Lightgrate was placed on the tank floor to provide height. Then some black gravel was placed on the top for more height. Next the 27 liters of Aquasoil, rock, and wood. The Dwarf baby tears and java moss were planted. The Ai Prime Frestwater were mounted to the canpoy.
There is always a better way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.