Vijay’s 75 Gallon High Tech Adventure - The Planted Tank Forum
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Vijay’s 75 Gallon High Tech Adventure

I have been intending to start this journal for many months and finally get this going today. I hope that I will be able to learn from all the inputs that fellow hobbyists share and also share my own inputs, progress, etc.

To start with, let me tell a bit about my experience with fish keeping - I have been fascinated with fish keeping as early as being a 5 year old. I should thank my elder brother for introducing me to this hobby at that young age .

Back in those days, we had the typical fishes that most kids would have - Guppies, Platys and Gold fishes. We used to breed them and sell/give away the frys. Some where along the schooling years I got out of this hobby, but always knew that I will get back into it some day.

Early last year, my wife gifted me a 10 gallon tank thinking that I will be happy with a couple of small fishes in it. But she never thought that it would drive me back into fish keeping in a big way. She is still mad at herself for gifting me the 10 gallon .

Here I am a year and a half later with my 75 gallon high tech tank. This time though the passion has broadened to include growing healthy live plants and trying my hand at scaping.

Going through the journals of some of the successful hobbyists, watching endless YouTube videos and reading on the internet for many hours, I figured that starting off with a good setup to cover all the bases (filtration, CO2, plant mass, lights) is critical in a high tech setup. My equipment setup is as follows:

75 Gallon Marineland tank (4 feet in length) with Marinland stand
2 Fluval FX 6 filters with additional biomax media
Rex Grigg style CO2 reactor
10 lb CO2 tank
GLA CO2 regulator
2 Fluval 2.0 LEDs with Fluval WiFi controller
2 Aqueon Pro 250W heaters
2 Hydor Koralia nano powerheads
Eheim surface skimmer

Some of this might be a overkill for the tank’s size, but I still went for it.

Substrate is black diamond blasting sand and I use regular tap water. The tap water hardness measures 3 kh and 3 gh based on API test kit. Local water test did now show anything out of the ordinary for the various elements. pH is normally between 7.8 to 8.

The initial setup was done in July last year and the layout has undergone 2 changes since then. A couple of things that have not worked well for me are having driftwood and having low light and high light plants together.

I do a 70% water change every week. Macros are dosed at 25 ppm N, 30 ppm K and anywhere between 2.5 to 8 ppm P per week. I have been trying out varying P level dosing over the past 12 weeks and have been dosing 5 ppm P for the last 2 weeks. All these are front loaded right after the weekly water change. Tap water has around 12 ppm Ca and 2 ppm Mg. I add an additional 17 ppm Ca and 8 ppm Mg after the water change.

Micros are custom (bought from burr740):
Fe - Fe DTPA 11% - 0.2 ppm
Mn - MnSO4.H2O - 0.05 ppm
B - H3BO3 - 0.06 ppm
Zn - ZnSO4.H2O - 0.05 ppm
Mo - NaMoO4.2H2O - 0.00175 ppm
Cu - CuSO4.5H2O - 0.002 ppm
Ni - NiSO4.6H2O - 0.0005 ppm

I dose Micros at 0.4 ppm right after the weekly water change and then three 0.2 ppm doses on alternate days (total 1 ppm Fe for the week).

I have tried varying PAR levels over the past year. Current PAR level at the substrate is anywhere between 75 to 105 PAR.

The main algae issue I have run into right from the initial days is getting GDA on lower leaves and old leaves. I simply cannot keep the older leaves happy and am still fighting this problem. It is frustrating some times to not being able to get rid of it even after a year, but I am not ready to give up either .

Tank walls, filter intake/outlet fittings and surface skimmer also get GDA, but I wipe them down every week to not let it become unsightly. There is a bit of BBA growth on the powerheads, but again I wipe clean them with every water change.

Current Plants list:

Hygro Compact
Hygro Siamensis 53b
Hygro Angustifolia
Ludwigia Cuba
Mermaid Weed
Pogostemon Erectus
Limnophila Aromatica
Ludwigia Pantanal
Ludwigia Repens Rubin
Pogostemon Kimberley
Didiplis Diandra

Current livestock:

8 Harlequin Rasboras
7 Roseline Sharks
A pair of Golden Rams
1 German Blue Ram
3 Apistos
4 Siamese Algae eaters

A few of the plants are new to the tank. Mermaid weed was grown emersed when I bought it 2 weeks ago and is transitioning pretty well to being a submerged form. I also have some Myrio stems that will be delivered this week.

Thanks for reading patiently. I will appreciate any feedback or inputs you might have towards keeping the lower and old leaves algae free.

Pics of the tank:

Nov 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by vijay_06; 11-21-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Re-ordered photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks, great. You are off to a fantastic start. Following along!
vijay_06 likes this.

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Now that's the way to start a journal!

And all in all, you sure have a lot more going right than wrong. Very good looking tank!

Haven't soaked everything in yet, but the first thing I notice is Pantanal and Pogo K. appear to have little color in the shots from above.

Is that just from the picture? Do they have color more in person?

They both like everything to get to full color, light, CO2, and ferts. Your dosing looks good. So let's assume your PAR value is correct, then that leaves CO2.

And I notice you said KH is 3 and pH is 7.8 to 8.0. That's unlikely. My KH is 3 and pH is 7.2. I would expect pH 8.0 water to be closer to 15+.

What are you dropping pH to? And how are you measuring it? Using a drop checker as well?

Maybe you already have all this fully covered, but thought it might be worth revisiting.

And of course...............subscribed!
vijay_06 likes this.

---
---

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Looks, great. You are off to a fantastic start. Following along!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Now that's the way to start a journal!

And all in all, you sure have a lot more going right than wrong. Very good looking tank!

Haven't soaked everything in yet, but the first thing I notice is Pantanal and Pogo K. appear to have little color in the shots from above.

Is that just from the picture? Do they have color more in person?

They both like everything to get to full color, light, CO2, and ferts. Your dosing looks good. So let's assume your PAR value is correct, then that leaves CO2.

And I notice you said KH is 3 and pH is 7.8 to 8.0. That's unlikely. My KH is 3 and pH is 7.2. I would expect pH 8.0 water to be closer to 15+.

What are you dropping pH to? And how are you measuring it? Using a drop checker as well?

Maybe you already have all this fully covered, but thought it might be worth revisiting.

And of course...............subscribed!
Thank you and appreciate your feedback.

The Pantanal looks better in person - more orangish than what you see in the picture but definitely not like what I have seen in a few journals including yours. Still a very long way to go for me . It has been in my tank for a couple of weeks only. I am seeing good growth rate in the last 4-5 days, but need to see whether I can keep it healthy in the long term.

Kimberley does look pale especially the newer growth. The newer leaves do show a good purple coloration on the underside. It is not just the Kimberley but most of them show pale new growth. Not sure what could be causing this.

I had measured the PAR values a few months ago by renting a Apogee PAR meter. The exact model does not come to mind now. I am running the LEDs at 80% of their peak intensity.

I used to have a drop checker, but not anymore (drop checker used to be almost yellow an hour into the photo period when I was using it). Now, I measure pH using a digital pH pen. Even today the tap water measured at 8 pH, whereas the tank water measures at around 6.3 pH before the lights turn on. CO2 comes on 4 hours before the lights and turns off 1 hour before the lights go off. Tank water pH does not drop below 6.2 during the course of the 8.5 hours photo period (includes 30 mins ramp up and 30 mins ramp down). I have kept aside some tap water today and will measure its pH again after 24 hours.

Regarding KH, I did a quick test using API test kit before posting this. The tap water could be anywhere between 2 to 3 KH based on it.

How do you predict KH-PH relation just by knowing one of those parameters? I am aware of the KH-pH-CO2 chart for estimating CO2 levels. Not sure how accurate that is, but looking at it the CO2 level could be close to 50 ppm during the photo period.

My plan is to stick with same levels of everything and increase P dosing after a couple weeks to 6 ppm per week. I am also planning to move away from 100% front loading of Macros and do a 60% dose right after water change followed by 2 doses of 20% on alternate days.

Is there anything else you think I should try out or focus on?

Thanks again!
Greggz likes this.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
How do you predict KH-PH relation just by knowing one of those parameters? I am aware of the KH-pH-CO2 chart for estimating CO2 levels. Not sure how accurate that is, but looking at it the CO2 level could be close to 50 ppm during the photo period.
Because water naturally holds some CO2, at atmospheric equilibrium generally around 3ppm to 5ppm. So you can get a pretty good idea of degassed pH based on KH.

In no way an exact science, but in general the higher the KH, the higher the degassed pH.

Now it will be interesting to see what your pH reading is after 24 hours.

And I wouldn't base my CO2 injection based on the tables. With my KH 2.5, and pH drop to 5.85, it's so deep in the red it's not even on the charts. Calculator says over 100.

Doesn't really matter. It's the level where plants do best and fish are unaffected.

And I would keep going on the track you are on. You seem to working your way to the best balance for your tank. Takes time and I like your approach.
Immortal1 and vijay_06 like this.

---
---
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks @Greggz

I will report back the degassed water’s pH.

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Greggz Degassed water measured at 8 pH too. Should I interpret that my tap
water has negligible amount of CO2 only?

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beautiful tank, the plants look great @vijal_06. Looks like you done a great job in learning about the hobby.

Regarding the algae issues, how long are the lights on during the day?
Greggz and vijay_06 like this.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Beautiful tank, the plants look great @vijal_06. Looks like you done a great job in learning about the hobby.

Regarding the algae issues, how long are the lights on during the day?

Thank you! Lights are on for 8 hours which includes 30 minutes of ramp up and ramp down each. So, peak lighting is on for 7 hours.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Boy, I could not see very much algae on the plants, and the plants look really good. For algae control I'd recommend dropping the lighting period down to 6.5 hours and see what happens. The lights in my tank are only on for 6 hours and the plants are doing great with no algae. Also I think you need a polishing crew, say 6 to 8 otos, some ramshorn snails and some amano shrimp. Ideally I 'd have 20+ amanos in a tank of your size but your rams may see them as appetizers, so just try a few and see what happens. Also, how often are you cleaning the filters? I like that you have two filters, I prefer to over filter as I believe it helps with keeping the tank as clean as possible.

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
@Greggz Degassed water measured at 8 pH too. Should I interpret that my tap
water has negligible amount of CO2 only?

No, probably means water company is putting in some other type of buffer to raise pH.

I wouldn't worry about it. You could try dropping pH slowly a bit further. Keep an eye on plants and fish to see if it's making a difference. Also depends on far out on the edge you want to get.

Do you also use a drop checker?
vijay_06 likes this.

---
---
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great start on the Journaling!

Your dosing is very similar to mine. I just dropped my P from 6ppm down to 5ppm will dose this for the next 4 weeks and keep an eye on things.

Am I reading it right that you have two FX6's on this tank? If so, you must have them throttled down a far amount.

Anyways, I'll be following along.

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Boy, I could not see very much algae on the plants, and the plants look really good. For algae control I'd recommend dropping the lighting period down to 6.5 hours and see what happens. The lights in my tank are only on for 6 hours and the plants are doing great with no algae. Also I think you need a polishing crew, say 6 to 8 otos, some ramshorn snails and some amano shrimp. Ideally I 'd have 20+ amanos in a tank of your size but your rams may see them as appetizers, so just try a few and see what happens. Also, how often are you cleaning the filters? I like that you have two filters, I prefer to over filter as I believe it helps with keeping the tank as clean as possible.
Thank you! I tried all the cleaning crew a couple of times with not much luck. Otos don’t seem to last long. The Roselines in the tank are quite large and they chase Amanis all day and after a week the Amaonos simply disappear. Not sure if they end up as a snack. I also tried Nerite snails which seemed to last longer. Maybe I will try Otos once again in near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
No, probably means water company is putting in some other type of buffer to raise pH.

I wouldn't worry about it. You could try dropping pH slowly a bit further. Keep an eye on plants and fish to see if it's making a difference. Also depends on far out on the edge you want to get.

Do you also use a drop checker?
I will start using it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
Great start on the Journaling!

Your dosing is very similar to mine. I just dropped my P from 6ppm down to 5ppm will dose this for the next 4 weeks and keep an eye on things.

Am I reading it right that you have two FX6's on this tank? If so, you must have them throttled down a far amount.

Anyways, I'll be following along.
Thank you! Yes, there are two FX6s. One is connected to the CO2 reactor and is throttled down a lot to get CO2 dissolution. The other used to be set at 60% output flow, which I changed to 100% output flow 3 weeks ago. I use the 2 power heads at the top back corners primarily to drive surface agitation, but they too seem to add to overall water circulation in the tank.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Last edited by vijay_06; 11-26-2018 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Edit
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did my usual 70% weekly water change today. A few things I noticed during the course of last week -

There was unusually high amount of GDA on the tank walls and filter outlets.

The main change in the routine was the decreased N and K dosing. I normally front load these at 25 ppm and 30 ppm respectively, but dosed only 7.5 ppm N and 10 ppm K after last week water change while dosing same amount of P (5 ppm). Plan was to dose another 7.5 ppm N and 10 ppm K during mid week, but I completely forgot . I cut the front loading to start with since N measured between 80 to 160 ppm (API test) right before last week’s water change.

The other change was, I dosed Micros at 0.8 ppm Fe equivalent instead of the normal 1 ppm for the week. This was split as 0.4 ppm Fe after the water change and 2 more doses of 0.2 ppm Fe on alternate days.

Anyways, a simple scrub got rid of all the GDA.

I felt that the plant growth in the last 2 to 3 days was better. Not sure if this was due to the dosing changes or the dosing misses .

I am going to go back to my normal Macros dosing (maybe P at 6 ppm) for this week, but keep Micros at 0.8 ppm Fe. Let’s see how this works out.

A few pics of the tank right after the water change (did a trim too) -

I took the pics after a few minutes of no light in the tank and hence a few stems loom closed. Planted a couple of more Hygro Compact stems in the front and they dont look that good yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Vijay’s 75 Gallon High Tech Adventure

Happy new year to everyone!

I am still trying to strike a good balance. Plants are growing ok, but they are not super healthy. GDA on older leaves still persists.

There has been one big change - the two Fluval 2.0 LEDs have been replaced with two SB Freshwater 18” LEDs. They hang 9” above the water surface and are currently running at 40% intensity. Looking at a previous post, this would be extremely high light directly below - could be upwards of 160 PAR. I am trying to get hold of a PAR meter to measure.

The new lights have been there for 4 weeks now. No major algae issues except a heavy coating of GDA on tank walls towards end of the week.

I added a drop checker and a few new plants too. Ended up rearranging the stems a little bit.

Current dosing:

Macros - Front loaded after 70% weekly water change
N - 30 ppm
P - 5 ppm
K - 35 ppm

Micros is the same mix but I am dosing them at 0.5 ppm Fe right after water change followed by two doses of 0.3 ppm Fe equivalent through the week.

For some reason the photo I take on my iPhone X does not seem to reflect what I see with my eyes. Any tips on how to get the colors right? Also, how to post short videos?

Thank you for reading.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode