3 Foot Rimless - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black neons really standout with white wall behind tank.

They need some friends though.
Ken Keating1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
The wall behind my tank is called 'Morning Java' LOL, but I get your meaning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post

They need some friends though. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png" border="0" alt="" title="Nerd" >:-)</a>
What is this species?

post #34 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFiveRyan View Post
What is this species?
If you want to know more about this fish, please make a thread in the fish forum. This a tank journal and this fish has zip to do with my journal - Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Couple of pics:

chicken.nublet and Janci like this.

post #36 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Algae Grower

Healthy looking tank! I thought things were growing emersed for a while, then realized it's prob during a water change? hehe

Great job!

post #37 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duboisi View Post
Healthy looking tank! I thought things were growing emersed for a while, then realized it's prob during a water change? hehe

Great job!
Thanks!

Yep, that is during a water change, but several of the plants are growing emersed since I keep a 1" gap between the top of the tank and the water line to prevent jumpers. Some of the Anubias, Ranunculus inundatus is growing fine emersed and the Bolbitis heudelotii is starting to transition. I also have some riccia that got there accidently from another tank and rested against the wood. It is now growing emersed as well.

post #38 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:08 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
This tank always looks so great when you update with photos. Makes me want to do another pool filter sand setup.

And the black neons?! Gah. Gonna have to give up a shrimp tank to keep some of those guys.
Greggz likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #39 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
This tank always looks so great when you update with photos. Makes me want to do another pool filter sand setup.

And the black neons?! Gah. Gonna have to give up a shrimp tank to keep some of those guys.
Thanks @somewhatshocked This has been a fun project without alot of maintenance. Think I'm going to dust off the 60p.

post #40 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (497/100%)
Oooh, 60P? Do it.

You have an aesthetic sense for clean scapes, so I bet you could do some great stuff with Quikrete Medium Grade Multi-Purpose sand. It's the substrate used in the latest tanks in this journal.
Greggz likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #41 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Oooh, 60P? Do it.

You have an aesthetic sense for clean scapes, so I bet you could do some great stuff with Quikrete Medium Grade Multi-Purpose sand. It's the substrate used in the latest tanks in this journal.
Thanks! I'll have to read through that thread. Some nice scapes in there. I'm deciding if I want to use the Carib Sea Black Sand I have that has been sitting for I think 3 years, LOL. I have some aquasoil left, but probably not enough for a 60p. Have never used the Quikrete before.
Greggz likes this.

post #42 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Some notes about setup:

I usually don't test that much other than PH for co2 levels, but ran some numbers the other day. NO3 was definitely on the high end. This is attributable to normal EI dosing and limited plant mass.

PH - Tap 7.6, Co2 enriched 6.6-6.8
KH - Tap 2, Tank 7 (due to Seiryu Stone)
No3 - Before water change 70 - 100ppm, After water change 40-50ppm

Please note, these high nitrate numbers are from dosing dry salts and not from organic decomposition. This tank receives 1-2 50% weekly water changes to keep organics low and KH reasonable due to Seiryu Stones.

There are no sensitive stems in this setup so even with the high KH I'm not having any problems, but more notably there is no algae (even with limited plant mass) and the fish, shrimp and snails are all doing great. I've lost one critter (a golden back yellow shrimp) day after I bought it since I started this tank. No jumpers either with a 1" space between top of tank and water level. Tank is on a 15 hr light period including dim ramp up/ramp down and a 3 hr max burst.

I never "formally" cycled this tank by adding ammonia or fish right away. I simply waited around 4 weeks and slowly added fish each week after that. The system took care of the rest.
Greggz and Cinnamonamon like this.

post #43 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFiveRyan View Post
What is this species?
Those are coral red pencilfish.
Thelongsnail and Patric like this.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 08-27-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: No need to insult
post #44 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:39 PM
Algae Grower

What a great looking tank.
Do you need that wavemaker because of the 3ft length?

Just in for information... and planning, a lot of planning
post #45 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janci View Post
What a great looking tank.
Do you need that wavemaker because of the 3ft length?
Thanks!

Yes, primarily for co2 distribution. The eheim 2213 return on the other side didn't have enough power to reach the diffuser effectively and spread the bubbles around.
Janci likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode