3 Foot Rimless - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 287Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well I think I will return the cheap macro lense for my S9 haha, it kinda worked out ok but yeah I don't know much about "macro" photography but maybe there is a cheapish camera I can use better because my object had to be REALLY close to the glass for me to focus, wonder if there is a way to get photos of objects/animals that are a little bit further away from the glass, that is not like 1/2" to an inch away.

Any links or info about your photo setup appreciated

my 20 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 8 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 35 gallon journal:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Well I think I will return the cheap macro lense for my S9 haha, it kinda worked out ok but yeah I don't know much about "macro" photography but maybe there is a cheapish camera I can use better because my object had to be REALLY close to the glass for me to focus, wonder if there is a way to get photos of objects/animals that are a little bit further away from the glass, that is not like 1/2" to an inch away.

Any links or info about your photo setup appreciated
All things being equal you'll always be better off with an SLR and a true macro lens than one you can attach to a phone. Light is always an issue, but on a cellphone even more so since the sensor is smaller and does a poor job in lower light situations. So adding more light (just to take picture always helps.)

Another reason your better off with an SLR is resolution. Most SLRs have at least double the resolution of cellphone cameras. More resolution allows more cropping without losing significant sharpness.

Many macro attachments are simply magnifiers. Not to say you can't get a good closeup pic, but you will lose quality the more it magnifies. Contrary to popular belief a true macro lens doesn't really magnify. The lens allows you to get close enough to capture the image on the sensor in "life-size" That's why the image is so crisp. It only looks magnified once you display it here or print certain sizes.

So you can really use any SLR and just get a true macro lens. I use the canon 60mm macro.
Crazygar and Greggz like this.

post #153 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

These shrimp look more human close-up

You got me into pearling pics @Ventchur LOL, Bolbitis very happy tonight.

Last edited by Asteroid; 04-19-2020 at 01:15 AM. Reason: .

post #154 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
These shrimp look more human close-up

You got me into pearling pics @Ventchur LOL, Bolbitis very happy tonight.

omg that shrimp looks GIGANTIC hahahaha! Great shot
Asteroid likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #155 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love your tank. Fantastic scape.

post #156 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice, looking forward to further updates!

Gary

post #157 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraev View Post
Love your tank. Fantastic scape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post
Very nice, looking forward to further updates!

Gary
Thanks guys, appreciate it!

post #158 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah... more updates please haha, too much journal neglect here!

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #159 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Yeah... more updates please haha, too much journal neglect here!
LOL, yeah I'll have to do something about that.
rakali, P.Isley and mourip like this.

post #160 of 169 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 09:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
LOL, yeah I'll have to do something about that.
Asteroid likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #161 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I know it's been a while, but I figured I'd end the year showing a current pic of the tank. I got tired of the Bolbitis heudelotii taking over and was going to start fresh, but instead I removed it and the wood it was attached to and left just the seiryu stone. I pushed the two stones together to make one island. The stone is pretty much covered with a fusion of anubias, buce and moss. I added some Eleocharis montevidensis as a backdrop.

I might redo the tank "next year" or go to a larger tank. I'd like to go larger now, but probably moving in the next year and don't want to start a big project just to take it down so this will have to do for now.

post #162 of 169 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Asteroid posting a full tank shot, one of my favorite annual traditions!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

post #163 of 169 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Asteroid posting a full tank shot, one of my favorite annual traditions!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
LOL, I got it in before end of year, now I have a full year to post another.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Asteroid; 01-01-2021 at 09:24 PM. Reason: .
post #164 of 169 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I added some Eleocharis montevidensis as a backdrop.

You had just commented in my journal about the Montevidensis, and you have me convinced with the way it looks in your tank. Let me know what you see after trimming the ends =)
Asteroid likes this.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #165 of 169 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
You had just commented in my journal about the Montevidensis, and you have me convinced with the way it looks in your tank. Let me know what you see after trimming the ends =)
Thanks, I'll see how it is in another week or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode