Getting back into the hobby with a 5ft Tall Cylinder - The Planted Tank Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting back into the hobby with a 5ft Tall Cylinder

Hey All,

It's a been a while since I posted here. Went marine for a while, moved and had to stop all tanks. But a friend just gave me an empty tank and I was hoping to get back into the hobby.

This is pretty much the same thing, only shorter

Tank is a cylinder, roughly 18 inches across and 5 ft tall. (if anyone can venture an estimate on the volume that would be great) Tank is currently drilled for bubbles from the bottom. Would prob shut those off.

My question is filtration. Can a canister filter handle a tank 5 ft tall? Even if I extend the intake pipe to drop 4 ft into the tank, and get plastic tubing for the return, its pretty high up. Tank is about 5 ft, and the base is about 2.5 feet. Can a canister return water to that height? There is a drain pipe in the bottom for water changes. Was thinking about keeping the bottom bare and using driftwood with Anubias and Java fern. That should help keep the bottom clean. Vacuuming that depth isn't going to be fun.

Would it be safe to hook that return directly to the canister? Or is that a disaster waiting to happen is the seal would ever fail on the canister?

Once we figure this out we'll tackle lighting. But I think this would be the bigger challenge. to work through...

There are definitely quite a few downsides of a tank this high. limited surface area, difficulty of reaching the bottom for cleaning and maintenance, But it was free, and I'm willing to be creative to work around the issues. My goal is for small fish. A school of tetras. maybe Zebras. Maybe fancy guppies. Not looking for goldfish, cichlids or other fish with heavy bioloads. Small stuff.

Interested in hearing from you guys what you think.

Thanks!
O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Canister filters will be able to handle the height as you're only pumping the water a few inches, that is, the difference being the distance between the top of the water level and the top of the tank. Or think of it this way, if you did a siphon system, pump intake line over the rim and down into the tank, or connected to the bottom return port, the water level in the pump discharge line is going to be the water level of the tank without the canister turned on.

Though the proposed tank could turn out quite interesting, it's going to be difficult to maintain. I would use low tech plants and keep the lighting levels low to avoid having to clean the glass. Using the return port at the bottom keeps the clutter out of the tank. The disadvantage with this is you'll need an inlet screen and it's going to be difficult to reach if it gets plugged. With an over the top return line you can lift it out of the tank to clean.

One issue I see is getting the very small surface area with respect to the tank size. You're going to need an air stone to keep the tank aerated.

Keep us posted on your progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Progress!

Baby steps, but progress. Still need to a lot of cosmetic work. But found nice wood on ebay, shout out to Steve from mr.aquariumanddriftwood, nice wood, fast service, great prices. Got the lighting and filtration up and running. It's low tech, clip lamps and all, but hope to clean that up in the later stages.

Now that everything is flowing, need fine tune a few things, re route the filter return so it's underwater, clean up the pipes etc.

Slight design flaw... (not really cause there wasn't a choice in the matter) but I realized that if there's only 2 feet clearance to the ceiling, and the wood is 5ft long... I need to drain the tank and pull down the glass to access the wood. The long term plan is to plant and let it go. So here's the question:

Will I kill new plants if I add them to fresh tap water? I would use the additives right away, Prime tap water conditioner, and the liquid CO2 and what not. Will they wilt and die? Looking to do Java Fern and Anubis. Might drop a few Vallisneria in their pots afterwards, let them stay in their pots on the bottom.

Am I heading for disaster? Should I drain but save the water I'm currently using then re-ad it? Partially at least?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
Aharon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9c52c3e2-c49b-4093-b3a1-27410d9d79f1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	874071  

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

WOW- This is a very interesting tank! I have zero experience that would be of any help for this style but am quite interested to watch the progression and see what it is that you are able to accomplish!

As for the adding plants to new water I'll give the famous 'it depends'. The water conditioner should give no issues at all, but without knowing the specifics of your source water I would not give you any guarantees. For me personally when I do water changes I add some prime (I use safe, same thing) to my tank then use a hose to pump water in. I am sure some other members may have stuff to add.

Good luck, and keep us posted on progress!

|

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmeir View Post
(if anyone can venture an estimate on the volume that would be great)
1.76 square feet of planting surface @ the bottom.

66 gallon tank.
Grobbins48 likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm actually also in Upstate NY... Maybe we have the same water
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

And here I was thinking that my 37 was deep...

Have any small children that you can drop in to do maintenance?

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Am I heading for disaster?
Not just to answer your specific question, but in a general sense, yes, sounds like a disaster to me.

Not sure why anyone would design a tank like this. A successful aquarium requires lots of maintenance, and this appears almost impossible to maintain.

Not to mention what happens when someone stumbles into it, and how stable it is.

I wouldn't throw too much money at it until you think it through, as it seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth.

That being said, I've wrong many times before, so will be watching to see where this goes.
Grobbins48 likes this.

---
---
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'm actually also in Upstate NY... Maybe we have the same water
I have lived in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany areas before, and never had an issue with the water in any of those places.

|

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Quote:
Am I heading for disaster?
Not just to answer your specific question, but in a general sense, yes, sounds like a disaster to me.

Not sure why anyone would design a tank like this. A successful aquarium requires lots of maintenance, and this appears almost impossible to maintain.

Not to mention what happens when someone stumbles into it, and how stable it is.

I wouldn't throw too much money at it until you think it through, as it seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth.

That being said, I've wrong many times before, so will be watching to see where this goes.

Realllllly long tweezers and a Magic Eraser zip tied to a dowel rod is the best I can come up with. But how you would angle them in due to the height and ceiling height...., yeah, I'm not sure?
Greggz likes this.

My tank journal.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

Thanks Sunshine!

Yes, this is insane.

Yes, I would never order a tank like this.

Yes, it was free.

Yes, I like a challenge.

For the record, I'm also hanging on for the ride. Who knows? Maybe I'll impress myself. Rare, but it does happen.

As a total side point, irrelevant to the above, my the client who gave it to me manufactures these for therapy purposes. Basically it blows bubbles with LED lights Cool but pointless. He challenged me to bring it to life and had been footing the R&D bill. If it goes anywhere he'd be interested in "adapting" the concept to market it. At that point yes, slicing off a few feet of the height and shifting it to the width would be the first line of business.

Until then... hang on tight. I know I am.

O.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

To be frank, I would never set up a tank like this myself. The small surface area provides for less gas exchange than one with a wider surface area. Additionally, doing maintenance will be a challenge - especially near the bottom of the tank.

Interested in how this turns out. Will be following the thread.
Greggz likes this.

~ iMacg3

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacg3 View Post
To be frank, I would never set up a tank like this myself. The small surface area provides for less gas exchange than one with a wider surface area. Additionally, doing maintenance will be a challenge - especially near the bottom of the tank.

Interested in how this turns out. Will be following the thread.
True. Very True.

The reason I'm going for it is:

There is a built in bubble system, so even with 1 stream from the base I'm hoping help gasses flow. And there is a drain in the center of the bottom with an attached hose. Combined with a bare bottom... maybe it'll work.

Hey, this was a challenge by a friend... why not have some fun with it...

O.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Thanks Sunshine!

Yes, this is insane.

Yes, I would never order a tank like this.

Yes, it was free.

Yes, I like a challenge.
LOL!

Was I being negative? Guess I was typing my stream of conscientious and not filtering my thoughts.

But now that I see your response, looks like you have the right attitude and knowledge going in.

That being said...........if I was a betting man...................well, I think you know where I would lay my wager!

Good luck, subscribed, and this should be VERY interesting.
Grobbins48 likes this.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 12-17-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
Realllllly long tweezers and a Magic Eraser zip tied to a dowel rod is the best I can come up with. But how you would angle them in due to the height and ceiling height...., yeah, I'm not sure?
For cleaning the glass I think your best bet is going to be a magnetic solution. As far as planting...... Drain it and treat it like a ship in a bottle. I think you are going to have a difficult time planting anything in the bottom so go for things that have a rhizome that you can attach to drift wood. You might be able to plant a couple of things in the substrate and then just upright it and let nature take its course. Anacharis, Amazon Swords, etc.

If you pull this off its going to look amazing, I am going to follow your progress.

Torn down 10/2018

Current Build

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode