20 gallon experimental - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 gallon experimental

Hey guys. This is going to be a "journal" I suppose, but with commentary being welcome! This tank is one big learning process for me since I'm fairly new to the hobby. I've been in it for about 15 months or so. Thankfully I have a lot of spare time on my hands so I've been able to constantly do research and up my game considerably (I hope!) in this one year.

Some history of the tank: It first got stuff transferred to it from a 10 gallon and before that it was only 5 gallons! Little did I know that a bigger tank was easier to keep! I just wanted to be sure I was really even into aquatics before I got a huge tank. Once I got to the 20, I had some success breeding cherry shrimp. Then there were leeches, which were a huge disaster. I put in dog dewormer, it killed all the snails and I think it sterilized my shrimp! They stopped breeding, I sold them not too long ago to someone else, and got a small but fresh batch of bloody mary shrimp! Then I started finally putting more snails in. This is about where the history ends and the present begins!

Presently, I have 22 ivory mystery snails. About 20 (maybe a bit less) bloody mary shrimp. 1 fresh water (of course) golden asian clam! That's it for livestock.

For plants, I've got a semi big Java fern, semi big cloud of Java moss, unknown crypts (Maybe you can identify them in the pictures I'll be posting later.), and now, as of yesterday, Dwarf hairgrass!

For equipment, I've got a sponge filter, a heater, a glass lid (to keep those darn mystery snails from escaping!), and a very mediocre LED light that I paid 17 bucks for.

On the way: Mineral balls, mineral stones, a big old 30 inch Beamswork LED light, some alder cones, and some more shrimp/snail food not that it really matters.

I feed: Shrimp king complete, Shrimp king snail stixx I think it's called, which is good food for snails, Bacter AE (Only the best for these shrimpies!), Beta glucan (also from glasgarten like Bacter AE), and that's really it aside from some algae stick things that are kind of a treat for them.

Of course I have indian almond leaves, but I put them in 2 days before a water change so the tank doesn't get too brown. I accidentally and stupidly covered the old one with the new substrate I poured in yesterday. So there goes a leaf, and I also covered several mineral stones which was also a mistake. I should have taken the time to take them out first. Then again I hate how they look and now the tank has a nice uniform look, so...eh. Plus I got new ones on the way.

Their schedule is basically this:
Monday - Solid food. (Shrimp king complete and some snail stixx now for all those snails.)
Tuesday - Nothing!
Wednesday - Solid food again
Thursday - Nothing but it's time to do a water change! I do 25% a week!
Friday - Solid food again
Saturday - Powdered food, so now using Bacter AE and that beta glucan.
Sunday - Nothing unless I feel they have been good shrimpies and they look hungry, so maybe a treat!

I think I'll leave it at that for now, and here are some pictures!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNrnRjMLjqJsTzWS9
MCFC and sakura83 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is a lot of invertebrates! I like it though, it's something a little different

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
That is a lot of invertebrates! I like it though, it's something a little different
Thanks for saying so! I appreciate that! Yeah it's supposed to be a nice looking tank that also functions well. But also one I'm learning on, so I'm yet to optimize both the fashion and function of it.

Bump: Ok I just dropped in a big ol' mineral stone. It's this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7AA7TW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everybody says it's good for shrimp and snails, but I'd appreciate some insight into this thing. It's my first mineral stone so not sure what to expect. Just a bunch of minerals most likely. I fear even one stone might be too many darn minerals for my 20 gallon. Considering I have the 17 shrimp, 22 snails, and the clam...I think I need lots of minerals! But not all at one time. There was a lot of dust on the stone and I wasn't sure what to do. I decided to just drop it in since I figured a little extra minerals wouldn't hurt since I covered the mineral stones days ago. I thought they would be starved for minerals...maybe I'm right and they love the minerals...not sure.

Also found a dead shrimp this morning. Hopefully the minerals help them out. He probably died from lack of minerals and not enough to eat. I think the snails are eating everything in sight. So I put some more bacter AE in there along with the minerals, so now they will be eating some protein and minerals at the same time.

post #4 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Does anybody know a good medicine for such creatures as shrimp and snails? I'm trying not to use medication too much, but I'd still like something to treat them with should that situation arise.
post #5 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:22 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey Klein, I am not a shrimp expert. But I have a 2 gal that started with 5 cherry shrimp a few months ago. Now there is over 50 of them. I change the water maybe once every 2 months. Theres a few plants in there, no co2. I believe the main thing to keep in mind is keeping the water stable. I feed them Crab Cuisine as their main diet, to make sure they have enough calcium. Also Bacter AE for the babies. I know the little tank is over populated I'm hoping they will just stop breeding. I had tried to put some in my bigger tank. But they just become snacks for my Rams. I hope this rambling helps

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #6 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZB View Post
Hey Klein, I am not a shrimp expert. But I have a 2 gal that started with 5 cherry shrimp a few months ago. Now there is over 50 of them. I change the water maybe once every 2 months. Theres a few plants in there, no co2. I believe the main thing to keep in mind is keeping the water stable. I feed them Crab Cuisine as their main diet, to make sure they have enough calcium. Also Bacter AE for the babies. I know the little tank is over populated I'm hoping they will just stop breeding. I had tried to put some in my bigger tank. But they just become snacks for my Rams. I hope this rambling helps
Woah, talk about inbred! Don't understand how people are able to breed in anything less than a 20 gallon. What's next? Breeding 100 in a mason jar? Not sure how you've managed to do that since the ammonia would presumably build up quickly, and with no water changes the conditions shouldn't be that good. Here my shrimp have everything they could possibly want, and we'll see if they start breeding. They are a fairly new batch yet. You must have a temperature stable room; something I've struggled with.

By the way, I put in the Beamswork light, and yeah...It's bright! Hopefully not so bright that my shrimp hate it for some reason. Though it doesn't seem too extreme. The coverage is clearly so much better to what I had. Used to be you could only dimly see the middle of my tank...Now that sucker is totally lit up! There are hardly any shadows! I'll get around to posting photos of it eventually.
post #7 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:07 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello Klein, I set the shrimp tank up for my kids. Who knew the population would explode lol. But the tank stays around 80 degrees. I guess most importantly what I was trying to share was the importance of what stability when it comes to shrimp. Shrimp don't like constant water changes. Unless using r.o. and adding own minerals. But like I said I am not a shrimp expert. Just wanted to share my experience with cherry shrimps with ya.

I have read somewhere that the shrimp eventually stop breeding if the tank size is not sufficient. But if that doesn't happen, I am going to have some happy Rams.

post #8 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Hello Klein, I set the shrimp tank up for my kids. Who knew the population would explode lol. But the tank stays around 80 degrees. I guess most importantly what I was trying to share was the importance of what stability when it comes to shrimp. Shrimp don't like constant water changes. Unless using r.o. and adding own minerals. But like I said I am not a shrimp expert. Just wanted to share my experience with cherry shrimps with ya.

I have read somewhere that the shrimp eventually stop breeding if the tank size is not sufficient. But if that doesn't happen, I am going to have some happy Rams.
Yeah, meanwhile this is my sole purpose in life (or at least the main focus), with hundreds of dollars spent on it, but yet it sounds like you've bred more shrimp than I have in some 2 gallon that you set up as an afterthought. Though maybe you're right about the water changes. With the amount of plant growth I should have now with those lights, maybe they can finally absorb enough ammonia...also I have a clam. That's kind of like a filter.

I could try not changing the water for a month or so and see what happens. It's easy enough.
post #9 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineVampir View Post
Does anybody know a good medicine for such creatures as shrimp and snails? I'm trying not to use medication too much, but I'd still like something to treat them with should that situation arise.
It entirely depends on what you're trying to treat. Parasites, bacteria, fungi, and viruses are all potential causes of disease and they are all treated differently. I would say that prevention is your best option. Strict quarantines of new livestock, have dedicated equipment for the tank, keep up with the water changes.

I recommend being really careful with any medications not explicitly approved for fish/invertebrates. Some medications that are totally safe for dogs/cats/people are EXTREMELY toxic for fish/invertebrates.

Everything flows.
post #10 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamajor View Post
It entirely depends on what you're trying to treat. Parasites, bacteria, fungi, and viruses are all potential causes of disease and they are all treated differently. I would say that prevention is your best option. Strict quarantines of new livestock, have dedicated equipment for the tank, keep up with the water changes.

I recommend being really careful with any medications not explicitly approved for fish/invertebrates. Some medications that are totally safe for dogs/cats/people are EXTREMELY toxic for fish/invertebrates.
Well don't you have any recommendations for medicines that cover at least some of those bases? What would I get if I only wanted 1 or 2 medications?
post #11 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also I wanted to ask you guys about the blue light that comes with this beamswork light. What would happen if I left the blue light on all night as opposed to nothing? Any interactions with the plants and animals in there or is just for viewing purposes?
post #12 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello Klein, this may not be helpful to you. But I never dealt with any diseases in my shrimp tank. Prevention is also a better practice. 2 products I do use occasionally are Borneowild Vigor and Sheild. Molting issues more common problem for keeping shrimp. But that is easily prevented by keeping calcium in their diet, and water temperatures 75-80 deg.

post #13 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Hello Klein, this may not be helpful to you. But I never dealt with any diseases in my shrimp tank. Prevention is also a better practice. 2 products I do use occasionally are Borneowild Vigor and Sheild. Molting issues more common problem for keeping shrimp. But that is easily prevented by keeping calcium in their diet, and water temperatures 75-80 deg.
Oh they got calcium! But in a tank with 17 shrimp and 22 snails, you GOTTA have calcium! And a clam! Clam's still going strong btw!

Yeah I just wanted something that might actually help them in the event something starts spreading around. I have some paraguard that probably works but it isn't meant for inverts. Maybe I'll just stick to that if recommendations aren't forthcoming. It seems people don't have much to say about shrimp medicine!

75-80 is definitely the high side, but I think 75 is good. That's what my tank is at now. I find the snails like 75 too.
post #14 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:43 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good luck and have fun with it

post #15 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Took out 3 dead snails today. I'm glad I checked to see if they were alive because some of the inactive ones weren't. I guess probably about once a week you should check your inactive snails to see if they're alive or not. The ones that are alive are growing considerably quickly, given they really have the best food and I'm giving them quite a bit of it. The plants seem to be doing well under the new light but of course so is the algae, without a CO2 system. I've scraped some off the front with one of those aquascaping spatulas.

Hopefully now with the dead snails out, that I should have probably checked earlier, the shrimp will start to do better and breed. A few days ago I did get a pregnancy but she dropped her eggs. Next thing you know, they're gone...does anybody know what happens to those eggs? Do they eat them? And do they have a chance of hatching?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode