55 Gallon Practice Run for My 150 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 Week Post Chemclean & New Fert Dosing

So things are really starting to grow nicely, I have noticed a few issues with GSA and some hair algae that seems to be occurring in the section of the tank with the Crypts and that are close to the lights. So what I ahve done is eliminated the dual T5HO fixture, others had warned that the light level may be too high and I think that is the case. I did a huge trim and will monitor how things respond with just the finnex 24/7 fixture.

Some pics:

6 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

5 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

4 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

3 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

2 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

1 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

7 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr
Greggz and Quagulator like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Post Water Change Update:

Parameters (pre-water change)

pH - 6.4
Temp: 72 F
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Phosphate: 5 ppm
GH: 8 Drops - 160 ppm
KH: 4 Drops - 40 ppm
Non-Chelated Iron: 0.1 PPM
Chelated Iron: 1.0 Mg/L
Calcium: 1 drop >20 ppm

New Dosing Regime:

+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week (M,W,F)
+/- 1/4 tsp KH2P04 3x a week (M,W,F)
+/- 3/4 tsp K2SO4 3x a week (M,W,F)
+/- 1/4 tsp Trace Elements 3x a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat)
+/- 10 ML 11% DTPA Iron 3x a Week (Tues, Thurs, Sat) - Dissolved the pouch in 500 ml of water as per instructions
+/- 1 cap-full Flourish Iron (using this up and will get a dry version) - 3x a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat)
50% weekly water change + 1 tblspoon of Equilibrium on water change day.

And a full tank shot after trimming out a bunch of sword leaves and some Crypt leaves that had some hair algae on them:

IMG_1037 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I really need to revive this journal as its a great way to track changes and how the tank evolves over time. This is how the tank sits today:

IMG_1414 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

IMG_1413 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

IMG_1412 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

I just changed my light from a Finnex planted plus 24/7 and a dual T5HO fixture and replaced it with a Fluval Planted 3.0 running the pre-programmed planted tank setting. I've gotten some advice that my CO2 levels were inconsistent and my lighting was far too high for my current plants and that has lead to some algae issues.
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks so great! I can share my Fluval light program if you would like.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
That looks so great! I can share my Fluval light program if you would like.
That would be awesome!

Have you found one that works well with planted tanks?
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I took some pre-water change measurements and pictures today and came up with the following:

pH - 6.1
Temp 70 F
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm
Phosphate - > 5 ppm
GH - 13 drops (260 mg/l)
KH - 3 drops - 30 ppm
Calcium - 3 drops 60 ppm
Non-chelated Iron - 0 ppm
Chelated Iron - 1.0 ppm

Before I started the water change I think I spotted some pearling as well.

IMG_1415 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

IMG_1416 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

Did a 50% water change, cleaned the filter, vacuumed the gravel and pruned out a bunch of leaves that had algae on them.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sept 10, update:

The plants are looking decent, I am going to have to trim off some of the older leaves as they have some algae/deterioration. I am really liking this Cabomba furcata (at least I think thats what it is) has grown an inch or 2 in the last couple of days and it still has its nice purple/red colour.

Sept 9, 2019 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

I really need to do a significant trim of the crypt jungle on the left and the java fern jungle on the right, they have kinda gotten out of hand and I am not thrilled with their appearance.

Also i noticed some of this algae (see pic below) on some of the older leaves of the crypts and I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what causes it.

pic by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewart8 View Post
That would be awesome!

Have you found one that works well with planted tanks?

I run dirt/sand/bit of gravel for substrate. This schedule seems to keep the BBA at bay.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today was water change day and I did my usual pre-water change testing:

pH - 6.3
Temp: 71 F
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Phosphate - 5 ppm
GH - 7 drops - 140 ppm
KH - 3 Drops - 30 ppm
Non-chelated Iron - 0.25 ppm
Chelated Iron - 1.0 ppm
Calcium - 1 drop - 20 ppm

So a few things that have jumped out:

1. Nitrate has decreased a little (I stopped doing the EI dosing to try and get my levels under control and then will start back dosing to a lesser extent)
2. Phosphates are still high (I added some phosguard to my FX4) and its finally not showing a dark, navy blue on the test. I might be able to finally get these down so I can manage them properly.
3. Che & non-chelated iron are registering for the first time and they seem high so I will not be dosing with the extra iron (I'm still dosing the micros but at a reduced doseage).
4. Lighting - I cut the amount of light down significantly (about 60% from the default planted tank settings in the Fluval Planted 3.0

and here is a pre-water change, pre trimming shots:

IMG_1424 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

IMG_1425 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

Sept 9, 2019 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

And post shot, I also added a black vinyl background, it wasn't the easiest thing to get on.....

IMG_1427 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

I finally got the stand built for my big tank and put 2" of water in the bottom to do a water test:

IMG_1428 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr
Greggz likes this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok a little update,

PO4 is slowly decreasing, it looks like it is in the 2.5 ppm range now which is good its no longer navy blue on the test. I am hoping that the continued water changes and my 60% water change on Sunday it should be in line with where it should be and I can restart my amended dosing schedule. I have still be adding the micros but at a greatly reduced rate. Nitrates have also declined and you can tell that they are being consumed, last night they were less than 10ppm.

I've been playing with the Zorfox's Planted Tank Calculator (its awesome!) and I think I'm going to try the following dosing:

Macros (Monday - Wednesday - Friday)

1/2 TSP KNO3
1/16 TSP KH2PO4
2 TSP MgSO4

Micros (Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday)

1/4 TSP Plantex CSM+B

Water Change Day

50% Water Change
Add 4 1/8 TSP of Equilibrium

This mean I am adding the following levels:

NO3 - 7.5 ppm
N - 1.694 ppm
PO4 - 1.3 ppm
P - 0.42 ppm
K - 28.19 ppm
Fe - 0.629 ppm
Mg - 7.94 ppm
dGH - 3.29
Cu - 0.0068 ppm
B - 0.061 ppm
Mn - 0.21 ppm
Mo - 0.0038 ppm
S - 6.59 ppm
Zn - 0.028 ppm

I did have a couple of thought though, is the K too high at 28.19 ppm? and I'm wondering if I should reduce the MgSO4 dose (it was suggested in another thread to aim for a S concentration of 3 ppm). Adding 3/4 tsp would give me 3 ppm S but would reduce my Mg to approximately 5 ppm.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So an update,

I have been monitoring my Nitrate & Phosphate levels closely over the last week and I saw a distinct drop in both levels over the course of the week. My PO4 which was sky high has come down to the 2.5 ppm range (and I think it will drop even further once I do my 60% water change tomorrow). The Nitrate has also decreased as its consumed by the plants and I am seeing likely less than 5 ppm (the colour is fairly light pink). So after the water change tomorrow I'll start on my reduced dosing regime posted above and continue with the reduced lighting.

I was having some issues with inconsistent CO2 levels (my Sera Flora Reactor seemed to stall at a PH of 6.4 which is not a full 1 PH drop from my degassed water PH of 7.2). So I raided the plumbing department of our plumbing shop where I work and managed to compile almost all of the components to construct a Cerges reactor. I installed it this morning and it got my PH down to 6.2 in less than an hour and my CO2 controller is holding it there nicely.

Here are some pics:

IMG_1465 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

IMG_1464 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr
ipkiss likes this.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sept 22 - Water Change Day Update

Its water change day! So I did a fairly large 60% water change and a big prune of as much of the hair algae as I could. I also sprayed pretty much everything (with the exception of the Vals with a mixture of H202 and excel (stolen from a couple of other members on here!). So here are my pre-water change levels:

PH - 6.2
Temp: 74
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5 ppm
Phosphate - 2.5 ppm
GH - 9 drops - 180 ppm
KH - 4 Drops - 40 ppm
NC Iron - 0.1 ppm
Chelated Iron - 0.5 ppm
Calcium - 3 drops - 60 ppm

And a pre shot:

IMG_1466 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

And post water Change:

I added 4 + 1/8 tsp of Equilibrium to my new water and will start with my new dosing schedule tomorrow:

IMG_1467 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

I measured my Nitrate & Phosphate after the water change and I got < 5 ppm and approx. 2.5 ppm phosphate. I am not going to add any phosphate to the tank during my dosing until I can see a distinct drop to the 1 ppm range I'm hoping to get.

What I will be adding is the following:

Macros (Monday - Wednesday - Friday)

1/2 TSP KNO3
1/16 TSP KH2PO4 - Only after my levels drop back to normal levels
2 TSP MgSO4

Micros (Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday)

1/4 TSP Plantex CSM+B

Water Change Day

50% Water Change
Add 4 1/8 TSP of Equilibrium
Greggz and Quagulator like this.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sept 29 - Water Change Day Update (A day late!)

Some interesting developments this week. Most of my levels were the same but my nitrates had dropped significantly. I've never seen them below 5 ppm and they were very light pink on the scale. I also noticed the last couple of days there was a significant increase in the amount of GSA on the glass so I assume that was a result of the drop in nitrates. I have also seen some very nice growth from my Wisteria, the sword and the Cabomba. I assume my drop in nitrates was due to the plants utilizing it. So this week I decided to add a little extra KNO3 (1/2 tsp) right after the water change to front load a little. I had cut my light by 50% and I think it still might be a tad too bright so I'm going to knock it down another 20% and see what it does this week. This week was also filter change week so a new filter pad went in and I replaced one of the two purigen pouches and will regen the one I took out.

PH - 6.2
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 1 ppm
Phosphate - 2.5 ppm
GH - 9 drops - 180 ppm
KH - 4 Drops - 40 ppm
NC Iron - 0.1 ppm
Chelated Iron - 0.5 ppm

Forgot to take a before shot but here is what it looks like today. I also trimmed out a bunch of leaves that still had the hair algae on the Java fern and the crypts and in the ground cover. I think next water change I will pull out a bunch of the ground cover and spread it out a little, everything is a little crowded and I am not happy with how it looks.

IMG_1471 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr
Greggz likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Water Change Update (Done on Sunday, only posted now)

So some interesting developments this week. I've noticed that my Nitrates are bottoming out by the end of the week again and by Friday/Saturday I start to see an accumulation of mostly GSA on the glass and some long stringy algae on the crypts, java fern and on the wisteria. I also had my CO2 run out on Saturday so that contributed to a bit of a change in the concentration of CO2 in the water post water change. I added some Excel after the water change and had the CO2 back up and running by Monday afternoon. I am also seeing that my phosphates are registering pretty low on the test (I still haven't been dosing any phosphates) and I am thinking that I need to maybe start adding some (I'll start at 1/4 the EI dose and monitor the changes). Overall the plant mass is getting very thick. I had to trim a bunch of the Wisteria as it was very bushy, the Cabomba also got a trim and replant and I trimmed a bunch of the remaining BBA.

Water results pre-water change

PH - 6.2
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - .5 to 1 ppm
Phosphate - >1 ppm
GH - 9 drops - 180 ppm
KH - 4 Drops - 40 ppm
NC Iron - 0.1 ppm
Chelated Iron - 0.5 ppm

The plan this week is:

1. Increase KN03 Dosing to 3/4 TSP 3 x Week
2. Start adding 1/16 TSP KH2PO4 3 x a week and monitor the levels to see if I have the same appearance of GSA by the end of the week.

And finally some Pics:

Pre-water Change

IMG_1479 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

Post Water Change

IMG_1480 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another week, another water change.

Pre water change parameters

pH - 6.4
Temp: 72 F
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Phosphate:0.5 ppm
GH: 7 Drops - 140 ppm
KH: 4 Drops - 40 ppm
Non-Chelated Iron: 0.1 PPM
Chelated Iron: 1.0 Mg/L
Calcium: 3 drop 60 ppm

A few new things this week:

1. Added 5 Amano shrimp as a bit of an additional clean up crew, after I drip acclimated them I let them go and I haven't seen them since! they all headed straight into the java fern.
2. I added a couple new crypts at the front just for a bit of a different look.
3. Removed all of the small ground cover plant (I can't remember the name) and did a dip in a 1/2 Excel and peroxide solution and replanted it in a bit more spread out fashion.
4. I was having trouble with my CO2 not dropping down past 6.5 and I had even turned it up quite high. So after some investigation I determined that the check valve was not allowing flow through and it was causing back pressure on the reg. I swapped it out and were back in business. I believe this was part of the reason I was seeing some GSA on the glass by the end of the week (this and a drop in phosphates to .5 ppm).

And a full tank shot post water change:

IMG_1482 by Ryan Stewart, on Flickr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode