• 1 Post By Rnasty
  • 3 Post By woody123
  • 4 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My office tanks

I started this hobby just over a year ago with a 29-gallon tank in my home office. I started it as a high-tech tank, I am the plant keeper, my youngest daughter (12) is the fish keeper. Some things I started out doing right from the start others I had to learn the hard way. I am happy to say that I have battled several types of algae and have succeed by staying focused on plant health and keeping a clean tank along with the many tips I have found on this forum. I have some BBA left which I have come to live with. I still have this tank up and running but will be swapping it out for a 45-gallon breeder tank that I picked up for $40 dollars on craigslist.

I remodeled my office about two months ago to make room for 4 tanks. Only two of them are up and running the other two are on hold. I just wanted to have room for them when I got around to them. The tanks are:

50 gallon long: This one sits next to my computer and is my favorite tank so far. I started it about 8 weeks ago.
29 gallon: This is my first tank it will be swapped out for a 45 gallon breeder style tank soon.
10 gallon: This will be a low tech tank that my youngest daughter will be managing.
12 gallon: I really like the dimensions of this tank it will eventually be a medium tech tank with shrimp. I havenít tried keeping shrimp yet but look forward to setting it up some day.

This Journal will start out with the 50 gallon long as I just recently started it.

Tank dimensions
50 Gallon Long 48Ē X 12Ē X 19Ē This tank sits on my desk in my home office so the depth works great. I didnít like the extra height of the 55 gallons. I really enjoy the distraction of having the tank at eye level right next to me while working. I had been eyeing a 60 gallon long for some time, but I found this one new at a LFS for a steal so I bought it and put it in the shed for a few months while I rearranged my office and acquired all the equipment for it.

Co2:
5 Gallon co2 tank, homemade inline reactor, GLA regulator. I tried glass diffusers but didnít like having to clean them, I tried an inline diffuser but got tired of the soda pop look in the tank. I use a Milwaukie controller as kind of an insurance policy to set a low point PH level. When I first started out I had a cheap regulator that couldnít hold a steady bubble count, so I got a controller, timer, and just left the regulator turned up. I have sense purchased a GLA regulator that works pretty good I could probably stop using the controller, but I like having it there and I like being able to see what the PH is whenever I want without having to use a PH pen. My PH is at 6.8 out of the tap the ADA soil does buffer it some and we have soft water here in the Seattle area, I currently have a .8 PH drop before lights on trying to get it to 1.0.

Filtration:
Two Eheim 4 250ís I got from DR. foster & smith for around $100 each with free shipping on a clearance sale. This gives me plenty of filtration and I donít have to worry about the reduction in flow from the inline heater and the reactor. I clean the filters about every 6 weeks I separate cleaning them by one week so not to disturb things to much.

Substrate:
ADA Soil Ė really like this soil, between the soil and CO2 I was growing plants successfully my very first try which hooked me on the hobby.
Hardscape:
The hardscape isnít to important to me at this stage as I am really more focused on the plants. I do like to have some drift wood for separation and the ottoís. Iím sure I will eventually pay more attention to the hardscape as I get more experienced.

Ferts:

Aquatics Macro & Micro pre-mix. I follow the basic EI schedule with Micro & Macro every other day with booster on Sunday. 50% water change on Sunday. I enjoy the maintenance part of this hobby, so I do a pretty good clean and trim every weekend. Eventually I will start mixing my own and study this part of the hobby a bit more, but for now I am focused on keeping it simply and not getting to overwhelmed. I have tried several different pre-mix solutions and excel as well over the last year as part of my learning journey. I am just about ready to start custom mixing my own, probably a couple more months.

Lighting:

Finnex CC 48Ē 6 hours Max with a 3 hour ramp up and 3-hour ramp down and a 3-hour setting from 9-12PM set at a low moon light as I tend to work late in the evening and enjoy watching the tank. I really like the green LEDís for a moon lite for some reason, so I tend to favor the Finnex over the Fluval.
Fluval 3.0 This one is in the back and is used at about 30% - 40% for 6 hours during max daylight. I probably donít need two lights for what I grow.

Plants:
I have maybe 12 species in this tank but this changes often as I enjoy picking up new species and figuring out how to grow and maintain them.
Fish:
I started with a clean up crew of 6 Coryís not sure what kind, and 6 Ottoís. I added 20 silver tip tetras just yesterday. I may eventually add a pair of German gold rams or a few more silver tip tetras if I think the tank can accommodate a few more fish.

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:

Bump: I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Adding pictures

Pictures of the 50 gallon long

Bump: pictures of the office and the tanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	871399  

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	871401  

Name:	IMG_2143.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	871403  

Name:	IMG_2144.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	871405  

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

Nice tanks and great pics! Looks like a nice office distraction.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

If I had a tank next to my desk I'd never get any work done. Those look great!
EdTheEdge2 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice, love the red. It really pops with all the green.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My Office Tanks

Had some time off during the holidays and got some work done on the office tanks. swapped out the 29 gallon for a 40B. got the 10 gallon and 12 gallon low tech tanks up and running. the 10 Gallon has been cycled for a couple weeks and is ready for shrimp. I have yet to keep shrimp, I am looking forward to stocking that tank. The 40B and 12 Gallon are almost done cycling Ammonia at zero, nitrates are a bit high around 40ppm almost ready to stock both of these tanks as well not sure what I am going to do yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2593.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	875239  

Name:	IMG_2592.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	875241  

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	875243  

Name:	IMG_2589.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	875245  

Name:	IMG_2597.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	875247  

Name:	IMG_2596.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	875249  

Greggz, blackpearl and RCB like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wow, all your tanks look great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

very nice
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Tanks in your office? ...more like a desk in your aquarium room!

I like the cut of your jib

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Everything looks very healthy, and the presentations create a nice soothing tranquil atmosphere.

Very, very nicely done.

---
---
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Great work on this. There honestly is not much better than having the tanks in the office. I also have both of my tanks in my office and really enjoy the vibe. It is great during conference calls, and honestly even helps me concentrate at times when I am problem solving something.

Now I must say, the cleanliness of your desk is making me really want to go through things this afternoon! Also, I too have and L shaped desk... maybe a little 10 gallon rimless would be nice to the left of me too... Hmm you have me thinking!

Nice job on everything there!

|

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post
If I had a tank next to my desk I'd never get any work done. Those look great!
Exacty!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

Amazing tanks you've got there, thanks for the photos.

I'm thinking about putting just a tiny tank (Spec lll) in my office, but afraid I'll tinker with it all day, every day!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode