Fluval Spec V Journal! NOW a 20G High - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Fluval Spec V Journal! NOW a 20G High

Hello all,

First a quick background on me. I've been keeping fish longer than I can remember. When I was just a toddler my dad had a saltwater tank. Since then I've had beta's, a Cichlid tank, multiple nano reef tanks, a 75G reef tank, a 40B reef tank. Now at 28 years old I've moved out into my own apartment with my S/O and wanted something small to get me back into the hobby.

I've always admired planted tanks. I find myself just watching those scenic planted tank videos on YouTube. Gives me this feeling of peace and serenity.

Now this is my first attempt at a planted so go easy on my subpar scape! If this goes well, I want to upgrade to a 40g in a few months.

On to the setup!

-Fluval Spec V (new version)
-Stock filtration/Stock lighting
-Aqueon 50W heater
-Fluval Startum

I'm using my tap water with dechlorinator/conditioner.

As of now the tank was setup with water flowing on 10/20. I've also added the plants right away. I went with the following:

-Littorella Uniflora
-Cryptocoryne Lucens (I think it's Lucens)
-Water Wisteria
-Marimo Moss Balls

Cycle:

As of today 10/22, the tank has just been running as is. I've only tossed a pinch of fish flakes in there for now. I have Ammonia on the way along with the API master kit arriving Wednesday.

I'll be doing a full fishless cycle. I never put so much thought in a cycle as I feel saltwater is easier to cycle. In most cases the live rock you put in to a salt water tank is enough to seed it with just a mini cycle at most.

Future Plans:

As for livestock I want a few shrimp. Haven't decided on which ones. I also want to stock 5 Chili Rasbora's. I think this should be at the limit of the tank. If anyone has any recommendations here please let me know as this is not yet set in stone.

Pictures as of 10/22:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_181850.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	871063  

Name:	20181021_181907.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	871065  

Name:	20181021_181924.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	871067  

Last edited by Steemax; 11-05-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Change aquarium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can easily go to 10-12 chilis in the Spec V. Chilis are tiny. I have 10 ruby tetras in mine (same size as chilis) with RCS.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Can easily go to 10-12 chilis in the Spec V. Chilis are tiny. I have 10 ruby tetras in mine (same size as chilis) with RCS.
Thank you! i'm thinking the same. But now i'm starting to fall in love with the pea puffers and thinking of doing a solo pea puffer in here. I'll have to sleep on it.

On another note my test kit, and ammonia arrived.

Things to keep in mind: i had been putting fish flakes in the tank starting Sunday and a dose on Tuesday. So here are the results. It looks like PH is between 7.2 and 7.6. Ammonia is showing 0 from what I can tell. Nitrites at 0 but Nitrates at 20 to 40. I tested the source water and it tested at 20 so i'm ruling that out. Also my arms feel like wet noodles from all that vigorous shaking for the nitrate test

Afterwards I dosed the ammonia. Waited an hour and tested the ammonia and sure enough it's at 3ppm. Gonna go from here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181024_184156.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	871259  

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like a nice start! Let the water sit until it reads less than .5PPM ammonia, then dose it to 2ppm, rinse and repeat, until all the ammonia and nitrites convert to nitrate in 24 hours. (Sorry if you already know this. Answering the same question over and over on Facebook has made this an almost Pavlovian response for me. )

The wisteria will grow like a weed. I've actually had it send out subsurface roots that become the source for new plants. Beautiful plant, though. One of my favorites.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Looks like a nice start! Let the water sit until it reads less than .5PPM ammonia, then dose it to 2ppm, rinse and repeat, until all the ammonia and nitrites convert to nitrate in 24 hours. (Sorry if you already know this. Answering the same question over and over on Facebook has made this an almost Pavlovian response for me. )

The wisteria will grow like a weed. I've actually had it send out subsurface roots that become the source for new plants. Beautiful plant, though. One of my favorites.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops!
Thank you for your input! It's my first time cycling with ammonia... usually some of the organisms on the live rock and live sand die off and kick start the cycle in a salt water tank. So this is all new to me.

Oh the Wisteria is crazy! It's only been in the tank for exactly 7 days and the two in the back are above the water surface now. Going to already trim them today.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update. Tank has now been up for 1 week. Did an ammonia test today. Down to 2ppm. Going to wait until it gets to 1 before dosing back up.

Also tested nitrite which came at 0.

Wisteria is going out of control. Will need to trim it today as they are hitting the surface and bending.

The Cryptocoryne is melting but I'm just allowing it to do it's thing. Assuming this is normal.

Will keep this updated.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemax View Post
The Cryptocoryne is melting but I'm just allowing it to do it's thing. Assuming this is normal.
Almost certainly. As long as the roots survive, you should see new growth soon.

----
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Almost certainly. As long as the roots survive, you should see new growth soon.
Awesome, i'm already seeing some new baby stems/leaves coming out of the substrate.

Tested again today, Ammonia down to 1ppm, Nitrite is now showing 0.50ppm. Time to dose the Ammonia to 2ppm, rinse and repeat.

I'm not even bothering with Nitrates yet until Ammonia's start to process within 24 hours.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So Ammonia is now going to 0 from 2ppm in 24hrs and nitrites have spiked to 2ppm. This isn't too high right that it would cause a stall?

Nevertheless cycle is progressing. Coming up on two weeks this Saturday.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I may have stumbled on Saturday and ended up in Petco purchasing a 20G High since they had their $1/gal sale. Going to replace the Fluval Spec V with it. Going to keep the V and use it later down the line.

I picked up the following:
-Aqueon 20g high
-Fluval Aquasky /w Bluetooth 24 to 36" LED (Not bad, can create a custom sunrise/sunset effect with timer just from the app). It's bright but hopefully strong enough.
-Aqueon 150 watt heater
-AC50 Filter
-Fluval Stratum substrate 16lbs
-Few Lava rock
-Couple pieces of small driftwood
-Also picked up some Seachem Flourish, Flourish tabs & Flourish Excel for after the cycle.

Then went to Petsmart and picked up their Top Fin cabinet/stand which turned out to be a nightmare with 3,712 steps.

Additional Plants:
Also picked up some DHG (Eleocharis arcicularis variety) and a pot of Amazon sword.
Also received some Salvinia Minima in the mail today to help with the high nitrates in my tap water.

I flooded the tank Saturday afternoon, transferred everything from the Spec V. Added the new plants as well + the lava rock. I also transferred the media filter from the Spec V as it already had a modest enough BB built up that was able to process Ammonia in under 24hrs and Nitrites in a couple days at this point.

I got what looks like a bacteria bloom as the water has been cloudy since and only just starting to clear up after 2 days.

I'll start dosing the Excel after a month to allow the BB to saturate as I've read it acts as a antibiotic? Better safe than sorry.

Fish wish list:
- 6 Serpae Tetra
- 12 Neon Tetra (will wait a couple months to establish first)
- 3 Otos
- Few Amano Shrimp

Pics of progression to follow...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I haven't had either serpae tetras or neons, but I'd do a little more research on these. The serpae have a reputation as being a bit aggressive and as fin-nippers, especially in a smaller school. This could cause issues when trying to add different fish later.

Maybe look at something similar like red phantom tetras or Bentosi tetras.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...obrycon-eques/

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...ycon-sweglesi/

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rycon-bentosi/
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I haven't had either serpae tetras or neons, but I'd do a little more research on these. The serpae have a reputation as being a bit aggressive and as fin-nippers, especially in a smaller school. This could cause issues when trying to add different fish later.

Maybe look at something similar like red phantom tetras or Bentosi tetras.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...obrycon-eques/

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...ycon-sweglesi/

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...rycon-bentosi/
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to look more into it but I definitely would like some Neon tetra's and Oto's.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemax View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to look more into it but I definitely would like some Neon tetra's and Oto's.
I can recommend Bentosis as a substitute for Serpaes, much less prone to nipping. But I love neons, and a school of them in the 20H would look very nice. I'd wait a few months for the Otos, though, as you need to give time for biofilm and other things they feed on to develop.

----

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode