Rolla's 118G Journal (Photo heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum
 117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rolla's 118G Journal (Photo heavy)

I'm not sure where to begin with this.

Truth be told, I've been out of the hobby for a while and although I have a firm hold of the basics, I find myself leaning more towards "hopeful" than I am "confident" about this build. According to google my tank dimensions of L151 W51 H66 cm puts me at 118.87 US gallons. To date this is largest aquarium I've ever owned. Prior to this I had a 46gal which went down hill due to life/work changes resulting in me not being able to put in the time needed for maintenance...

In many ways I'm in new territory and I believe that navigating my way through it has been made possible via the information this site holds and it's helpful members. And it's on that note that I want to take a moment to acknowledge a few of this sites members...
@SueD For stocking suggestions that set me on a species only binge watch on youtube. @Greggz and @Immortal1 For your kind words of encouragement and inspiration. @Colin Wrexam For going above and beyond to help me with a plant list. Everyone in this Betta Splenden community thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...nity-tank.html for chewing the fat with me and exploring the possibilities. @swarleyfor your hardscape guidance.' @PlantedRich for pointing out a glaring rookie mistake that would have set me back several days without your assistance. @TheDude1 for your enthusiasm @Mike! @chayos00 and @Discusluv for your journals. Grobbins48 for your help... I should stop there because I can't possibly @Everyone and I I'll undoubtedly miss a lot more than a few of you. In short, thank you.

Stats

Tank
Juwel Rio 450L

Filtration & Circulation
Fluval FX6
Hydor Koralia 5000
Eheim Skim 350

Light
2x31W LED DAY - 1800 K
2x31W LED NATURE - 1300 K

Fish/Inverts
2X amano shrimp

CO2
3.15kg pressurized cylinder
Regulator: TBA

Ferts
ProFito

Plants
Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini'
Anubias Barteri
Anubias Nana Bonsai
Anubias Nana 'Mini'
Anubias Nana Pangolino
Anubias Nana Pinto
Bucephalandra Biblis
Bucephalandra Crisped Leaves
Bucephalandra Deep Purple
Bucephalandra Lamandau Mini Red
Bucephalandra Wavy Green
Cryptocoryne Balansae
Cryptocoryne species*
Hygrophila “Araguaia”
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila Salicifolia
Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan
Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red'
Limnophila aromatica
Lobelia sp. Mini
Ludwigia Arcuata
Ludwigia Glandulosa
Ludwigia mesakana
Ludwigia ovalis
Ludwigia sp. Mini
Marsilea Crenata*
Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo*
Red Tiger Lotus Bulb*
Rotala 'Bonsai'

*A few caveats*

I "lost" the Lotus bulb inside the aquarium. It's planted but I'm not exactly sure where

I'm undecided between the Marsilea Crenata and Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo' as my main carpeting plant.
I bought several Cryptocoryne species at my LFS but don't remember the exact names.

As it stands although planted the aquarium is quite a mess. I have a huge algae bloom due to dechlorinated water and an uncycled FX6 filter. I'll be seeding the filter tomorrow with cycled media which will get rid of the bac bloom. The tank itself looks smaller in this pic..

Other pics

I have a decent DSLR camera but I'm still getting to grips with the settings menu, which is both vast and daunting. I will update once the bloom clears with some decent pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

I can't wait to see where your tank journey leads you! It's such a fun experience! I'm glad my friend showed me some aquascaping pictures a few years ago and that lit the aquarium fire in me again after a few years away and a lifetime of being a clueless fish keeper.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz, Mike! and RollaPrime like this.

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Planted Member

Name-checked in an inaugural post! New heights of plantedtank notoriety!

I'm delighted by the width of your spectrum in plant difficulty. (Though, sidebar, are anubias and crypts actually easy if you care that they look good?) I'm intrigued with where you might be going with stocking. 120 gallons of bettas? Is that a thing? And I'm taking notes on the carpet as I just clicked on my CO2 a couple weeks ago and I'm still oscillating between Monte Carlo and ... everything else.
Greggz, chayos00 and RollaPrime like this.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
I can't wait to see where your tank journey leads you! It's such a fun experience! I'm glad my friend showed me some aquascaping pictures a few years ago and that lit the aquarium fire in me again after a few years away and a lifetime of being a clueless fish keeper.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm expecting a lot of plant melt, fungus, and some frustration but as long as I get the aquarium balanced, I'll be happy. I don't think the aquarium fire ever left you, my guess is that it shifted to the back burner until you were ready again. After some time away from the hobby, when we bought our current address earlier this year, the first thing that came to mind for me was "I wonder what aquarium would look the best against that wall!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Name-checked in an inaugural post! New heights of plantedtank notoriety!

I'm delighted by the width of your spectrum in plant difficulty. (Though, sidebar, are anubias and crypts actually easy if you care that they look good?) I'm intrigued with where you might be going with stocking. 120 gallons of bettas? Is that a thing? And I'm taking notes on the carpet as I just clicked on my CO2 a couple weeks ago and I'm still oscillating between Monte Carlo and ... everything else.
Hey Mike

The betta conversation was to see if it's possible to add a male splenden to a planted community. It seems you have to go against the grain of conventional wisdom to do it, but I think it's possible. I'm going to try it and see how it pans out. I plan to monitor my Monte Carlo and Marsilea Crenata closely (this camera has a few tricks to help with that) and I'll update in a week - 10 days with the results which should help if you can wait that long.

And it's not Notoriety by any stretch of the imagination. I'd call it fame Your journal is a really good read and I'm still in awe of your pogostemon stellatus!
Greggz, chayos00 and Mike! like this.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sometimes we do need to jump in the water, if only to get our feet wet. Does it always good smoothly? NO!
But like I used to tell the old boss, "the only guys making mistakes are the ones who are working." Those who are not making a few mistakes are likely to not be getting much done, either!
I lose a few plants or fish, now and then, even though I try to hold it down. But when fishing or golfing, I also lost a few things like lures and golf balls.
Greggz, chayos00 and RollaPrime like this.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
But when fishing or golfing, I also lost a few things like lures and golf balls.
LOL. Especially a fresh golf ball right out the pack, or a lure on the first cast. Arrrggghhhhh!
Immortal1 and RollaPrime like this.

------------------
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good morning! Looks like the start of a nice build thread. Guessing the FX6 will have more than enough filtering volume for this size tank - will be interesting to see what arrangement you end up with for output into the tank (spray bar(s), lilly pipe, DIY, end to end or front to back, etc.) I'm finding in my 75g tank the AquaTOP 500 with a spray bar at the top right is plenty to create some flow at the bottom left. I do have 1 Hydor Koralia 450 running but debate it's usefulness. When the plants are trimmed short, it really is not needed. When the plants are nearly to the surface, I find it helpful (if that all makes sense).
Curious about your lighting setup - have absolutely no experience with those bulbs. Just arm chair guessing the light level won't be super high which is a good thing - especially for a new tank.

As always, look forward to your progress.
Greggz and RollaPrime like this.

post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Sometimes we do need to jump in the water, if only to get our feet wet. Does it always good smoothly? NO!
But like I used to tell the old boss, "the only guys making mistakes are the ones who are working." Those who are not making a few mistakes are likely to not be getting much done, either!
I lose a few plants or fish, now and then, even though I try to hold it down. But when fishing or golfing, I also lost a few things like lures and golf balls.
Wise words indeed. It does feel good to be back in the mix. My lighting and circulation are the biggest concern for me right now but I guess any issues will reveal themselves in due course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
LOL. Especially a fresh golf ball right out the pack, or a lure on the first cast. Arrrggghhhhh!
Hey Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Good morning! Looks like the start of a nice build thread. Guessing the FX6 will have more than enough filtering volume for this size tank - will be interesting to see what arrangement you end up with for output into the tank (spray bar(s), lilly pipe, DIY, end to end or front to back, etc.) I'm finding in my 75g tank the AquaTOP 500 with a spray bar at the top right is plenty to create some flow at the bottom left. I do have 1 Hydor Koralia 450 running but debate it's usefulness. When the plants are trimmed short, it really is not needed. When the plants are nearly to the surface, I find it helpful (if that all makes sense).
Curious about your lighting setup - have absolutely no experience with those bulbs. Just arm chair guessing the light level won't be super high which is a good thing - especially for a new tank.

As always, look forward to your progress.
Hey Immortal

I really like the FX6. However, the outflow isn't sufficient to get circulation to all parts of the tank and also the lilly pipe (I'm not sure if it's called that) seems to slide down from it's connection and few Centimeters overnight? I went with the Koralia (gen 3) because of the magnet connection taking up minimal space. Combined they appear to be getting flow to every part of the tank.

The light unit is by Juwel. A German company that's pretty much cornered the EU aquarium market and they do everything to force you into purchasing their products by customizing their fittings.

The light unit that ships with the aquarium is actually:
1x31W LED DAY - 9000 K
1x31W LED NATURE - 6500 K
Total Lumens of 7130

I bought an additional light unit to double those stats. The definition of low/med/high isn't clear especially since "lumens" and "watts" define med/low light differently.

I'm still on the lower end of the light spectrum but in a much better position to grow a wider range of plants, hopefully.
Greggz likes this.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

Subbed -- sounds like a great start! That's quite an extensive plant list, it really seems like you've done a lot of planning before jumping in. I'll be interested to see which of those thrive in your setup. Looking forward to updates!

Quote:
lol, I've lost a few lures on the first cast...and some of the jerkbaits I use for chasing walleye are not cheap...makes you sick when it happens!!

post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbgolds View Post
Subbed -- sounds like a great start! That's quite an extensive plant list, it really seems like you've done a lot of planning before jumping in. I'll be interested to see which of those thrive in your setup. Looking forward to updates!

lol, I've lost a few lures on the first cast...and some of the jerkbaits I use for chasing walleye are not cheap...makes you sick when it happens!!
Hi nbgolds

My water parameters have changed because of the house move so I'm a little worried about what will thrive or fail too. I plan to update regardless.

Thanks for the post.
Greggz and nbgolds like this.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
Wise words indeed. It does feel good to be back in the mix. My lighting and circulation are the biggest concern for me right now but I guess any issues will reveal themselves in due course.

Hey Immortal

I really like the FX6. However, the outflow isn't sufficient to get circulation to all parts of the tank and also the lilly pipe (I'm not sure if it's called that) seems to slide down from it's connection and few Centimeters overnight? I went with the Koralia (gen 3) because of the magnet connection taking up minimal space. Combined they appear to be getting flow to every part of the tank.

The light unit is by Juwel. A German company that's pretty much cornered the EU aquarium market and they do everything to force you into purchasing their products by customizing their fittings.

The light unit that ships with the aquarium is actually:
1x31W LED DAY - 9000 K
1x31W LED NATURE - 6500 K
Total Lumens of 7130

I bought an additional light unit to double those stats. The definition of low/med/high isn't clear especially since "lumens" and "watts" define med/low light differently.

I'm still on the lower end of the light spectrum but in a much better position to grow a wider range of plants, hopefully.

Interesting products - was just visiting their site. From what I can see, the fixture does not have dimming functions? Basically turn on / turn off like a regular T5 fluorescent fixture. I see they do have 3 different bulbs and with your 4 bulb setup you do at least have some flexibility in how your tanks looks. I know @Greggz has juggled several different brands / models of T5 bulbs to get where he is at. As you stated, Lumens does not necessarily work for a planted tank - will be interesting to see just how bright those lights actually are. With a total of 124 watts of LED light you should have pretty decent power.

Curious, what does the FX6 have for a tank return? Honest I have not owned one so I have no idea. Pretty much DIY on all of my tanks.

post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a good looking tank.

Balancing the amount of light for the crypts/anubias/buce, Ludwigias/stems, and the carpet should be interesting. I have no clue what kind of PAR those lights produce. Would be interesting to know.

The tank dimensions are very much similar to my 120G. Like mine, your tank is somewhat tall, which has it's challenges with lighting.

Good luck, and this should be an interesting one to follow. Very much looking forward to seeing it planted.

Subscribed!
RollaPrime likes this.

------------------
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I plan to monitor my Monte Carlo and Marsilea Crenata closely (this camera has a few tricks to help with that) and I'll update in a week - 10 days with the results which should help if you can wait that long.

And it's not Notoriety by any stretch of the imagination. I'd call it fame Your journal is a really good read and I'm still in awe of your pogostemon stellatus!
I'm theoretically on a self-imposed plant hiatus until I see the Amano exhibit in Lisbon early next month, so plenty of time! I have a well-documented history of delaying gratification!*

As for notoriety , I was thinking of that as a positive, you know, all press is good press. But then, I have a lot of funny ideas about words.

*False
RollaPrime likes this.

post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Interesting products - was just visiting their site. From what I can see, the fixture does not have dimming functions? Basically turn on / turn off like a regular T5 fluorescent fixture. I see they do have 3 different bulbs and with your 4 bulb setup you do at least have some flexibility in how your tanks looks. I know @Greggz has juggled several different brands / models of T5 bulbs to get where he is at. As you stated, Lumens does not necessarily work for a planted tank - will be interesting to see just how bright those lights actually are. With a total of 124 watts of LED light you should have pretty decent power.

Curious, what does the FX6 have for a tank return? Honest I have not owned one so I have no idea. Pretty much DIY on all of my tanks.
In my time away from the hobby it seems things have changed significantly in terms of lighting, in a relatively short space of time too. I joined the planted reddit shortly after signing up here. Initially I thought LED was more about the aesthetics. Coming from a T5HO "background" customizing the day/night/dawn light cycle, and ripple effect seemed more of a fun feature than a necessity. It wasn't until Juwel themselves (the company that dominates the EU aquarium market) started shipping their units with LED units after years of T5 that I started looking into it. The rule that I was given about Lumens were

<10K super low light
20K> medium

I didn't bother to remember what high light is in lumens because I've never wanted to be in that spectrum. But with the standard light unit for my tank being 7130 lumens, I figured doubling that should put me in a better position to at least attempt to keep a wider range of plants. As for the FX6 return, it's listed on amazon as the "Output Nozzle" so not a lilly pipe as I referred o it earlier.

Essentially a ball head connection.

Quote:
That's a good looking tank.

Balancing the amount of light for the crypts/anubias/buce, Ludwigias/stems, and the carpet should be interesting. I have no clue what kind of PAR those lights produce. Would be interesting to know.

The tank dimensions are very much similar to my 120G. Like mine, your tank is somewhat tall, which has it's challenges with lighting.

Good luck, and this should be an interesting one to follow. Very much looking forward to seeing it planted.

Subscribed!
I appreciate the follow Greg. I still look through your thread whenever it's updated. Truly stunning!

I'm a little concerned about the slower growing plants too. I've decided to keep some algae eating catfish in the aquarium to feed off any excess diatoms that may develop. The problem with that is I've never kept catfish algae eaters before. And it appears that some only eat algae as juveniles and then graduate to flake. Others are commonly sold as one species while being another. Some grow too large etc etc. I added the cycled media today so have a week before the bacs start to die off (I fed them pure ammonia last night) and will take some time to research, source and be able to ID the species needed as well as how many for fish-in day next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I'm theoretically on a self-imposed plant hiatus until I see the Amano exhibit in Lisbon early next month, so plenty of time! I have a well-documented history of delaying gratification!*

As for notoriety , I was thinking of that as a positive, you know, all press is good press. But then, I have a lot of funny ideas about words.

*False
Ahh I see. I thought you meant notoriety as being famous for something bad. But it's all good lol.

I chose those two carpeting plants because they were described on Tropica's site as "medium" for both growth rate and amount of light required. I couldn't decide between the two and had little info as to which grows the "fastest." I put that in quotes because I know that growth rate is a variable according to each individual set up. That said, the aim is to get a carpet pulling in as much excess nutrients as possible as quickly as possible. So out of the two, whichever responds best to my particular setup gets the job.
Greggz, Mike! and nbgolds like this.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I've decided to keep some algae eating catfish in the aquarium to feed off any excess diatoms that may develop. The problem with that is I've never kept catfish algae eaters before. And it appears that some only eat algae as juveniles and then graduate to flake.
Curious what fish are you talking about? SAE's? Oto's?
RollaPrime likes this.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode