Rolla's 118G Journal (Photo heavy) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am excited to follow along on this one and see where you take it! I envy the deeper tank, that will give you many possibilities while scaping and stocking! I'll absolutely be following along. Subscribed!
RollaPrime likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Curious what fish are you talking about? SAE's? Oto's?
I'm leaning towards Otocinclus. I was reading through a thread on the forum that threw me a little. Being inexperienced with them I figured I'd research more closer to Fish-in day next week. What would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I am excited to follow along on this one and see where you take it! I envy the deeper tank, that will give you many possibilities while scaping and stocking! I'll absolutely be following along. Subscribed!

I really appreciate the kind words. I've always wanted a larger tank. The planned scape had to be changed due to flow issues and the stocking is still a rough idea as I'm still deciding between species. Have you by any chance read through the uncommon tetras thread?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...on-tetras.html

I haven't been able to source any but did spend a while researching if a few of my favs in there were available. I have narrowed it down to a large school of about 7 species but it changes every time I go to the LFS.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
I'm leaning towards Otocinclus. I was reading through a thread on the forum that threw me a little. Being inexperienced with them I figured I'd research more closer to Fish-in day next week. What would you recommend?

I really appreciate the kind words. I've always wanted a larger tank. The planned scape had to be changed due to flow issues and the stocking is still a rough idea as I'm still deciding between species. Have you by any chance read through the uncommon tetras thread?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...on-tetras.html

I haven't been able to source any but did spend a while researching if a few of my favs in there were available. I have narrowed it down to a large school of about 7 species but it changes every time I go to the LFS.
Otocinclus are one of my favorite fish in general. They are really enjoyable little schoolers. I would suggest a minimum of 6 of them but the larger the school the better, especially if you are thinking of doing a school of tetras in the tank as well (in my opinion). I have 6 in my 55, and almost bought 6 more today, but will be out of town for the next week, so I held off for now. They can be fragil fish at first due the the sourcing, warehousing, and shipping process, so make sure you watch them for a few moments in the tank that they are active and moving around. I also typically add them when I have some algae growth in the tank to have a natural food source. You can also use blanched zucchini, etc. for them.
MCFC, RollaPrime and nbgolds like this.

|

post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you have any questions specific to tetras I can help.
The Dude1 and RollaPrime like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I recommend not relying on any algae eaters. Not saying it's not good to have some, but they aren't going to dent a major outbreak if one pops up.

And while I generally don't keep any algae eaters, I do have a handful of Oto's I bought a long time ago somewhere in my tank. I only see them on water change day, as in a heavily planted tank there are lots of places to hide. And honestly I don't really think they make a noticeable difference. Mine are pretty chubby, but might just be eating leftover food for all I know.

My guess is that if things are really off in the tank, and algae is a real problem, you would need an army of them to make a real impact (at least in a large tank). The only real solution is find the root causes and correct them.

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 10-19-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

I have four otos, and I love them. Like grobbins said, not only for their amazing algae-destroying super powers, but for who they are as fish. lol, that sounds like someone saying they like Clark Kent better than Superman, but yeah. Honestly, they're fun to watch, zooming around the tank, together in pairs or sometimes as loners. And they can get to the craziest positions under leaves, filter pipes, and so on. I supplement mine with par-boiled zucchini, which I keep frozen until I need a new piece. If you decide to go with otos, make sure you feed them something besides relying on algae.
Greggz and RollaPrime like this.

post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Otocinclus are one of my favorite fish in general. They are really enjoyable little schoolers. I would suggest a minimum of 6 of them but the larger the school the better, especially if you are thinking of doing a school of tetras in the tank as well (in my opinion). I have 6 in my 55, and almost bought 6 more today, but will be out of town for the next week, so I held off for now. They can be fragil fish at first due the the sourcing, warehousing, and shipping process, so make sure you watch them for a few moments in the tank that they are active and moving around. I also typically add them when I have some algae growth in the tank to have a natural food source. You can also use blanched zucchini, etc. for them.

This is great advice! I'll get 6 to start with and see how things pan out. I think I mentioned earlier that I only have 7 days before bacs start to die off so this time next week, if I get a larger tetra species, I'll definitely join the group of proud Oto owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
If you have any questions specific to tetras I can help.
Hi Discusluv! I'm currently deciding between a large school of

Bleeding heart
Rummynose
Silver tip
Black Skirt
Diamond
Rummynose
Bloodfin

Or an even larger school of Green neons. I'm basing it more on how active the school will be. Obviously Rummynose will school tightly but I do like tetras that will display and spawn in my parameters. I'm really undecided and although I'd like to make a decision before hand, it might be what looks best on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I recommend not relying on any algae eaters. Not saying it's not good to have some, but they aren't going to dent a major outbreak if one pops up.

And while I generally don't keep any algae eaters, I do have a handful of Oto's I bought a long time ago somewhere in my tank. I only see them on water change day, as in a heavily planted tank there are lots of places to hide. And honestly I don't really think they make a noticeable difference. Mine are pretty chubby, but might just be eating leftover food for all I know.

My guess is that if things are really off in the tank, and algae is a real problem, you would need an army of them to make a real impact (at least in a large tank). The only real solution is find the root causes and correct them.
Definitely Gregg! I'm aiming for a balance first and foremost. I'm not buying them to fix any potential issues more so to be "caretakers." Previously I'd rely on shrimp for that role but larger tetras will feast on cherry sized shrimp so Otos have become an option. I might get rummies or neons and stick with shrimp since I've housed those species together without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbgolds View Post
I have four otos, and I love them. Like grobbins said, not only for their amazing algae-destroying super powers, but for who they are as fish. lol, that sounds like someone saying they like Clark Kent better than Superman, but yeah. Honestly, they're fun to watch, zooming around the tank, together in pairs or sometimes as loners. And they can get to the craziest positions under leaves, filter pipes, and so on. I supplement mine with par-boiled zucchini, which I keep frozen until I need a new piece. If you decide to go with otos, make sure you feed them something besides relying on algae.

I have the white fur/fungs on wood and in general the bio film that comes with a new tank. I'm most concerned about the otos being healthy and well fed so I'll bee buying some zucchini next week. Can I bother you for some cooking instructions of the Zucchini?
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Algae Grower

Fish zucchini: I just cut mine in half lengthwise, then cut out the middle part with seeds and discard (the fish don’t eat them and they get everywhere). Slice into desired size, and drop pieces into boiling water for 2 minutes. Use slotted spoon to transfer pieces into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking, and let cool for a few minutes. Dab dry pieces with paper towel, and arrange in single layer in cookie sheet, and freeze. Transfer frozen pieces to freezer storage bag. That’s it! I give my Otos a new piece every few days, and the nerites love it too. I use a plant weight to keep the zucchini pieces on the bottom of the tank.
chayos00 and RollaPrime like this.

post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbgolds View Post
Fish zucchini: I just cut mine in half lengthwise, then cut out the middle part with seeds and discard (the fish donít eat them and they get everywhere). Slice into desired size, and drop pieces into boiling water for 2 minutes. Use slotted spoon to transfer pieces into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking, and let cool for a few minutes. Dab dry pieces with paper towel, and arrange in single layer in cookie sheet, and freeze. Transfer frozen pieces to freezer storage bag. Thatís it! I give my Otos a new piece every few days, and the nerites love it too. I use a plant weight to keep the zucchini pieces on the bottom of the tank.

chayos00, Immortal1, MCFC and 2 others like this.
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Rofl!
Grobbins48 and RollaPrime like this.

My tank journal.

post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I consider myself semi tech savi but I cameras home screen is a bombardment of settings.

The aquarium is a lot less cloudy today than it was prior to me adding the filtered media. I'm using auto setting and hopefully I will get better at taking pictures asap. There are some tutorials on youtube I need to watch...

Greggz, chayos00, MCFC and 3 others like this.
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a really good looking start to a tank!

One note - as the plants grow in the rocks are likely going to disappear. But most people slowly remove a lot of the hardscape they originally started with in favour of more floor space anyway, so it'll probably sort itself out in the end
Greggz, Grobbins48 and RollaPrime like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a school of 100 green neons and a school of 75 green fire tetras. It's a 150 gallon The tank is everything I've ever wanted. I've done neons, cardinals, lemons, pritillas, and numerous other groups in my 150
In my 75 gallon German blue Ram tank I have 15 Rummynose and 45-50 bloodfins as well as 10 Celebes Rainbows.
I will strongly suggest you contact Aquatic Clarity. Excellent prices on incredible fish...I did not lose a single one. If you want I'll post a pic.of my tank when I walk by... it is legitimately a show stopper. I've got 2 Peacock gudgeons, 2 Bolivian Rams and 3 Thomasi cichlids along with 2 ABN plecos and a group of 10 syno lucipinnis. It really Amazing
Decide what you want for sure and order fro. Aquatic Clarity or CoralBandit for Rams and such.
My last suggestion is to get a properly sized UV sterilizer. I lost hundreds of neons before I hooked up the sterilizer. No more issues.
I guess I missed it... how big is the tank? I'm working on a 265 that's going to be GBR'S and discus...and an undecided tetra. Maybe wadai..
Discusluv and RollaPrime like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I have a school of 100 green neons and a school of 75 green fire tetras. It's a 150 gallon The tank is everything I've ever wanted. I've done neons, cardinals, lemons, pritillas, and numerous other groups in my 150
In my 75 gallon German blue Ram tank I have 15 Rummynose and 45-50 bloodfins as well as 10 Celebes Rainbows.
I will strongly suggest you contact Aquatic Clarity. Excellent prices on incredible fish...I did not lose a single one. If you want I'll post a pic.of my tank when I walk by... it is legitimately a show stopper. I've got 2 Peacock gudgeons, 2 Bolivian Rams and 3 Thomasi cichlids along with 2 ABN plecos and a group of 10 syno lucipinnis. It really Amazing
Decide what you want for sure and order fro. Aquatic Clarity or CoralBandit for Rams and such.
My last suggestion is to get a properly sized UV sterilizer. I lost hundreds of neons before I hooked up the sterilizer. No more issues.
I guess I missed it... how big is the tank? I'm working on a 265 that's going to be GBR'S and discus...and an undecided tetra. Maybe wadai..
Did I read discus?
Good choice! And, of course Wadai are a beautiful characin.

I wish I had some fry for you, but my discus are taking some time off from spawning.

But, you can get some from Poppa, his discus are always spawning.
Im supposed to get some Piwow grow-outs soon from him.
The Dude1 and RollaPrime like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
That's a really good looking start to a tank!

One note - as the plants grow in the rocks are likely going to disappear. But most people slowly remove a lot of the hardscape they originally started with in favour of more floor space anyway, so it'll probably sort itself out in the end
I can see that happening in due course. I'm not sure where I'll put them due to the scape but I definitely want more buces. For now I'm just monitoring for any potential imbalances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I have been reading through your journal since I signed up. You've posted a ton of info about each so for me, it's been really helpful especially the Bloodfins. And yes, please post the pic if and when you can.
The Dude1 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode