65 gallon Iwagumi style Paludarium for vampire crabs. - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
65 gallon Iwagumi style Paludarium for vampire crabs.

I have decided to start my journal for the remake of my 65 gallon paludarium hoping it will motivate me to complete things faster than a snails pace. Here is a link to my old paludarium in case anyone wants to take a gander:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...lantarium.html

I loved the old tank and had a lot of fun building it and sharing it with the forum. However, the tank had several issues that I hope to alleviate this time around.

1. There was always surface scum and I still had duckweed in this tank. The duckweed was the main problem I had with the tank in my first build (this current one is the 3rd rebuild)

2. The heater failed quickly after I installed it. While I can't say for certain my guess is that a fluctuating water level is to blame for the malfunction. It was difficult to remove the heater and I never bothered to since I would have to dismantle a large part of the scape to do so.

3. While the water feature worked and looked cool at first, it was quickly obstructed from view by plants.

4. The humidity levels in the tank were not what I thought they would be. This dried out the clay wall and I did not get any decent moss growth other than close to the water line.

5. Clay fell into the water a good bit. (I wouldn't want to know what the TDS of the tank was)

6. The inhabitants could get behind the hardscape and many times I could not see a single inhabitant due to them being hidden.

7. I want the scape to have more impact and want to lower the water level too. With more focus on the land portion with a water feature that starts higher in the tank for more of a waterfall effect.

The main thing I want to change is to employ a sump in this design. This will help to have easy access to equipment and will help with surface skimming and a constant water level. I wanted to make a sump with the previous build but the way this tank is set up I need to drill the tank to do it and at the time was too afraid that I would crack the glass. I plan on the outflow of the sump feeding into a waterfall feature which I hope will increase the humidity to the higher reaches of the tank. I will also be adding a misting system to help with this.

I am also going to change the hardscape and drop the water level as well as making improvements to ensure inhabitants are front row and center. This includes improvements to the claywall.

I am also going to be adding a lot of other bells and whistles to make it cooler overall.

I am currently in the middle of tearing the old tank apart. This included tearing down each chunk of the clay wall and removing any isopods I found (which was a lot). As I said this has been painstakingly slow and I hope I can increase my pace overall.
johnson18 and geektom like this.

Last edited by thedudeabides; 02-28-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love paludariums and will be following with interest!
thedudeabides likes this.

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geektom View Post
I love paludariums and will be following with interest!
Awesome! Yeah paludariums are fun and create all kinds of new challenges.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Algae Grower

Cool, following here now!

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So one thing I got right the previous build was that the lavarock inside island would provide a lot of habitat for the clean up crew. When I removed the top of the island that lava rock inside was crawling with springtails.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nothing too exciting to report been pretty busy lately and it has been a slow process breaking down the old one. A few things I noticed when breaking it down.

There was a good bit of mulm in the lava rock but less than I expected. Also there was a ton of silt from the clay in there. While the water never got cloudy a ton had settled in the substrate and behind the island. I am going to try and prevent clay from entering the water the next go round.

Here is a picture of the silt with MTS trails throughout

Also isopods were climbing up the cords and getting stuck on the duct tape quite a bit.

Like I said nothing too exciting.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Algae Grower

Just read through your previous build. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think one of your MTS had been drinking!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWonkyMcJankeypants View Post
Just read through your previous build. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!
Awesome I appreciate you taking the time. Hopefully the jumbled up ball of ideas in my head come to fruition and I can pull off my vision. Only time will tell.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
I think one of your MTS had been drinking!
Ha! In it's defense I did tear apart probably the only home it's ever known. That'll drive any snail to drinking.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok quick update. I have had a little bit of free time over the holidays and finished some other nagging projects and had a few minutes to work on this one.

So the idea for this scape is to incorporate concepts of Iwagumi and apply it to a paludarium. Basically I will use the main stones in the iwagumi to divide the land and water portions. Here are the three stones I am using for this build:

Oyaishi:

Fukuishi:

Soeishi:

I started messing around with them and how to stabilize them, I set them on some spare matten filter I have to add height and used it to stabilize as well. I am thinking I wont go that route since in areas where the matten is doubled up there is 4" of material and this would take up a lot of substrate to cover up. Any way here are some arrangements I came up with that I liked (sorry for the dirty glass)

Need to play around more to see how I want to arrange and stabilize these rocks. Any suggestions I am all ears.

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No one has any Iwagumi advise? Oh well I guess I'm on my own then ha ha.

People who followed my previous build might know I am a big fan of isopods. Wondering if I should put some of these in there:

I am only halfway serious as they are pretty expensive and prefer it on the drier side (probably would have done better in the old tank) but it would be pretty cool to have isopods that were more than twice the size of the fish I am planning on.

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Can't help with Iwagumi arrangements other than shooting for the generic "rule of thirds" focal point design... As far as stabilizing, what about making the clay as used in your previous build to make a custom foundation to keep the rocks in place? I really hesitate to give advice because you're pretty far beyond me creatively, but I look forward to see what you come up with! I'm sure whatever you do will really "tie the room together"

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can only assume this is an aquarium with only fish that swim forwards the same way they do backwards?

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Can't help with Iwagumi arrangements other than shooting for the generic "rule of thirds" focal point design... As far as stabilizing, what about making the clay as used in your previous build to make a custom foundation to keep the rocks in place? I really hesitate to give advice because you're pretty far beyond me creatively, but I look forward to see what you come up with! I'm sure whatever you do will really "tie the room together"
Yeah trying to incorporate the rule of thirds as much as I can. It gets a little more tricky with this tank since the front pane is 18" and the back 28". I have concluded I will use the front pane as far as measuring and the rule of thirds. This is mainly due to what water depth I want and the size of the rocks. As far as stabilization the clay can't be under the water or it get all mushy. I started playing with making a cradle out of eggcrate, I am thinking I could cover that in pond foam to further secure it. Hopefully it will be a valued tank by the time I'm done.
KayakJimW likes this.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
I can only assume this is an aquarium with only fish that swim forwards the same way they do backwards?
Ha took me a minute.

Tags
paludarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode