65 gallon Iwagumi style Paludarium for vampire crabs. - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Hopefully! Yeah the pic I posted seems huge does anyone know if I can make them appear smaller. Not the most technically savvy in the world.

Bump: Never mind It's the size of all the other pics

Whoops, I'm an idiot. I use Flickr, not Imgur (darned made up words...) In Flickr when you choose to share a BBC code it gives a drop down menu with the following size options:
Square 75 ◊ 75
Thumbnail 100 ◊ 56
Square 150 ◊ 150
Small 240 ◊ 135
Small 320 ◊ 180
Medium 500 ◊ 281
Medium 640 ◊ 360
Medium 800 ◊ 450
Large 1024 ◊ 576
Large 1600 ◊ 900
Large 2048 ◊ 1152
Original 4128 ◊ 2322

I just played around clicking "preview post" on this forum until I thought it looked right. Went with Medium 640 x 360 Might be something similar on Imgur?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Got a decent amount of work done on the tank. First I tested the waterfall, it worked perfectly. I took a little video below. It doesn't have crazy flow and the water stays where I want it. If I could give one piece of advice for water features it is to let the inflow go into and spill over a basin as opposed to letting it flow right out of the hose. This leads to less splashing and looks more natural IMO.

I also got the sphagnum / clay on the walls. Still cleaning up from this.

[IMG][/IMG]

I got some holes drilled in the lid for misting and the in flow. I also connected all the plumbing and it doesn't leak!

Next will be fusing the 2 big lava rocks and setting them in place.
tredford and jesseeka like this.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So my daughter had her tonsils out and I took the entire last week off of work. She wanted mommy for the most part so this freed me up to do a ton of work on the tank. I will be making several post that track my progress. Unfortunately my pump failed after just a day of use (not sure why) so I am at a bit of a stand still as of late.

The first thing I did was secure the main rocks used in the scape. I did this using an interesting technique involving a chemical reaction with cigarette filters and super glue. When combined it creates a incredibly strong bond.

These are the materials I used

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the material in the filters.

[IMG][/IMG]

It may be hard to see but the reaction creates a smoke while taking place. This was a test piece.

[IMG][/IMG]

After this I tested the strength of the bond. I was able to pull them apart but it took a lot of effort. I think it was the rock itself that pulled off and if it wasn't lava rock it would be an even stronger bond.

I decided to go with a configuration that provided max stability. While not as visually pleasing as I could have made it, it is more secure.

[IMG][/IMG]

I was having a tough time securing the rocks while bonding. After the first attempt they broke apart after I moved them around a little to much right after setting them (did not allow enough time to cure). I tried numerous things to temporarily bind them together (rope and various frames) but in the end good ol fashioned zip ties for the win.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Much more to follow.

post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also added some brackets to the stand to keep the tubing in place.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can anyone guess what I am doing with this stuff? It's a surprise!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

post #51 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mmmmm, beer?
varanidguy likes this.
post #52 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Mmmmm, beer?
Nah I leave that to the hands of professionals

post #53 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So another hiccup that came up was I am getting the dreaded sucking of air with my bulkhead. I though that it would be such a low flow that it might not happen. I have some ideas on how to remedy this but I have gotten no input thus far. I am going to try to do a modified durso standpipe with my bulk head. I may also try to get a weaker pump to cut down on the flow.

post #54 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So the after this I got my hardscape together. Due to the way this tank is built I wanted to do the scape so it was interesting looking at it head on as well as from above. There is a trend with paludariums where you have a large island on the left, a smaller island on the right and water in the middle. I wanted to do something different so I tried to incorporate some of the elements of an Iwagumi aquascape and used 3 large lava rocks that transition the water and land portions. This didn't quite work out the way I envisioned it in my head but I can live with the results. I wanted a smoother transition from the land to water. I haven't decided if I will go back and try to modify the hardscape make that happen.

The aquatic section is basically the same as my old set up where it is whitish sand up front aquasoil in the planted section. These sections are separated by lava rocks. The planted section is on the right side and extends to the back of the tank where the bulkhead is.
tredford likes this.

post #55 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK now on to the fun stuff. I was able to plant the tank while on my stayca. Here are some of the plants.

Anubias Nana Petite, I didn't realize how much of this stuff I was sitting on. It has been in a tub on my floor since I tore down the old tank.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bucephalandra Green wavy, I would not have included this if I knew how much petite I had.

[IMG][/IMG]

These 2 were glued in mainly near the waterfall section.

[IMG][/IMG]

Fissidens nobilis in addition to this I also had some mini x-mas moss and Riccia that I just chopped up and glued various places in the tank

[IMG][/IMG]

Hygrophila pinnatifida originally I planted this in the water behind the big rocks but I removed them and planted it in the wall. These weren't in the best shape so not sure if they'll do anything.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'

[IMG][/IMG]

Cryptocoryne parva

[IMG][/IMG]

Equisetum scirpoides

[IMG][/IMG]

In addition I had some narrow leaf java fern and one anubias nana I planted. I also had dwarf baby tears and Utricularia graminifolia that were in bad shape and I ended up not using and tossing might get some more of the DBT.

As far as terrestrial plants I only took pictures of Tillandsia bulbosa.

[IMG][/IMG]

There is also selaginella kraussiana brownii, selaginella kraussiana golden, Bolbitis heteroclita, Pleopeltis percussa and Pellaea rotundifolia. I am going to add Nepenthes ampullaria when I can get my hands on a good specimen. I also added moss spores I got a while ago not sure what kind of moss.

This is what it looked like all planted.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also added the misting nozzles.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ideally you would have the nozzles at the front of the tank facing the back. I couldn't do this due to the design of the tank and having to push the slanted lid to open the tank. Although it isn't the best placement I am able to get good coverage when misting. I will get a video of the misting and put it up shortly.

I also added giant orange and powder blue isopods and tropical pink springtails.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Still wainting on my new pump and stuff for the durso. Not too much I can do until then.

post #56 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My pump went out today on a tank.... I had to lower the water level- just to catch all the fish...
I couldnt help but think, dang- this thing is sexy even without water but your isopods takes the cake!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #57 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

Nice, the planting looks awesome! Can't wait to see it fill in.
post #58 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
My pump went out today on a tank.... I had to lower the water level- just to catch all the fish...
I couldnt help but think, dang- this thing is sexy even without water but your isopods takes the cake!
Yeah it's frustrating for sure. Isopods rock!
livebearerlove likes this.

post #59 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredford View Post
Nice, the planting looks awesome! Can't wait to see it fill in.
Thanks! Yeah that is always the fun part.

post #60 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@thedudeabides

Recently in the wetlands by my home- I found hundreds of water mites- Bright red, adorable...... I palmed a couple to get a proper ID. Water Mite - Hydrachna. Those little swimming bright red dots were so much fun to watch as they were larger than normal.... I feel a new tank coming on....

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Tags
paludarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode