So I am still at a stand still with drilling the hole in the glass but decided I would test my sump / plumbing design and also see if the pump I selected would work for this application. The thing that makes the selection of the pump difficult is that I needed to have a pump strong enough to clear the 5'+ head but also not too strong for such a small volume of water. I was pretty nervous it wouldn't work out. The pump I am using is a danner 350. I was trying to keep it as simple as possible since this is my first dive into sumps and diy plumbing.
Anyway here is a picture of the sump. I has 3 chambers divided by poret foam. The first is where water returns then it goes through 10ppl foam to the main chamber, this will possibly be for quarantine or raising shrimp and scuds or maybe just for additional filter media (or both). Next water passes through 20ppl foam and to where the pump is located.
The idea for the plumbing was basically hashed out through this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...questions.html
as well as one on dendroboard. The idea is to be able to control the flow through 2 valves going off a tee. One goes back into the sump the other powers the waterfall in the main tank.
I ended the section of plumbing that goes directly back into the sump to end in a tee and then embedded that into the poret foam. The idea is that it will act as a makeshift wet/dry filter.
Here are pictures of the valve on the line that goes to the waterfall.
I turned on the pump and........it couldn't have gone any better! I had a respectable flow but nothing too crazy coming out with both valves completely open. This means I could probably went with a smaller pump but oh well. If it is too much flow I can adjust it with the valve going to the waterfall but this will cause the pump to operate with some back pressure (which I have been told is not a big deal).
I chose to go with reinforced vinyl as my tubing for increased flexibility and also with it being in general easier to work with. I used this tool to cut the tubing and it went through it like butter.
Setting this up has gotten me really excited to get this project moving. Hopefully I can get some free time and a nice enough day to do the drilling this weekend. Although if this phase made me this nervous I can't imagine what drilling into the glass will do. Not to mention once I have and seeing if the bulkhead is large enough. If anyone has any insight as far as the plumbing for this system I would be interested to hear it.