65 gallon Iwagumi style Paludarium for vampire crabs. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not too much to update since it's been too cold around here to drill the tank. Got the last of my supplies needed but now am thinking of doing an auto top off as well. Went to a local green house and had a couple cool finds.

This is selaginella kraussiana brownii a clubmoss that only gets 1-2" high. Hopefully they will have more in stock as this was the only pot.

This pitcher plant is Nepenthes ventrata I might just put this in the room to catch fruit flies and find Nepenthes ampullaria as it stays smaller and is good for terrariums. Then again this will probably be slow enough growing that I may use it. Geosesarma are known to hang out in pitcher plants and eat the bugs that fall in, I am going for trying to recreate that in the terrarium.
KZB likes this.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:01 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just joined this forum. My wife and I are about to take on a DIY paludarium. Got a used 125 gallon tank and hope to learn enough to avoid some major problems. Just reading your thread has been very educational. Looking forward to following you along. Any suggestions of where I should look for info would be appreciated. At this point we know very little so please bear with us if we ask what might be a silly question.
thedudeabides likes this.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmoore View Post
Just joined this forum. My wife and I are about to take on a DIY paludarium. Got a used 125 gallon tank and hope to learn enough to avoid some major problems. Just reading your thread has been very educational. Looking forward to following you along. Any suggestions of where I should look for info would be appreciated. At this point we know very little so please bear with us if we ask what might be a silly question.
Thanks! A 125 paludarium will look awesome. As far as info dendroboard has some tank journals of paludariums that I found helpful as they are quite detailed. There's always youtube. Also looking for inspiration the annual AGA contest has a paludarium category that many times will have the aquascaping materials and plants they used laid out. It's pretty cool to see how the paludarium has evolved throughout the years.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I am still at a stand still with drilling the hole in the glass but decided I would test my sump / plumbing design and also see if the pump I selected would work for this application. The thing that makes the selection of the pump difficult is that I needed to have a pump strong enough to clear the 5'+ head but also not too strong for such a small volume of water. I was pretty nervous it wouldn't work out. The pump I am using is a danner 350. I was trying to keep it as simple as possible since this is my first dive into sumps and diy plumbing.

Anyway here is a picture of the sump. I has 3 chambers divided by poret foam. The first is where water returns then it goes through 10ppl foam to the main chamber, this will possibly be for quarantine or raising shrimp and scuds or maybe just for additional filter media (or both). Next water passes through 20ppl foam and to where the pump is located.

The idea for the plumbing was basically hashed out through this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...questions.html as well as one on dendroboard. The idea is to be able to control the flow through 2 valves going off a tee. One goes back into the sump the other powers the waterfall in the main tank.

I ended the section of plumbing that goes directly back into the sump to end in a tee and then embedded that into the poret foam. The idea is that it will act as a makeshift wet/dry filter.

Here are pictures of the valve on the line that goes to the waterfall.

I turned on the pump and........it couldn't have gone any better! I had a respectable flow but nothing too crazy coming out with both valves completely open. This means I could probably went with a smaller pump but oh well. If it is too much flow I can adjust it with the valve going to the waterfall but this will cause the pump to operate with some back pressure (which I have been told is not a big deal).

I chose to go with reinforced vinyl as my tubing for increased flexibility and also with it being in general easier to work with. I used this tool to cut the tubing and it went through it like butter.

Setting this up has gotten me really excited to get this project moving. Hopefully I can get some free time and a nice enough day to do the drilling this weekend. Although if this phase made me this nervous I can't imagine what drilling into the glass will do. Not to mention once I have and seeing if the bulkhead is large enough. If anyone has any insight as far as the plumbing for this system I would be interested to hear it.

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I finally took the plunge and drilled my tank! I have wanted to do this for a very long time but was always hesitant thinking I may crack the glass.

I had a unseasonably warm day and had the wife help me move it outside. I figured with it being my first time I would use a guide. It helped for the initial grinding but I would probably only use it at the very start of the drilling in the future.

Here is the diamond tipped drill bit I used.

I ran water from a hose over the hole continuously to cool the bit which helps reduce the risk of cracking.

This picture shows the tiny shards of glass created by grinding the hole.

The drilling didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. I wish I went slower because as you can see I had significant chip out.

As said I wish I went slower and maybe practiced on another tank first. The glass on the back is painted black so I was having trouble seeing how far down I was. I also read that drilling from the opposite side when almost all the way through will help but with the shape of the tank this was not an option. Also the glass on this tank is pretty thick so not sure if that played a role in the chip out. I was told that even with as much chipping as there is I should be fine if I seal the bulkhead with silicone.

Although not the most pretty hole in the world I still can say I have a hole in my tank and no cracked glass so all and all a good day.
AguaScape likes this.

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been thinking of the stocking of the water portion of this tank. I want to do micro fish. The tank itself will hold around 22 gallons and the sump an additional 7. I know that with the smaller fish you can get away with a little more than the old 1" per gallon rule. I was thinking something like this:

24 x Microrasbora kubotai (Microrasbora kubotai)
8 x Clown Killifish (Pseudepiplatys annulatus)
6 x Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)
3 x Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila)
10 x Tiger Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis sp. Tiger)

I am pretty set on all the fish but could do another microfish if I can't find microrasbora. I also might add more of them If I can get away with it. I went to aqadvisor and it says my stocking is at 44% (and that is not with the additional volume from the sump) this seems quite low to me but perhaps that is because I am dealing with such small fish. There are some fish on my maybe list and I also have considered adding a second school of microfish. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

As far as the land section I am going with vampire crabs again. I will probably go with 8 Geosesarma hagen. I had Geosesarma dennerle in the old tank but they hid a lot and I hear the hagen are more bold.

Last edited by thedudeabides; 03-06-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: guil
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just did a title change, hopefully it will garner a little more attention so I don't feel like I'm talking to a brick wall ha ha.

post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:54 PM
Algae Grower

Those vampire crabs look really cool! I have been playing around with the idea of putting together a crabitat....hmmm
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWonkyMcJankeypants View Post
Those vampire crabs look really cool! I have been playing around with the idea of putting together a crabitat....hmmm
Do it! Do it! Do it!

Bump:
Quote:
Do it! Do it! Do it!

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not going to get any work done for a while

livebearerlove and tredford like this.

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

I love my tanks, but puppies will always trump fish!!!
thedudeabides likes this.

Last edited by LadyWonkyMcJankeypants; 03-04-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: link
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

I love my tanks, but puppies will always trump fish!!!
Yeah honestly I think I blocked from my memory how hard the first few weeks with a puppy are. Throw a 4 year old into the equation and I'm ready to pull my hair out.

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Slowly getting some things done. Had a petco giftcard and a 20% off coupon that was expiring so I bought some aquatic plants. Here is what I have so far:

Hemianthus callitrichoides Dwarf baby tears
Utricularia graminifolia
Bolbitis heteroclita X 3
Riccia fluitans
Bucephalandra sp. "Green" X 5

These will be in both aquatic and emersed areas of the tank. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the quality of the plants.

I am going to order a few more aquatic plants probably from buceplant (anyone have any experience?) I am planning on getting some:

hygrophila pinnatifida
Mini Xmas Moss
Fissidens fontanus
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
Cryptocoryne parva
Possibly Bucephalandra[censored]Mini Coin

I am still going to get a Nepenthes ampullaria, the particular morph (lime twist) I want I can only find a large plant of and it comes with a large $130 pricetag. I don't think I will do it since this is my first attempt at growing Nepenthes in a terrarium and I find mixed reviews on how that'll go. I will probably go with a cheaper morph of Nepenthes ampullaria but then again I made a little hobby money selling isopods and springtails so it might soften the blow if I can rationalize that yes I just spent $130 on a plant but I made that money selling bugs lol.

I have also started cutting out the skeleton/false bottom out of eggcrate. Pictures to follow.

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:41 PM
Algae Grower

I've only ordered from buceplant once and it was recent but so far I'm satisfied with the quality of what I got (crypts and flame moss). The only thing I noticed though is that they are often out of stock of the particular items I want so that's why it took me so long to actually order from them. I also purchased a few things from Aquarium Plants Factory and they'll occasionally have sales and specials. What I got was good quality, but I've been dealing with melt issues (java ferns, anubias from multiple sources, and buce) but everything is starting to bounce back now that I've been dosing ThriveC.

I would personally start with a cheaper plant and see how it goes. I'm not really a gambler though, but I'm also a little hesitant to spend much on individual plants these days because I've had enough $10 plants (both aquarium and house) die on me.

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I've only ordered from buceplant once and it was recent but so far I'm satisfied with the quality of what I got (crypts and flame moss). The only thing I noticed though is that they are often out of stock of the particular items I want so that's why it took me so long to actually order from them. I also purchased a few things from Aquarium Plants Factory and they'll occasionally have sales and specials. What I got was good quality, but I've been dealing with melt issues (java ferns, anubias from multiple sources, and buce) but everything is starting to bounce back now that I've been dosing ThriveC.

I would personally start with a cheaper plant and see how it goes. I'm not really a gambler though, but I'm also a little hesitant to spend much on individual plants these days because I've had enough $10 plants (both aquarium and house) die on me.
Yeah looked into APF but they didn't have that great a selection of moss. Buce has all of what I need right now so I am going with them. I will probably go with a smaller cheaper plant. Although it's tempting, maybe next time.

Tags
paludarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode