• 1 Post By Kaiede
  • 2 Post By Kaiede
  • 1 Post By Kaiede

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The "Great" Rimless Upgrades

I'm starting to get close to starting on my rimless tank upgrades. Most of the equipment is here, except the stand for the 60U is still about a month out, and the the 90P tank itself was just ordered. I think I started cobbling this stuff together back in July. I'll be lucky if it's all done in time for Christmas.

Equipment (Similar for Both):
  • Eheim Pro 4 Filter (60U taking over the one on the 23g, 23g/90P getting a 350)
  • Hydor Inline Heater
  • Poppy Outflow + Standard Inflow (Jardli)
  • 2-Piece Glass Lid (ADA's 90P Lid Style)

I'm putting film on the back of each tank to darken it. Like the Nuvo Black line, I'm not going for completely opaque, but instead using 95% opaque film that create a slight transluent effect. The 60U looks quite good with it, and I expect the 90P will too.

In the 60U, I'm going for a sort of "middle of the forest" look. Controsoil as the substrate, with cut thick branches (sold as tree "stumps") forming the "trunks" of the trees, and spider wood "roots". Buce and Moss can help complete the illusion. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to have any rock in the hardscape. I have some available, but none if it really seems to fit.

UNS60U Flora and Fauna:
  • Moss, Buce, Anubia Nana & Nana Petite, Water Sprite, Swords/Crypts? + Others
  • Chili Rasboras
  • Celestial Pearl Danios
  • Volans (Crowntail Delta Betta)

For the 90P, I'm looking to create a sort of "by the beach" look using Buceplant's "Natural Sand" and Peace River to create contrast, with black smooth river stone and manzanita wood forming the hardscape. The left side of the tank will form the beach with a stack of river stone or two helping break up the space. River stone will form the boundary between the left and right side of the tanks. The right side is where the wood will be "rooted", but will spread towards the left side of the tank.

UNS90P Flora and Fauna:
  • Val, Pennywort, Bacopa, Anubias Golden Coin + Others
  • Green Neon Tetras
  • Corydoras julii or Corydoras venezuelanus
  • Zero Two (Koi Plakat Betta)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00087.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	870155  

swarley likes this.

Last edited by Kaiede; 10-29-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Tweaked title for less seriousness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

In an ironic twist, I got the 90P tank delivered before the stand for the 60U appeared. So I can start prepping for that. On the to-do list:
  • Leak Test the Tank
  • Apply the Film Back
  • Get the New Stand in Place w/Tank
  • Add Hardscape, Transfer Plants

The tank the 90P is replacing got overtaken with Pennywort over the last month. It'll be good to trim it back and keep the best trimmings for the new tank.

As a question though, does anyone have any good tips for leak testing something as big as the 90P? I'm planning on filling it up about 25% at a time over 4 days, but I'm curious about the pallet it came on. I'm wondering if I can do the leak test in-place after getting the styrofoam blocks out of the way so it is resting on the leveling mat, or if I should move the tank stand into the garage and get the tank moved up onto it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After enough work to make me sore all over, the 90P is up and running. Pretty happy with how the scape itself turned out. I do need to finish planting it, and tie down the Anubias Iím trying to root onto the driftwood. I also have a rather healthy Hastifolia that Iím trying to decide what to do with. Itíd be nice to migrate it, but not sure where yet. Overall, not perfect, but good enough. Iím also really liking the extra 5-6Ē of space from front to back compared to the previous tank, makes it so much easier to build the scape.

The previous tank was getting a bit overgrown with Pennywort. I kept some trimmings, but still wound up culling more than half of what was in the tank. Iím still trying to identify a couple plants to make sure they are the ones I want to keep, so the tank is a little sparse for the moment. Val and Crypt Spiralis probably shouldnít both be in the tank, for example, and I think the Spiralis was sending runners that also look a lot like Dwarf Sag.

Also wondering if maybe I should root some moss on the driftwood and maybe use some of the Buce I was planning on using in the 60U.

I also noticed the bow in the tank. I forgot the rimless tanks did this, but it was visible with the mesh lid in place. Measured at 1 mm total bow (45.1 cm vs 45 cm empty). Seems fine for this size tank, with 10 mm walls. It just is a bit unnerving to see the curve of the glass like this when you are used to rimmed tanks.

Also glad I ran across the vinyl back for this. The 5% transparency looks pretty black in most cases, and it was fairly cheap for the 2x3í cut I needed. I personally like the little bit of transparency but i can see how some might not.

Also including a shot of the old tank as it was a couple months ago, before the pennywort took over.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	871601  

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	871603  

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	871605  

iadubber likes this.

Last edited by Kaiede; 10-29-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixing Image Rotations

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think the hardscape for the 60U is about ready for the first round of planting and flooding.

The 90P has been doing well, beyond a bit of a snail explosion which should get back under control in the next couple months and cleaning up of the mulm shed by the driftwood.
Thelongsnail and tredford like this.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Looking good - I respect the effort that went into the planning stage.
I'm a bit jealous of the stand, mind telling where / how you got it?
Keep it up!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Looking good - I respect the effort that went into the planning stage.

I'm a bit jealous of the stand, mind telling where / how you got it?

Keep it up!

The stand was custom built by a carpenter near Portland that makes stands for a local pet store in my area. About the only way to get a stand perfectly sized to the 60U. This is the second stand Iíve gotten from them. The previous one held the 23g and is sized for a 29 or 20 long.

Not sure if it is possible to get a hold of one of these in California. Redding is about twice the distance from Portland compared to Seattle, and they seem to work with stores directly. I will say the stands are made from plywood (this one is made from walnut plywood, which is somewhat rare to see), with the back/base panels being particle board. Earlier stands from them didnít properly seal the cutouts in the back panel for cords/etc to avoid water damage, but now they do, which Iím glad to see.

The look is definitely more premium than the ďAquacosmĒ ADA clones, but I am somewhat impressed at the quality of construction of the ADA clone my 90P is on. I almost went with the 60D stand instead for this tank because of it. I would have saved money, if I had.
OVT likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, crud. Today I notice that in addition to the snails, I have at least one planaria worm in the 90P. I know it's not detritus, I've had those and usually ignore it if I see it, and those will go away as the tank matures naturally.

Since I don't really have any shrimp, and only have common snails in the tank, I'm tempted to medicate to knock this out before the planaria population gets out of hand. Especially since it seems like they will prey on the snails, and the population explosion from the mulm just means a lot more food for these things.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Flooded the 60U yesterday in prep to move some plants over, but once filled, I noticed something about the floor the stand is on: it carries vibrations really easily (older house). Enough that it can get some sub-surface water motion going by walking near the tank. Since the tank is going to be mostly timid fish, I donít think the fish will handle it all that well. Iím going to have to put the tank where the old one currently is which is a lot more stable.

Thatís a bummer. This new position works better for multiple reasons, but I donít think I can get away with spooking the fish every time we walk through the living room.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
very nice stuff! I especially like the mesh screen that you used on the 90P and the 5% transparency vinyl.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
very nice stuff! I especially like the mesh screen that you used on the 90P and the 5% transparency vinyl.

I took the idea of the mesh from someone elseís 90P journal on this forum. I plan to redo the frame to close the gaps, if it turns out that Zero Two is a jumper.

The vinyl was sheer luck. I saw it at TAP Plastics while getting something else, and realized it would be perfect, and cheap. It was about 10$ for both tanks.

Hopefully this next weekend Iíll get some update shots on the two tanks. I would have yesterday, but I was worn out from moving the 60U to where the old tank is.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sad to say that Iíve been less active, especially since a windstorm that hit back in January that knocked out power for about 8 hours. Had backup power for the filter so it was running the whole time, but not the heater. Lost one of the green neons and Zero Two (the Betta) in the days that followed, but everyone else is doing well. Havenít had much energy to do a whole lot with the tanks beyond keeping it rolling and preventing things from getting out of hand since then.

Iím getting back to the point where I want to ďfinishĒ the tanks (they are both lightly stocked), but Iím realizing thereís not really much I want to do that requires two tanks. Iíve been tempted to maybe just look at bringing the fish that are in the two together into the 90p instead of getting another showpiece. And just enjoy what I have, because itís pretty nice.

That would make the stocking in the 90p:
- Volans (Betta)
- Chili Rasboras (10x)
- Green Neons (23x)
- Sterbai Cories (10x)

Volans already has made it clear the only thing he hates are the snails, and is less aggressive than Zero Two was. So Iím not worried about aggression since Iíve had Volans for over a year now, and he does well in either tank. I could probably boost the numbers of Chilis after (or during) the move and let them and Volans hang out in the floating pennywort until the Bacopa grows in more. Add a couple more Cories and itís probably at about max stocking.

I just need to make sure this is what I want to do, and that the Neons and Rasboras will get along, I think.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So, today is day 2 of an experiment slightly different than I was originally thinking of doing. I moved the Chili Rasboras and CPDs from the smaller tank into the bigger one. Wasn't entirely sure the CPDs and Neons would get along, but figured I could at least give it a shot, and leave the empty tank running for a week or two just in case I need to fish out the CPDs.

I also got a surprise in the form of a single fry that managed to get big enough off the frozen Daphnia I've been feeding that it can start eating some of the smaller flake/pellet foods I have. Not 100% sure, but I think it's a CPD fry. The last couple days it has been hanging out with the Chili Rasboras, using them for protection. And so far, Volans is leaving it alone, which I'm surprised at. It's a bit risky, but I'm really curious how well it does without support at this point.

After a couple days, the Neons and CPDs seem to not mind each other's company. The CPDs harass each other a bit like they have done, but the Neons and CPDs leave each other alone for the most part. The Rasboras stay near the top in the floating plants, and are more bold than they have been in months, and add some needed extra color I think. The Neons do tend to make sure the Chilis give them space and stay near the top, but after the first half hour, things calmed down and the Chilis are being "allowed" to explore deeper into the tank. I'm actually a little surprised how quickly things seem to have settled down.

And a photo before I start the snail population control. It's gotten pretty nuts from a bit of overfeeding to try to keep the Cories fed well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kmr9TmaLSuOyu5QuxWoLzw.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	878893  

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The screen is a nice, cheap, easy method for keeping jumpers in. I have had a big Midas Blenny find his way through the 1/2 in mesh screen though. 3 times... Sucks about the power going out. It's a constant fear with my reef tank to the point where I'm seriously considering a generator.

I must ask about the origin of you avatar.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
The screen is a nice, cheap, easy method for keeping jumpers in. I have had a big Midas Blenny find his way through the 1/2 in mesh screen though. 3 times... Sucks about the power going out. It's a constant fear with my reef tank to the point where I'm seriously considering a generator.
I'm going to swap it out for glass soon. The mesh allows too much evaporation during winter, while the glass should cut it in half or so. Zero Two was also the fish that was the jump risk, so I might be able to run it without the lid during the summer.

The worst part is that we had power outages the year before. I bought UPS backups after that. The UPS can run the canister for 3 hours before I need to hook the canisters up to a larger battery I have for camping that I can recharge with solar panels. Keeping the heaters running is the big problem, so they don't run when the battery kicks in. I think the existing issue I was trying to treat got a stronger foothold with the temperature shock, leading to the organ failure about a week later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I must ask about the origin of you avatar.
Persona 5

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiede View Post
I knew that character design looked familiar! I don't know the character yet, though, as I'm only about 15 hours into the game. It's been very fun to this point.

Last edited by TheUnseenHand; 03-12-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: double post

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode