I've kept a couple Bettas in 5g tanks for several years, but this is my first big tank.
I bought a 55g used on Kijiji and ended up needing to reseal it (ugh). Built a custom stand myself. Now we are finally up and running.
I have a dirted substrate with PFS overtop, a bunch of maple and oak branches I collected from a local park and a bunch of different plants:
-Java moss (for carpet), weeping moss (on the driftwood), and Taiwan moss (attempted to make a wall on plastic fruit baskets but it's not working)
-dwarf sag (but this pretty much all died for some reason)
-red crypt wendtii (also all dead)
-eliocharis Montevidensis and parvula
It's intended to be a Walstad tank, although I'm dosing with Excel and thrive.
Here is a photo from day 3, which was September 16. I have a tidal 75 hob filter on there which meant the hoods that came with the aquarium didn't fit. The second photo is from Sept. 24 (day 11), by which point I've replaced the hoods with a lifeguard 48" led strip. I will build a canopy to mount this over the aquarium properly as soon as I have time.
I added a bunch of MTS around week 2 and they are thriving, along with some ramhorn hitchhikers that must've come in with the MTS or plants. I added 10 snowball shrimp a few days ago since my ammonia and nitrites were 0, but they all got into my filter and died there. I had a sponge over the intake and everything! There was another hole I didn't see but the shrimp found it. :*(