For those that have followed my 75g Dutch Weed Farm
journal, you've probably seen me mention this rimless tank a few times. Its been exactly 11 months since I purchased this tank, it was never my intentions or plan to wait as long as I did to get it set up. But life got in the way and I kept putting off purchasing the last few items needed to get it up and running.
One major difference between this setup and every other tank I've setup is, I decided to go with an inert substrate. My original plan was again to use AS, but as I got closer to actually setting up the tank I started to waffle on my decision. Don't get me wrong, I like AS but I hate the mess and as it gets older it only gets worse. With all that said, I made the finally decision and went with BDBS for this build.
I started bright and early Saturday morning, first order of business was the black vinyl background. I went with a product from Vivid Vinyls, this stuff is actually used to wrap cars. The best part about this product is, it is super easy to remove any air bubbles trapped under it since it has micro channels which allows the air to be pressed out without much effort,
The vinyl all installed! All and all it probably took about half hour to complete, this includes spending a good amount of time making sure the glass is squeaky clean.
Next I placed a 1/4" of BDBS in the bottom of the tank and added some O+, then added another 2.5" on top of that.
It was finally time to added some water, I had it about 1/3 full when I noticed something I didn't like at all. For those that have not had a rimless tank before, you need use a foam mat or something of the sorts under the tank. The mat relieves any pressure points that can eventually cause the tank to fail, be it a crack or a seal that lets go. What you are looking at below is the left side glass panel not sitting on the foam at all. So with that, out came all the water and all the sub went back into buckets. Which pissed me off because I had the O+ balls perfectly set below about 2.5" of substrate. I'm hoping that them being scattered throughout the entire depth of the sub will not cause me issues in the long run. I figure if I just push them down to the bottom when ever I see one pop up, will keep things in check. Its always something!
120cm x 50cm x 50cm (48" x 20" x 20") AquaFire Rimless tank. ~83gal
Aquatop CF500uv canister filter
SunSun 304B Filter (not installed yet)
DYI 3" x 28" reactor
Pressurized Co2. On an hour and a half before lights on and off an hour before lights out. My pH drop is about 1.4 before the light come on a drops a further .2 an hour into the photoperiod for a 1.6pH drop.
Under the cabinet still needs to be organized.
Four bulb T5HO horticultural fixture
Bulbs from left to right,
Actinic 420 (blue)
PowerVeg 633 (red)
Current Macro dosing is 25N-7P-30K weekly. I front loaded half the weeks total right after I added the plants and will do the second and third dose Tuesday and Thursday.
Micros are roll my own dosed 4 times a week.
So far I am loving BDBS. For those that have never planted in this stuff it is night and day compared to AS. Plus the fact that you can move things around all day long and not have to worry about creating a dust storm.
I'm super excited about this whole setup and I look forward to a new learning experience using inert substrate. Aquasoil can easily hide your dosing errors, or at least delay the the issues, not so much with an inert sub. Thanks for following along.
Final money shot!