Rimless Dutchy - The Planted Tank Forum
 276Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rimless Dutchy

For those that have followed my 75g Dutch Weed Farm journal, you've probably seen me mention this rimless tank a few times. Its been exactly 11 months since I purchased this tank, it was never my intentions or plan to wait as long as I did to get it set up. But life got in the way and I kept putting off purchasing the last few items needed to get it up and running.

One major difference between this setup and every other tank I've setup is, I decided to go with an inert substrate. My original plan was again to use AS, but as I got closer to actually setting up the tank I started to waffle on my decision. Don't get me wrong, I like AS but I hate the mess and as it gets older it only gets worse. With all that said, I made the finally decision and went with BDBS for this build.

I started bright and early Saturday morning, first order of business was the black vinyl background. I went with a product from Vivid Vinyls, this stuff is actually used to wrap cars. The best part about this product is, it is super easy to remove any air bubbles trapped under it since it has micro channels which allows the air to be pressed out without much effort,

The vinyl all installed! All and all it probably took about half hour to complete, this includes spending a good amount of time making sure the glass is squeaky clean.

Next I placed a 1/4" of BDBS in the bottom of the tank and added some O+, then added another 2.5" on top of that.

It was finally time to added some water, I had it about 1/3 full when I noticed something I didn't like at all. For those that have not had a rimless tank before, you need use a foam mat or something of the sorts under the tank. The mat relieves any pressure points that can eventually cause the tank to fail, be it a crack or a seal that lets go. What you are looking at below is the left side glass panel not sitting on the foam at all. So with that, out came all the water and all the sub went back into buckets. Which pissed me off because I had the O+ balls perfectly set below about 2.5" of substrate. I'm hoping that them being scattered throughout the entire depth of the sub will not cause me issues in the long run. I figure if I just push them down to the bottom when ever I see one pop up, will keep things in check. Its always something!

Equipment
120cm x 50cm x 50cm (48" x 20" x 20") AquaFire Rimless tank. ~83gal
Aquatop CF500uv canister filter
SunSun 304B Filter (not installed yet)
DYI 3" x 28" reactor
Pressurized Co2. On an hour and a half before lights on and off an hour before lights out. My pH drop is about 1.4 before the light come on a drops a further .2 an hour into the photoperiod for a 1.6pH drop.

Under the cabinet still needs to be organized.

Lighting
Four bulb T5HO horticultural fixture
Bulbs from left to right,
Actinic 420 (blue)
PowerVeg 633 (red)
2700K (yellow)

Current Macro dosing is 25N-7P-30K weekly. I front loaded half the weeks total right after I added the plants and will do the second and third dose Tuesday and Thursday.

Micros are roll my own dosed 4 times a week.
Fe .2ppm
Mn .05ppm
B .073ppm
Zn .05ppm
Mo .00175ppm
Cu .001ppm
Ni .0005ppm

So far I am loving BDBS. For those that have never planted in this stuff it is night and day compared to AS. Plus the fact that you can move things around all day long and not have to worry about creating a dust storm.

I'm super excited about this whole setup and I look forward to a new learning experience using inert substrate. Aquasoil can easily hide your dosing errors, or at least delay the the issues, not so much with an inert sub. Thanks for following along.

Final money shot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Its about time you got this bad boy up and running! Looking sweet already
Greggz and slipfinger like this.

post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Holy Smokes it's finally here.

And it looks like it was worth the wait. Great looking tank.

As usual, plants look healthy and well presented.

And glad to see you went with BDBS. Now I can pick your brain more on dosing.

Any idea of the PAR at the substrate??
hbosman and slipfinger like this.

---
---

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awsome start to a tank, I'm sure I will be begging for some of your trimmings soon enough. Love the bulb combo too, always wondered what an actinic would bring to a planted tank.
slipfinger likes this.

post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's one heck of a Frankenstein'd regulator! What's your bps look like? A tornado stream?

And are you happy with the reactor? No bubbles in the tank? Doesn't make much noise?

Anything other than plants in there?

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking great! Excited to follow along on this one!

|

post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yet another nail in my "buy a rimless tank already" coffin.

Looks great!
Greggz likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Its about time you got this bad boy up and running! Looking sweet already
Tell me about it.... Also thanks for taking the time to chat and answering all my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Holy Smokes it's finally here.

And it looks like it was worth the wait. Great looking tank.

As usual, plants look healthy and well presented.

And glad to see you went with BDBS. Now I can pick your brain more on dosing.

Any idea of the PAR at the substrate??
Thanks Greggz. Who are you kidding, I'll be picking your brain!

I will be getting my hands on MCFC's seneye PAR meter, I'll post some numbers for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
Awsome start to a tank, I'm sure I will be begging for some of your trimmings soon enough. Love the bulb combo too, always wondered what an actinic would bring to a planted tank.
Speaking of awsome, your current build is pretty spectacular! Anything you see in my tanks you are interested in let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
That's one heck of a Frankenstein'd regulator! What's your bps look like? A tornado stream?

And are you happy with the reactor? No bubbles in the tank? Doesn't make much noise?

Anything other than plants in there?
bps, what the hell is that? :-)

I still have some fiddling to do. The Co2 for the 75 comes on an hour and half before lights on and I normally get around a 1 to 1.2 drop before the lights turn on. Yesterday I had a peek at the pH monitor on the new tank and I was down a full 1.7 drop in 45 minutes. I'd say I am happy with that!

Not a single bubble at all. I have a gate valve on the outflow of the reactor (can't see it in the picture) which I close about 1/3rd of the way. My understanding, it's suppose to create just enough back pressure to help dissolve the Co2 into the water.

As for noise, there is a very slight gurgling sound, which I can only hear when the cabinet panels are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Looking great! Excited to follow along on this one!
Thanks and glad you'll be following along.
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
bps, what the hell is that? :-)

I still have some fiddling to do. The Co2 for the 75 comes on an hour and half before lights on and I normally get around a 1 to 1.2 drop before the lights turn on. Yesterday I had a peek at the pH monitor on the new tank and I was down a full 1.7 drop in 45 minutes. I'd say I am happy with that!
I would ask what you have your flow meter set to, but I don't think that'd get me very far either...

How do you dial in your CO2? Get a rough visual with the bubble counter and then use the pH monitor to fine tune it?

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I would ask what you have your flow meter set to, but I don't think that'd get me very far either...

How do you dial in your CO2? Get a rough visual with the bubble counter and then use the pH monitor to fine tune it?
Nothing too scientific..... No flow meter. I'd like to get one at some point.

I am not a fish keeper. Which makes things super easy when messing with Co2

I strictly go by pH drop, I aim for a minimum of 1 full point drop in pH. Currently the drop on this tank is 1.7. I don't think any tank needs that much of a drop and a waste of Co2. I will dial that back until I reach about a 1.2/1.3 point drop and start watching the tank for any sizes of lack of Co2. I run my 75 on 1.2 drop and have never seen issues because of lack of Co2.

Bubble counter is just there for a quick visual to make sure Co2 is on. To be honest the counter is usually empty anyways.
Greggz and MCFC like this.

post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cloudy water today, I think I'm dealing with little new tank syndrome. So, I fired up the new SunSun with a bag of seeded media from one of my filters running on the weed farm. Probably should have done this in the first place.

Hygrophila corymbosa ‘dwarf’ is quickly turning red, I'm thinking its the stronger lighting compared to the lower lighting in the 40gal grow tank these came out of. When I added it to the tank on Saturday it was completely green.

Anyone have any other guesses?

This was taken yesterday at 4:30pm

Today at 4:30pm
Greggz and MCFC like this.

post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Hygrophila corymbosa Ďdwarfí is quickly turning red, I'm thinking its the stronger lighting compared to the lower lighting in the 40gal grow tank these came out of. When I added it to the tank on Saturday it was completely green.

Anyone have any other guesses?
I think you are right it's the light.

I just put two higher PAR bulbs covering the front of my tank, and mine are doing the same.

---
---
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rimless Dutchy

Quote:
Nothing too scientific..... No flow meter. I'd like to get one at some point.
I canít seem to keep water out of mine, but when it works itís nice to have

Quote:
I am not a fish keeper. Which makes things super easy when messing with Co2

No livestock at all? No cleanup crew? Is it going to stay that way?

What kind of iron do you use in your micro mix?

Where did you get your powerveg lamp? And do you mind saying how much it cost?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions! Youíre one of the first Canadians Iíve found with a similar high-tech Dutch lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I canít seem to keep water out of mine, but when it works itís nice to have

No livestock at all? No cleanup crew? Is it going to stay that way?

What kind of iron do you use in your micro mix?

Where did you get your powerveg lamp? And do you mind saying how much it cost?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions! Youíre one of the first Canadians Iíve found with a similar high-tech Dutch lean

No live stock other then pest snails that came in on the plants from my farm tank. No plans for fish at this point. I have cherry shrimp in all my other tanks and i'll probably throw some in this tank once its cycled. TBH I've never needed a clean-up crew, I'm the clean-up crew!

11% dtpa Fe. I mix my own micros, I just got a new batch of dry micros from @burr740.

I order the PowerVeg lamps through my local hydroponics shop (Homegrown Hydroponics), they are not cheap, $49.99. You being in BC should be able to get these things on every street corner!

Ask as many questions as you want, we're all here to learn a little and hopefully help a little.
Greggz, burr740 and MCFC like this.

post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did you get that 11% fe from Joe or do you get it locally? I can only find 7% fe here and I think thereís something funky with it.

What kind of container do you store your solution (solutions? Do you mix one for npk too?) in? And how do you do the actual dosing? Iím trying to find a better system than my current one

Iím in the middle of nowhere BC, so must stuff has a decent shipping tax added to it

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode