A Tutch of Dutch in 120G - The Planted Tank Forum
 297Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Tutch of Dutch in 120G

My previous journal: 72 Dutchy Gallons

Started with a 55 gal, upgraded to a 72 gal bowfront. Now I'm moving on to a 120 gal

Last edited by MCFC; 11-05-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:16 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice! And a bit jealous. Guessing that tank size is the same as GreggZ's tank? What are you using for a light? Kinda looks like there is 5 bulbs but I am pretty sure thats not right.
MCFC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Very nice! And a bit jealous. Guessing that tank size is the same as GreggZ's tank? What are you using for a light? Kinda looks like there is 5 bulbs but I am pretty sure thats not right.

Thanks!

Itís 4íx2í. Iím pretty sure @Greggz has a 5í 120 gal.

I have 6 individual 4í Sunblaster T5HO fixtures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz and burr740 like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)

post #4 of 135 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ah yes, Gregg's is a 5' long tank that is 18" front to back. So, yours is 24" front to back - nice!

Interesting thing with the 6 individual lights - you "could" have 6 separate timers and really play around with various lighting levels. Should be a fun build to follow along on.
Greggz and MCFC like this.

post #5 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Interesting thing with the 6 individual lights - you "could" have 6 separate timers and really play around with various lighting levels. Should be a fun build to follow along on.
I'm currently using 3 timers and running my lights in banks of 2. We'll see if that changes
Immortal1 likes this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)

Last edited by MCFC; 10-09-2018 at 05:58 AM. Reason: .
post #6 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Algae Grower

Nice start!
You could have all bulbs on but with different colours, so you will not be high in par and have perfect colours.
MCFC likes this.

Last edited by AgMa; 10-09-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Edit
post #7 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have the same bulbs, and the same tank. They are really a good bang for the buck. I've used them for a little over four years now, and I love the flexibility of individual bulbs.
MCFC likes this.
post #8 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Love the new tank! And those Sunblasters are cool fixtures. Lot's of combinations you can come up with there.

I've got a feeling this one is going to be good! Expecting great things in that set up.

Looking forward to following along.

Subscribed!
MCFC likes this.

---
---
post #9 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick update:

Oto Army!

Some pink crypt starting to like life

My ode to @slipfinger

I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!!
Greggz, rzn7z7, burr740 and 1 others like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #10 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dog walk update (no pics because I donít know how to do the Flickr shuffle on my phone):

The Good
- I think Iím getting a consistent 1.2 pH drop with only a few micro bubbles in the tank
- most plants seem to be growing

The Bad
- I canít seem to get reliable check valves, so I canít keep water out of my flow meter, so the gauge on it never shows the actual flow.
- stupid rotala bonsai - I planted a handful of clumps. Some seem to be doing ok, a couple have completely melted. They are all in the same place. I donít get it.
- GSA/GDA on the glass - PO4 was around 10ppm when I tested, so Iíve reduced my photoperiod from 5 to 4 hrs. I might have to turn a fixture or two off while things are starting out. (I stupidly sent my PAR meter to slipfinger before testing my own tank haha)
- Iíve been having issue with both my micro and macro solutions, so my dosing has been very inconsistent. I think the iron I was using might have been an issue in my micros. And the issue with the macros was that I cracked the glass jar when stirring in the salts too aggressively haha.

The Ugly
- gross brown algae flourishing. I used half the sand from my old tank and half new sand. I think the new sand might not be helping. Iím going to try a few big water changes. If that doesnít work I might tone down the lights.

Between school, my RO unit, my other tanks and my new shrimp project, I havenít been able to fully devote my attention to this new setup. Hopefully in the next day or two Iíll be able to finish building my shrimp rack and also get my RO system fully set up. Then itíll be time to focus on this garden. Just in time too, as Iíve got 2 plant shipments coming in the next two weeks

Greggz and RollaPrime like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)

Last edited by MCFC; 10-20-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: .
post #11 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Good to see a new journal started up. The 4ft 120G is something I have my eyes on, so looking forward to seeing where you take this one.
MCFC likes this.

|

post #12 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Good to see a new journal started up. The 4ft 120G is something I have my eyes on, so looking forward to seeing where you take this one.

Iím a big fan of the 120 so far. But there certainly is a big difference once you hit 100+ gallons. Even completely empty, the tank was a struggle to get up on the stand with only 2 people. My homemade canopy is so heavy that Iím going to have to hit the gym for a week beforehand if I ever need to take it off.

The 4íx2í footprint feels like just about the perfect canvas though

Grobbins48 likes this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #13 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi MCFC

It looks Oto arm really went to war against your algae bloom. Do you have any idea what caused it?. I'm really curious about your PH drop, are you aiming for a specific PH or just marking the change?
MCFC likes this.
post #14 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
Hi MCFC

It looks Oto arm really went to war against your algae bloom. Do you have any idea what caused it?.

The otos didn't really touch the brown stuff. That was all manual removal haha. It could have been caused by a number of things:

- inconsistent CO2 - I've been having issues with my flow meter and pH pen
- inconsistent ferts - I've been having issues with my solutions
- too much light too early - I was doing a 5hr photoperiod with all 6 bulbs on for 4hrs.
- unhappy plants - some plants have spent two weeks in a bin with no light, some plants are transitioning from emersed to submerged, and some are TC that need some time to adapt
- possibly something in the new or old sand
- the ghost of Takashi Amano is punishing me for not having any Amano shrimp in there yet

Who knows?? Haha

My attempts to rid myself of the algae:

- I've stopped fussing with the gauge on the flow meter and I'm now just using it essentially as a needle valve while I use my pH pen to see what's going on in the tank. Not my preferred method but it'll work for now.
- I ordered a whole bunch of new ferts a little while ago, including a different Iron. I'm going to try making my standard macro and micro mixes. Macro was just a container issue, so I bought a new one. Micros I keep getting a sludge forming at the bottom. If it happens again I'm going to try making an Iron solution and a Micros -Iron solution.
- I cut the lights down to 4hrs, with all 6 bulbs on for 3hrs. I might increase the hrs but reduce the number of bulbs.
- I can't do much with the plants but trim and wait.
- I'm going to do a few 50% w/c for a couple days or maybe a couple 80% changes over a week. I'm also switching over to RO water.
- I've got a handful of Amanos sitting in quarantine, waiting to get to work on this tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
I'm really curious about your PH drop, are you aiming for a specific PH or just marking the change?
It seems like most people on the high-tech side of things aim for around 1.0 drop in their pH by the time the lights turn on. This should give you a ballpark CO2 level of about 30ppm. Because CO2 is so cheap, I want to push it closer to the limits. I've found that at around a 1.3 drop in pH my fish are gasping for air at the surface. So I see a 1.2 pH drop as being a happy medium between pushing the plants close to their limits without stressing out my fish too much. So I'm not aiming for any specific pH level per se, I'm more aiming for the specific drop.
Greggz, burr740 and RollaPrime like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #15 of 135 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
It seems like most people on the high-tech side of things aim for around 1.0 drop in their pH by the time the lights turn on. This should give you a ballpark CO2 level of about 30ppm. Because CO2 is so cheap, I want to push it closer to the limits. I've found that at around a 1.3 drop in pH my fish are gasping for air at the surface. So I see a 1.2 pH drop as being a happy medium between pushing the plants close to their limits without stressing out my fish too much. So I'm not aiming for any specific pH level per se, I'm more aiming for the specific drop.
I'm not sure of the exact relationship between CO2 and O2 in the water, but I don't believe they are mutually exclusive.

My pH drop is from 8.1 -> 6.6.

I found that to keep the fish from labored breathing in the morning, I run a venturi through the night that aerates the water. I figure this is also good for the plants.

Maybe an expert can correct my thinking, but I believe with proper aeration you can run high levels of CO2. That said, when I had alot of surface exchange (HOB filters), there was more aeration taking place (didn't need the venturi), but CO2 would gas off much quicker.

I think with some more aeration, you can keep CO2 levels high without hurting your fish.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode