elliebellie's 10g Rimless Betta Haven (Photo Heavy!) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking elliebellie's 10g Rimless Betta Haven (Photo Heavy!)

Hello Everyone!

I found this kit and it sparked it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRrrNL-mi4 But I needed a fish and I've never had one before, eek!

I decided I wanted a Betta fish, I knew that those tiny bowls couldnt possibly be what's best for him, and besides, my kit won't fit in a bowl

After so much research my head is swimming I have decided to put him in a 10 gallon, lots of room to play but not so big that I get overwhelmed!

I saw some people had plants in their betta tanks, and that it somehow helped with the toxic chemicals, at first I thought I would just stick my Lucky Bamboo in there (but I have since learned they are not aquatic!), but after EVEN MORE research I see there are so many possibilities! I'm crazy about the idea of a natural planted tank, and it lead me here!

I don't really know much about fish but I've had a lot of experience caring for animals, I LOVE to research and I'm willing to learn!

Tank, 10 Gallon de-rimmed, omG that took a while!

The tank will be a "Low-Tech" type tank.

I have:
TOM Rapids Power Filter 80
50 Watt Hydor Theo heater
API Freshwater Master kit
Prime water conditioner

I still need to get a digital thermometer (I'd love your input on what brands work best for you!)

I'm starting the long-ish process of making MTS, I am SUPER EXCITED!! It is so cool!

So far I have only bought the dirt and I am doing it's first soak now, gross! But so much fun!

It is FREEZING outside now, so I can't dry it out in the sun, so I am going to put the dirt on a shower curtain under my staircase (so no one steps in it )

Lights! I am going to paint the outside of a hardware lamp (probably a deep red to match some of my room decor) and suspend it from the ceiling about 10" above the tank to give it an industrial designer feel, I am planning on using a 23w CFL in the lamp.

Creatures:
Male betta on his way from Bangkok I have named him Mars. EDIT: He is getting here FEB 20th!!!!!!!!!

And I would also like to have 2-3 African Dwarf Frogs!

PLANTS!!

I love the look of good round Marimo Balls, so I'll have several of these.
I don't want any tall plants, instead I want some Phyllanthus fluitans, or maybe Mini water lettuce, so the roots kinda hang down and fill up that space, some java moss here and there, some Anubias (they are sooo cute!) And I'd like to try some Glosso or some other "weeping" plant to put up on some drift wood and cascade down? I don't know how this will work, suggestions are welcome! ()

All plant suggestions are welcome! Let me know what is your favorite low-light plant!

That's it for now!

Ella~

Last edited by elliebellie; 03-06-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
That is a bit of a close date to just start your tank now.
Its only 11 days 'til your fish gets here.
Try to get some old filter media or mulm from an established tank to help speed up your cycling process.

plants? I thought there was gonna be a soccer field in there?
Floaters will look nice.

Another 2.5g story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol! you don't leave the training stuff in there 24/7, and when I aquascape I'll be sure to leave enough room for it

I know I won't have the MTS done or the tank cycled by the time he gets here so I'm getting a 2.5g ready for him temporarily. it'll just be bare bottomed with a silk plant for ease of cleaning until the big tank is ready.

Edit: what is "mulm"?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

mulm is the debri in the gravel of a well established tank. It will speed up your cycling process a lot

-Jason-
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
You might want to do some research on compatibility between the betta and the frogs. I believe someone posted on here about how their Betta made quick work of the frogs.

Mulm is gunk full of the good nitrifying bacteria in your filter media and in your substrate. It's usually brown.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have kept ADFs and Bettas together, but you need to be careful about feeding. Bettas are typically greedy little buggers with their food, whereas ADFs eat slowly and typically stay on the bottom. You have to find a good balance between not overfeeding the Betta, but still getting food down to them.

I've found the long aquatic tweezers work well to hold bloodworms or brine shrimp for them to feed. Or a turkey baster and squirting them down there.

By the way, that is one GORGEOUS betta!
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yay, another betta fan ^.^
So jealous you got an import. He's so beautiful!
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have done lots of research on the betta/frog relationship and I'll be hand/tweezer feeding the frogs, But I'll have an extra tank set up just in case I need to get the frogs out ASAP, I have read it really all depends on your Betta's attitude, so we'll see!

I'm so happy to see so many betta keepers on here, it's very inspiring!

And thanks about the mulm! Do you think it's a good idea to go get some from a pet store? I have a friend who may have some in her tank but she is an hour away, will the bacteria last the car ride home?

If I put live plants in the tank during the cycling process, will it help, or slow it down?

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i would venture out for the hour and get it from a trusted source and not from a chain store especially. there are too many unkowns form a pet store

-Jason-
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
One thing to note about bettas is a tendency to jump. I'm far too fearful, as an owner of a few bettas, to put one in a tank with no cover.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebellie View Post
I have a friend who may have some in her tank but she is an hour away, will the bacteria last the car ride home?
Get it from your friend. As long as you transport it in some of the aquairum water, it will be fine for the drive.

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
all these gorgeous bettas are making me want to set up a betta tank! That 10 gal looks awesome rimless!!!
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Get it from your friend. As long as you transport it in some of the aquairum water, it will be fine for the drive.
+1
Pet stores usually have a ton of diseases in their tanks. Just the other day I saw ick in 2 tanks.

Also, as poppyseed pointed out, bettas really need a covered tank. Especially since you shelled out the extra cash for a more expensive one, I would recommend putting a piece of Plexiglas on top, preferably with some small holes drilled in the top. This will ensure the fish's safety, and won't mar the look of the rimless tank. =)
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejoy View Post
+1
Pet stores usually have a ton of diseases in their tanks. Just the other day I saw ick in 2 tanks.

Also, as poppyseed pointed out, bettas really need a covered tank. Especially since you shelled out the extra cash for a more expensive one, I would recommend putting a piece of Plexiglas on top, preferably with some small holes drilled in the top. This will ensure the fish's safety, and won't mar the look of the rimless tank. =)
+1 to both comments.

I got a plastic top cut for my 20l at Tap Plastic for $13. I just went in with the measurements and a diagram of where I needed cutout for hoses, cords, etc. I'm sure you have something similar where you live.

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I have betta splendens in my rimless, they don't jump out, but of course, better safe than sorry, I've had my fair share of other fish jump though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode