First ever planted nano - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Aus_fishkeeper95

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First ever planted nano

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.
First a brief introduction, I have been keeping fish for over 8 years now, about the last 4 of them ive been taking things a little more serious. After some success with my first planted tank (180L/low tech) ive decided to give a nano planted tank a try

This is my first ever tank journal so you will have to bear with me haha!

A few specs before we get started...
40L curved edge rimless tank
Unknown aquasoil (3mm)
Hob filter
Not sure on light yet???
Alternantheria/ Java fern / Crypt (can anyone i.d this dwarf variety?)

Heres a pic of the hardscape, and then another with the plants i will be using. Id love to get your thoughts on the scape before i fill her up, and if you have suggestions for a 1ft light.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_fishkeeper95 View Post
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.
First a brief introduction, I have been keeping fish for over 8 years now, about the last 4 of them ive been taking things a little more serious. After some success with my first planted tank (180L/low tech) ive decided to give a nano planted tank a try

This is my first ever tank journal so you will have to bear with me haha!

A few specs before we get started...
40L curved edge rimless tank
Unknown aquasoil (3mm)
Hob filter
Not sure on light yet???
Alternantheria/ Java fern / Crypt (can anyone i.d this dwarf variety?)

Heres a pic of the hardscape, and then another with the plants i will be using. Id love to get your thoughts on the scape before i fill her up, and if you have suggestions for a 1ft light.

Thanks!

Looks like a good start! Try moving the java fern into the nook where the wood and stone meet. I'm looking at pic and I see a perfect little hole in front for it. Also, try the AR back in the right corner, see what you think.

Sticking to low tech on this, or are you planning on Co2?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately with such a small tank the wood and rock only looks presentable the way ive stacked it up at the moment. Im not sure there will be much room for the AR behind their.

I was hesitant to have the java fern so close to the surface, so i think i will do just as you recommended and nick some moss from the 180 to put in its place.

Heres a better pic of the Crypt. if any greenthumbs can help with an i.d

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, no plans for co2 at this stage

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So i've added the HoB and heater, managed to poke a stem of AR in the right rear corner and moved java fern into the nook between wood/rock. Excuse the rocks weighing down the wood for the time being

Im going to wait until my LFS has some nice fissiden to cover the wood, but all in good time.

Water in, and a couple of housemates added (dont worry, the HoB has been cycled for 2+ years)... 1 common bristlenose and 1 naughty P.furcatus who is currently serving a time out.

I'm undecided on what to stock it with. I have never been a fan of shrimp but i feel like they will be quite rewarding compared to the usual neon tetra/raspbora.

That being said i do have a good colony of T.ocellicauda i could split from my 180. Anyways ill leave it at that for now,
Cheers.
jfish043 and JeremyDMeyer76 like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe cryptocoryne parva?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:39 AM
Algae Grower

Looks like your off to a great start!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls2death View Post
Maybe cryptocoryne parva?
I think youre right on that one. Thanks!

A quick update on the tank;
Having a breakout of bacteria/algae on the driftwood, i guess my hot water soaking wasnt extensive enough!! Not too bothered but its a bit unsightly. Other than that i have noticed new shoots on the crypts and the ar is looking healthy...which is a suprise to me as i couldnt grow it to save my life in my 180.

Id prefer to let nature takes its course on the white fuzz as i believe its harmless??

As for lights i am just using a single cfl at the moment but it seems to work! If things decline i have an ebay led but its awfully bright and i'd have to rig up a fixture.

Sidenote; I'd love to hear your opinions on seachems range of liquid ferts? I have been meaning to switch to ei dosing for a while but last time i went to the lfs they were out, and i already have flourish/trace/excel.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 4 update

Finally lost all of the fuzzy bacteria so the tank is photo worthy! Ive replaced the Alternanthera with an Ozelot sword, and behind that is a tiny snippet of Vallis from my large tank. Up front ive planted some DHG. I am still yet to come across some nice mosses locally so ive ended up pulling some java and placed 2 small pieces on the wood.

Inhabitants so far include a couple of juvie b/n plecos, a shrimp and an escapee peacock gudgeon...couldnt believe my eyes one morning when i was fiddling with some stuff around my big tank and found a very crispy fish on the floor. Somewhat upset, i picked her up off the floor and i could feel the slightest movement from her in my hand. After nursing her infront of the hob outlet of the new nano she is almost back to 100% Crazy!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode