1Likes
  • 1 Post By chinzerz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Chinz's 15 Gallon Journal

Okay!

So I've been away from the hobby for a few years now, and after finishing graduate school, a puppy, a new job, and a cross-country move, I decided to come back!

(I had previously been on here as "dooboogoo", but I forgot my password and my recovery email is my old undergraduate email, which I don't think I have access to, so...here we go with a new account.)

So a while back, I was in my local pet store to purchase dog food and I decided to just browse the available aquariums there. I found this awesome rimless 15 gallon tank (50cm x 33cm x 35cm - Yego Brand - it's Chinese, which is all I know...) for less than $50, and I made an impulse decision.

Today, I finally received all my equipment, so I bought some hardscape and plants, and I'm really loving how it turned out. And without further ado, PICS

I've watched a TON of youtube videos on aquascaping and I saw an idea of using lava rock as the base to create a slope.

I added ADA Amazonia and Dragon Stone, with two gnarly pieces of driftwood.

Here it is all planted.

Top view before filling

Filled!!

I scraped off the bubbles on the front side of the glass. It's a little cloudy but I think it'll settle in a couple days.

Here's what I have so far:

Equipment
Lighting: Twinstar 450EA
Filter: Eheim 2215
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
Filter Pipes: Jardli Surface Skimmer Intake and Yagote Poppy Outake
No heater yet...
CO2: Archaea CO2 Pro Regulator for Paintball Tanks - not set up yet cuz I forgot to fill my CO2 tank and I don't think I have the right size CO2 tubing.

Plants:
Anubias barteri var. nana
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Helanthium tenellum
Cryptocoryne wendtii "red"

I'm soon going to be setting up my CO2 and I'm on the lookout for maybe some Bucephelandra to put in here. Fish-wise, I want shrimp, ember tetras and microdevario kubotai, which may be in my LFS.

A test kit is also on my list, and I think I'll be setting up some form of inline heater, if I have space. I'm finding that my tubing gets kinked up, which is sort of why my filter pipes aren't together. That, and the surface skimmer is too tall.

I hope you guys enjoyed this little step by step setup, and I'm so excited to see this tank grow in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice.
Just in case I'll say: Keep tabs on that tripartita, it'll go everywhere if you let it. Same thing with the helanthium tenellum.
Substrate could have used levelling so it's straighter and not so wavy. Also in future scapes, pretty much always have a slope from front to back. Obviously rules are meant to be broken, but in the beginning it's best to follow the rule before you break them (I think that's the saying). For nano tanks, powder version is nice to have on top, or just for the whole tank. Really helps with the scale of the tank.

Looks like a dennerle knockoff. Not bad at all.

Cheers and welcome back.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
Very nice.
Just in case I'll say: Keep tabs on that tripartita, it'll go everywhere if you let it. Same thing with the helanthium tenellum.
Substrate could have used levelling so it's straighter and not so wavy. Also in future scapes, pretty much always have a slope from front to back. Obviously rules are meant to be broken, but in the beginning it's best to follow the rule before you break them (I think that's the saying). For nano tanks, powder version is nice to have on top, or just for the whole tank. Really helps with the scale of the tank.

Looks like a dennerle knockoff. Not bad at all.

Cheers and welcome back.
Thanks for the input! I really tried to keep it level before I filled it, but I guess the water disturbed it, haha. I have a flattening tool, so I'll try to fix that in the morning. I should've gone with powder, I guess I'll try to get some to top it off if I ever rescape.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a little update...

I got my CO2 up and running and added a couple anubias nana petite to the rocks and driftwood.

All the plants seem to be doing well, the H. tenellum and H. tripartita are taking off! I think the hydrocotyle is pearling as well. I couldn't resist and added a school of 5 ember tetra to start. They look pretty good and are eating.

FTS

Pearling??

These last two aren't the best, but I managed to take a couple clear-ish pictures of the embers....they move too fast!

tredford likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Algae Grower

The scape looks great, and nice pics of the embers!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredford View Post
The scape looks great, and nice pics of the embers!
Thanks!!

I found some diatoms today...which I guess is normal for a < 2 week old tank. I just took most of it out (which wasn't too much) and spot treated with some hydrogen peroxide. I've got a dimmer, drop checker, and ferts all on the way, so hopefully it'll just be a waiting game for this tank to mature now.

I'm also thinking of maybe adding a taller stem plant, like Ludwigia arcuata?

Anyone have thoughts on stems? Preferably pinks/reds?

Tags
aquascape, new aquarium, twinstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode