Office 10 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Office 10 Gallon

So I started a new job this August. My wife and I moved our little family about 100 miles for this new position. It has been a great move so far, and the wife and kids are settling in well in a new town.

My new office needed something to give it a little life, so I decided to put together a fish tank. My wife suggested that I try another planted tank, which I hadnít done in about seven years.

I went and picked up a ten gallon tank from the petco. I also grabbed an AC30 HOB, eco-complete substrate, a couple rocks, and a dinky little submersible heater. I had to order a drop checker, some 4dKH solution, ceramic CO2 diffuser, and the finnex fugeray planted+ 20Ē LED light. Amazon prime is a hell of a thing!

My old 5# CO2 tank has been sitting in my garage junk pile for years. The Milwaukee MA957 clicked when I plugged it in, so I decided to go ahead and reuse the old piece of junk. It doesnít hold a bubble count worth a crap, but itís all that I have on hand at the moment. I hooked it up and itís bubbling away at a fever pace (yellow drop checker). My gauges on the regulator arenít in good shape, so who knows how much gas I have in the tank.

I placed an order through one of the popular online plant dealers. I got some narrow leaf chain sword, rotala indica, rotala nanjenshan, crypt parva, crypt undulata, Amazon sword ďcompactaĒ, HC, bacopa, and something called limnophila hippuroides (which is a PITA to plant in eco-complete).

Iíve got it all planted except for the limnophila hippuroides. That particular stem plant is hard to plant in this substrate, so itís floating until I figure out what to do with it.

I think it looks good...

Hereís a little shot of the lights. Iím new to this LED scene. It was t5ho or bust back in the old days. Evidently, things have changed quite a bit. Weíll see how well things grow under this light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Discusluv likes this.

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I bought some Thrive all-in-one liquid fertilizer. If this stuff works, itíll be my favorite part of the setup. I remember jacking around with dry fertilizers and a digital gram scale. I always felt like a dang mad scientist or some kind of drug dealer mixing white powders and weighing things out.

Itís pretty easy to use. Supposedly all I have to do is pump it one time to treat ~10 gallons. I do this 2-3x per week in conjunction with a decent water change once a week. It doesnít get any easier than that!

-
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice setup! I recently got back into the hobby also (after a 12 year gap). Has anyone in your office commented about the tank yet? I'm sure you will get a lot of conversation out of it. What are your plans for stocking?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Everyone who stops in asks me about it. Itís mostly people curious what the CO2 tank is for or what the drop checker is.

Iím a public school administrator, and itís fun to bring the special needs kiddos to my office and let them check it out. They love it.

As far as stock, Iím not really sure what to do. My CO2 regulator is very crappy, and itís difficult to keep the drop checker green (Itís yellow right now after monkeying with the needle valve for half an hour). Iím afraid that Iíd gas out fish in a heartbeat.

If I ever buy a more high quality reg, I plan on doing guppies.

-
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

Nice
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Things were pearling like crazy before I left the office yesterday evening.

Discusluv likes this.

-
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A couple shots from this afternoon. The tank is rocking right along. The only problem I have is with the limnophila hippuroides. Itís a pain in the rear to plant in eco-complete. I got a few stems sort of ďplantedĒ. Itís just not an easy plant to work with, IMO.

As I mentioned, my Milwaukee regulator is difficult to fine tune. The yellow state of my drop checker is the result of the crap regulator. Any suggestions on a rock solid, idiot proof reg?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

-
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I performed the first trim/rearrange this afternoon before leaving for the day. I separated the crypt parva into individual plants and scattered them throughout the foreground. I removed quite a bit of the melting leaves from the crypt undulata. The narrow leaf chain sword got a significant haircut and rearranging. I cut and replanted the tops of a portion of my rotala indica.

Everything looks good and healthy so far. I have lots of new growth. The HC seems healthy, and it pearls like crazy. Iím happy with how things are going. Iíll post some pictures on my next post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

-
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Office 10 Gallon

FTS after trim...

Crypt parva after being split apart. Theyíre growing nicely.

Narrow leaf chain sword after its first trimming. I see new shoots coming up, so Iím optimistic that it will survive the trimming.

Crypt undulata and HC shot. They are both looking good. There is dead plant matter stuck in the HC, but itís otherwise doing great.

I think that the tank is doing well. I need to do a water change and clean some of the dead crap out of it, but itís not too bad. I havenít noticed any significant algae yet, but that is coming...

Iím happy with it thus far.

-
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Planted Member

Is it okay to cut the tops of the chain swords?

Just curious.

Nice tank btw
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank158 View Post
Is it okay to cut the tops of the chain swords?

Just curious.

Nice tank btw
It may promote runners, but on an established carpet, I wouldn't. You just want to remove entire leaves if they're unhealthy.

Nice looking tank!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updates as of 9/21/2018

Clearly, algae is become an issue. I reduced my lighting by two hours and did quite a bit of trimming. I performed a big water change before this picture. I hope that the algae issues arenít difficult to navigate.

The crypt parva is growing new leaves much closer to the substrate. I think that it will survive just fine.

The crypt undulata got a trimming. It looks like the melt is over with. I removed algae covered leaves, and it looks like there are plenty of new leaves growing. The rock is totally algae covered!

The HC has algae on it that I donít know how to remove. It seems to be growing, and it pearls like crazy all the time. I like it, but itís certainly not the lime green that I would like.

The narrow leaf chain sword is doing very well following the trim I did earlier. New leaves are all over the place. Theyíre growing lower to the substrate as well. This stuff is one of my favorite plants so far.

The rotala stem plants arenít really booming like I was hoping they would. They arenít dead, but theyíre just sitting there. I guess Iíll have to be patient.

The sword is growing like crazy. It has put on probably 4 or 5 new leaves, but Iíve had to remove 7 or 8 for algae growth. It still looks good though.

Iím hoping that the reduced photo period helps with the algae. Iíve been pumping the CO2, adding ferts as directed, and performing water changes. I guess I need to add some algae eating fauna soon.

-
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are some updates pictures. The algae seems to be under control. I dosed some algae controlling chemical and then added an algae eating fish (Siamese algae eater I believe) and several snails (two odd ball type and three nerites). I think that everything is looking decent. The plants are growing like crazy!

I found some lobelia cardinalis at PetSmart. I couldnít pass up on this as itís one of my all time favorite aquarium plants.

The narrow leaf chain sword survived the trimming and is growing back nicely.

Hereís one of the new nerite snails.

The sword plant is sending out a runner with plantlets. I would say that itís happy.

The crypt undulata is doing very well.

I moved some stem plants around to make room for the sword in the back corner. This is the result of that process. I think that the stems are getting too much light as theyíre not growing upward. Theyíre curling over and growing in a funky manner. Oh well, theyíll be fine. The crypt parva is beginning to look really nice. It wonít be long before they spread all over the place.

I refilled my CO2 tank, so I think I should be good for a while. The tank seems to be settling in well. I am seeing good growth each day. The bacopa is really thriving.

I added four female and two male fancy guppies. Iíll have a swarm before long!

-
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

As someone who just purchased and then lost a nerite (literally, as in he has disappeared) in less than a week, you may want to consider a lid.

Looks good though!

Edit: Found him! (Surprisingly). I still stand by the lid recommendation though, as I've found them on the ground near my other tank in the past.
CAM6467 likes this.

Last edited by Surrealle; 10-05-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: text
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

You'll have a jungle for that swarm of guppies too. Looks great! Had two nerites in my 10 gallon and seemed I was constantly scrapping eggs off of surfaces...be prepared I ended up giving a neighbor one of them and since then have happily had a cleaner tank.
CAM6467 likes this.

-Mo

10 gallon planted low tech
Water changes, water changes, water changes...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode