Igor's 75G Tank Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Igor's 75G Tank Journal

I want to take this time to thank everyone who's helped me on this forum throughout the time I've been here. I'll keep this short, no one wants to read a whole essay, especially on a fish forum.

Filtration: Hydor 450
Lighting: Fluval 2.0 ( was running about 50% in these pictures )
Substrate: 100lbs white imagitarium sand
Co2: 20 lb tank, Nilocg inline diffuser
Stock: 11 rummynose tetras, 13 candycane tetras, 4 kuhli loaches, 5 sterbai corys, 4 amano shrimp left/10 ( 9 Otos in QT )

Now from the beginning to now.
Shoutout to @Maryland_Guppy for the plants

2 Weeks later

Another few weeks later, last pic with the barbs before I re-homed them

Shoutout to @Bartohog for the reds

MOST RECENT PIC- Today before the mass re-scape. All plants were just thrown in as one big grow out tank, no scape really.

Moved the swords to the QT tank with otos, will have a ton of amanos in it once the otos are ready in a week or two. Going to scape the tank for them once I'm done with the main tank. 9 otos in here btw, good luck finding any

Well, I'm exhausted. 7 hours later, and a chemical burn from H2O2, here's the final product. I had too much lobelia cardinalis after I picked it apart, but what am I going to do, throw it out? I tossed probably 7 handfuls of bad bottom stems, or rotting leaves, and ran through 6 bottles of h2o2. I plan on buying some more ludwigia palustris soon to fill the back right. For now, it is what it is. I'll update parameters in the coming days. The driftwood is there temporarily as somewhere to hide, and the shrimp live on it. Will remove once tank grows in.

Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Igor95; 09-10-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 2, really bad melt. Woke up to the tank temp at 82F, instantly dumped frozen water bottle got it down to 78F. This is what caused my problems to begin with. Plants are starting to melt hard. H2O2/high temps/rescape, not a good combo. Dosing regiment is a bit leaner than what I've done before, let's see how it works.

KNO3- 3/8 tsp Monday, Wednesday
NO3 5.51
N 1.24
K 3.47

K2HPO4- 0

K2SO4- 3/8 tsp Monday, Wednesday
K 3.79
S 1.56

Micros- 1/4 - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

TOTAL
NO3-11.02ppm+food/waste
K-15.67ppm
PO4- 1ppm tap w/50%wc+food
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Igor95; 09-10-2018 at 11:38 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Plants got decimated by the H2O2, most melted away. Note to self, don't over-do H2O2. New plants should be coming in about a week. This is the tank now. I bought a Koralia 425 for the top right side running the back wall, got hoses coming in to re-route the filter output, and will have the 240 giving some surface agitation. Moved the blyxa, realizing I can't keep it in the back as it accumulated everything in it and the flow ins't strong enough. I think it contributed heavy to the cyano outbreak I had. Once the new plants come in, I'll move the blyxa closer to the left side with the better flow. Lowered co2 from yellow to a lime green since I've been losing amanos non-stop. Lowered lighting to about 60%. Parameters as of yesterday, NO3-30, PO4-5, PH 6.4 (1 hour after co2 off) 7.2 tap. This is what the tank looks like as of 5 minutes ago.

Got a surprise from my QT tank yesterday. Was cleaning the oto tank to dose prazi for the last dose and noticed something swimming away from the siphon. The swords I brought to the QT tank had eggs on em and I figured the otos ate em. Guess not. Managed to save 4 fry, hatched some brine shrimp eggs overnight. Hopefully they make it. They're sterbai corys btw.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry for the long absence, I'm back with some updates!
After that 2nd temperature melt, I replaced the plants once again... and bought some new ones. The tank still isn't scaped how I want it, it's one big grow out tank at this point. I'm waiting for the plants to get into the submersed state so I can plant the tops, and scape how I want it. Also having some bad GSA, added 1ppm more po4/cleaned diffuser and raised co2. I'm paranoid of po4 since my cyano outbreak where I had 10+ppm po4. I got it under control and keep it at 1-2. The temperature is finally getting cooler so I should finally be able to finish the scape without anymore melts. Don't know what I'm going to do next summer for the heat though. The driftwood will stay in the tank until the scape grows in, it's not part of the scape. The amanos live on it, and loaches under it. This is the tank as of today.

Managed to save a few 2-3 inch stumps of ludwigia sp red after the last melt, ended up recovering nicely.(top view)

Added the 9 otos from the qt into dt last morning, and today I have eggs on the filter output. 99% sure it's theirs. I didn't clean the tank glass in the past month so they clean it, didn't expect them to clean up overnight.

Pogostemon erectus bounced back and grew a good bit over the past month.

The Fluval 3.0 came in last night, hooked it up today, picture for size comparison. I plan on running both the 2.0 and the 3.0 lights, but today I'm just running the 3.0 on full. So far I like it a lot more than the 2.0, not even for the bluetooth, but for the size difference, and the weight.

The co2 has been a bit inconsistent the past month, I had to lower it to not lose anymore amanos, and I haven't lost any since. Also the inline atomizer was clogged with diatoms and wasn't diffusing much, so even though the bubble counter was good, I wasn't getting good diffusion. Anyways, I soaked it in h2o2 overnight and it's back to it's former self. I've been turning it up slowly and watching the amanos. If I'm going to run both lights, I want max co2 without any more deaths. As for ferts, I've just been frontloading mainly 2 tbsp GH booster after wc along with 1/16 PO4, and micros 1/8 tsp daily. I'm reading about 20-40 NO3, and 2 PO4. I'm removing the blyxa japonica as it's giving me the same problems as before. It's growing and trapping all the debris and it's rotting inside the bush. Not to mention the plant itself keeps melting half it's leaves and floating around the tank. I thought I was starting to get hair algae, but it was blyxa leaves decaying on other plants. The fry I saved, I managed to only keep 1 alive till now sadly. He's in a 2.5G that's 1/3 full and I do daily 6-9 cup water changes for him. Crushed flakes/hatching brine shrimp every other day, alternating. @Greggz Thanks for the support, the pictures should be up now! Only imageshack works, for me at least.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Igor95; 10-08-2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Really nice start to a tank.

Looks like a lot of good things happening there.

Have a feeling this will only get better and better.

Subscribed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Drew up a little final layout. Only hesitant about the mermaid weed placement. We'll see...

Readings as of today. 20 NO3, 2 PO4. Water change was yesterday, added 3 tbsp gh booster. Will add 5ppm NO3/2ppm PO4 tomorrow. Micros are still 1/8 daily.

Last edited by Igor95; 10-09-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: edit
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
Drew up a little final layout. Only hesitant about the mermaid weed placement. We'll see...
I like the mapping of the layout. Looks like a good plan.

But here's the thing.

A tank is a living breathing thing that changes all the time. So while it's good to have a plan, don't be surprised if you are moving things around before you know it. In fact, I would bet on it.

Every time I walk by my tank I usually think of something I could swap/move. It's a sickness. You'll see.

------------------
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I know, I'm not worried about that. Always looking to improve and learn. I just want this heat wave gone so I can grow the plants out already without them melting. Got a few more days of 75-80F weather, then into the 60s and 50s we go.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is 100% algae free, I feel like I can bump the lights for 1 extra hour, to 7 hours. First day today, never had rotala pearl like today.

I tripped the top of the ludwigia sp. rubin, after about a week I have about 5 buds sprouting from the top and a few from the substrate. Pretty neat. You can see the old leaves have pretty bad gsa, the new ones are fine. Will be tossing the old stem once the new ones grow out enough to be cut/planted.

Ludwigia sp. red lost some of that orangeish color and is a bit more bright red. I added 5ppm NO3 and 2ppm PO4.

Tank as of 5 minutes ago.

As of now, this is still a farm tank for the most part. I'm waiting to trim the tops and toss the bottoms before I start scaping. The only plants not doing too good are the rotala in the back left corner, and the mermaid weed that's turned black and rotted away. I want to replace it with some myrio green. The rotala a mix between rotundifolia and blood red. Mainly getting stem rot at the bottom and mid stem, but the tops are pearling hard. I figure its from lack of light or co2, as the co2 distribution to that corner is the least. I tried adding the 2nd led, but then got the school of rummynoses in the corner turning pale and breathing heavy. I just turned it off. I'll try again starting next week maybe ease it in at 50% to start. I might scrap the rotala, I've been looking for some murdannia keisak, but this stuff is impossible to find. I will be replacing the miserable s repens carpet in the front left. I tried to salvage what I could after that huge melt after the h2o2 dips, and the new growth is bad. The leaves are growing out deformed and not full, like they're been eaten. I added an extra 2ppm PO4/5ppm NO3 midweek. I don't really dose much as I said before, NO3 stays consistent 20-40, I dose about 5-10ppm when it gets down to 20, but the PO4 I will start dosing at least 2ppm weekly. K is also sufficient at about 25 weekly from GH booster. Tank is coming along and finally the heat is gone. No more plant melting. MORE PLANTS COMING SOON!
Greggz likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
I've been looking for some murdannia keisak, but this stuff is impossible to find.
Believe I have found this plant locally in Maryland.
Claimed to be an invasive species too.
If found emersed the transition to submerged is very painless with this one.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Believe I have found this plant locally in Maryland.
Claimed to be an invasive species too.
If found emersed the transition to submerged is very painless with this one.
I'd be willing to buy some if you manage to get your hands on it. Let me know.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I am doing two more collecting trips before November.
If found how many stems would you want?

Growing is not that difficult.

Last edited by Maryland Guppy; 10-13-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: edit
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I am doing to more collecting trips before November.
If found how many stems would you want?
About 15-20 if possible, just need to fill in the back left corner where the rotala sits.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did a trim+wc yesterday. Trimmed the Limnophila hippuridoides, removed the emersed bottoms, they were starting to rot in the tank, got about 2 inch tops out of em. Tossed a lot of rotala from the corner, and trimmed the tops on the right side and replanted. Tossed the mermaid weed, turned black and just didn't want to grow. Had to scrap the 2nd light 2nd day in, the pogo erectus in the back is starting to get hair algae. I'll stick to one light, if the rotala starts growing poorly, I'll toss it and get something a bit more lower light. Might even play around with the 2nd light, start it at 50% and see if hair algae recedes.

Tank with 1 light on in the middle of the tank.

Tank with both lights on spread out.

Pogo helferi shedding it's last bottom leaves. Tops are starting to grow out nicely.

Random picture of Ludwigia Palustris. For some reason the leaves droop down in the morning, and perk up towards the end of the day. Overall, looks healthy.

Raised my PO4, GSA isn't going away. CO2 is good in the tank, so I'll raise PO4 a bit more. Noticed deficiencies on the Hygro Siamensis, leaves were curling inward on the longitudinal axis, and the leaves were large and crinkly. Was advised by Joe to double dose the NO3/PO4. I'll try to update that in the coming future. Can't seem to find any sellers for murdannia keisak or myrio green sadly. I really want to finish scaping the tank. Also, looking to pick up an Eheim 350 skimmer. The surface scum/film is really annoying to look at. Over the past few months, apparently there have been fakes and/or defective ones though. Looking to ride it out till they're off the market so I can pick up a working one.
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Igor95; 10-17-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: edit
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can a mod please delete this thread? @Darkblade48

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode