• 1 Post By dinokath
  • 1 Post By dinokath

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
dinokath's 75g Shrimp Tank

Hi all,
Been on the forum for quite some time now, mostly reading up, sometimes asking a question or two but really enjoying the content. @Greggz suggested I post a tank long, something I have never really done before and we’ll see if I keep up with it, but I figured why not, what the heck, so here goes nothing.

A little about me. Been keeping fish for nearly 40 years now and started off with a 10 gallon tank in my room as a kid with angel fish and a pleco. Over the years have had various sized and themed tanks but moved up in size and scope in the last 10 years and went high tech planted. Not too high tech at first, using Excel for carbon and a moderate light source but over the years, as the budget has allowed, grown into the hobby a little more and more. Now my tank is almost full fledged geek, almost…

My current setup is a 75 gallon rimmed heavily planted shrimp and cleanup crew tank. It’s been sitting in the corner though for the past couple years in a state of dormancy after my kids begged me to get some fish for the shrimp tank. Big mistake. Turns out those neon tetras will eat the crap out of your shrimp. I had my tank in a state of chi – it was beautiful. Minimal intervention needed by me, no fertilizer, automated feeder, monthly water changes, bi monthly filter cleaning/maintenance. It was pure joy. Then I ruined it. I lost interest now that my little red shrimp were gone and was kind of pissed off at the fish so they were getting minimal attention. The tank just kind of sat there.

I decided to get rid of it a couple months ago when the wife said I should get it back online and beautiful again, especially since I really enjoyed looking at it. I scooped out the fish, gave them to a buddy with a tank and proceeded to clean the crap out of the tank. I have two filters, one of which what turned off when the CO2 ran out and boy was it rank. After a couple days of really cleaning the crud out of it, it looked new again and just needed some fresh plants to get going, along with a few minor upgrades to help the automation!

My current setup is as follows:

Hardware
75 gallon standard rimmed big box tank
CurrentUSA NovaExtreme T5HO 4x54w
Zoomed FloraSun x2
Zoomed Ultra Sun x2
4” Eco-Complete substrate
Fluval 406 Canister Filter (x2)
Fluval Bio-Foam and Filter Blocks
Seachem Matrix BioMedia – 750g per filter
Seachem Purigen – 250ml per filter
Fluval Prefilter Media – 750g per filter
Generic water polishing pads
Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4
SUNSUN JVP Series Submersible Circulation Powerhead Pump 530 GPH
Eheim Skim 350 Surface Skimmer
Eheim 6664 Prefilter on each intake (I LOVE this prefilter. LOVE)
Fluval E300 Heater
Milwaukee SMS 122 pH Controller
Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator/Solenoid/Bubble counter
DIY CO2 Reactor (Rex Griggs inspired design)
10lb CO2 Tank
HM Digital TDS-4 Pocket Size TDS Meter
API pH, GH, KH, Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia Tests
LaMotte Brewlab (I also homebrew beer as a hobby) Water Test Kit for Ca, Mg and Total Alkalinity
Several Samsung Smartthings compatible switches to time on/off cycles

Software
Seachem Safe
Seachem Flourish Excel
Seachem Equilibrium
Seachem Alkaline Buffer
Seachem Flourish Iron
DIY Dry Micro and Macros – KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, MGSO4, Plantex CSM+B

Water Parameters
Tap
pH - 6.8 GH - 3 KH -0.5 TDS - 41 Calcium - 30ppm Mg - 0ppm
Tank (after 5 days and Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer additions)
pH - 7.0 GH - 7 KH - 2 TDS - 210 Calcium - 50ppm Mg - 10ppm

Fauna
Painted Fire Red Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Otocinclus
Nerite Snails
Assassin Snails

Flora
Photoperiod - 1 each Zoomed Flora and Ultra Sun on 3p-10p. Mildly lit ambient light in room all day.
Rotala Indica
Anubias Nana
Anubias Coffeefolia
Chiliensis
Ozelot Sword
Balansae
Broad Ludwigia
Java Fern
Red Cryptocorne
Amazon Sword
Red Rubin
Marble Queen Radican
Dwarf Baby Tears
Java and Christmas Mosses
Several VERY old pieces of Malaysian driftwood and some cholla wood

Daily Schedule
1300 - Excel dosed - 15ml
1330 - Macros dosed -13ml per PPS Pro formula
1400 - Micros dosed -7ml per PPS Pro formula
1430 - CO2 turns on
1500 - 2/4 bulbs on - One each Flora Sun and Ultra Sun
2100 - CO2 off
2200 - Lights out
2200 - Skimmer on
0500 - Skimmer off

Found a photo I took of it before planting and after cleaning on Aug 2:

Here's what it looked like immediately after planting on Aug 2:

So here are a few shots taken this evening of the tank. Let me know what you think of the layout, suggestions are always welcomed! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

Greggz, TaylorTurner and iamaloner like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dinokath; 03-12-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, very nice setup! The automation is way more complicated than I could ever hope to achieve, lol. Your plants are looking great! I love the spreading micro sword. That’s something I might try and add to my low tech 38.

Do you mind I ask where you ordered the $100 in plants from? I guess you’d probably say you were happy with the quality.

Once again, looking great!
Greggz likes this.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! The automation isn't too bad really. The dosing pump is the newest addition and I am working out the kinks but I think I have I dialed in now. If I didn't have the automation I couldn't do it. There's just not enough hours in a day!

Got the plants from liveaquaria.com. Plants were $135 then I had a coupon that brought them down to just over $100 and then I couldn't resist and added the nerites and some HC. Got the ultimate plant pack for a 75g tank and it was very filling to be sure. Some of the plants were heat damaged in transit but are coming back to life. The HC and rotala indica were damaged the most but not dead. There were lots of pond snail eggs, so buyer beware but I am very happy overall with the plant purchase. Everything arrived quickly and looked good out of the box.
Greggz likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinokath View Post
Crushed Coral Small media bag full in non CO2 reactor filter

Water Parameters
Tap
pH - 7.6 GH - 4 KH - 4 TDS - 128
Tank (after 5 days)
pH - 7.6 GH - 10 KH - 7 TDS 205
Having crushed coral and CO2 / pH controller is not the best idea. See the KH spike from 4 to 7 dKH in just a few days? This will cause the CO2 supply to double in a week.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 07:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinokath View Post
Crushed Coral – Small media bag full in non CO2 reactor filter

Water Parameters
Tap
pH - 7.6 GH - 4 KH - 4 TDS - 128
Tank (after 5 days)
pH - 7.6 GH - 10 KH - 7 TDS – 205
Having crushed coral and CO2 / pH controller is not the best idea. See the KH spike from 4 to 7 dKH in just a few days? This will cause the CO2 supply to double in a week.
I was just looking at that. The coral will release more carbonates in an acidic environment, and with the pH controller, it's going to compensate for the additional carbonates driving up the pH by dosing more CO2. Recipe for disaster there.

That being said, your tank is beautiful, sir.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks great! I'm not good at high tech at all, but those plants are looking really healthy.

If possible, I'd add another 4 albino corys to the mix - 2 isn't really enough and they won't show their true personalities.

Journal

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I was just looking at that. The coral will release more carbonates in an acidic environment, and with the pH controller, it's going to compensate for the additional carbonates driving up the pH by dosing more CO2. Recipe for disaster there.

That being said, your tank is beautiful, sir.
Thanks for the comment. I've used crushed coral for years like this and haven't seen any issues honestly. What kind of disaster do you mean? Fish death due to CO2 poisoning? The drop checker stays a nice shade of dark green and I am not seeing any signs of stress.

I hear what you all are saying so I'll pull it out. I've always kept it in there so the calcium dissolves back into the water and helps offset the damage being done to the shells of the snails by the CO2. That may be dated information and possibly bad information, I concede, since I've been using it for quite a number of years.

Thanks for the feedback!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Looks great! I'm not good at high tech at all, but those plants are looking really healthy.

If possible, I'd add another 4 albino corys to the mix - 2 isn't really enough and they won't show their true personalities.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I though about adding more of them but I wanted to keep the fish poop levels as low as possible. I am lazy and don't want to clean up after them, but I agree that more corys would be cool. I may take your advice and pick up a few more. Thanks!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just pulled the trigger on some new T5 bulbs. Instead of all 6500k's I am getting 2 Zoomed Flora Sun's @5000k and 2 Zoomed Ultra Sun's @ 6500k. I'll post some shots once they arrive. My current bulbs are about 6 years old and probably not lighting as much as the should or could.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Noticing the start of a little BBA on micro swords towards the front of the tank closest to the glass. Not seeing it anywhere else. Dosed with 30ml H2O2 using a syringe. We'll see how it goes. May up the Excel dose as well but I'll mess with that a little later. I may be getting a little too much ambient light up front and I have never put a plant that close to the front of the glass before. The outflow of the filter is pointed directly to the front of the glass and I feel good about the flow surrounding the micro sword patch. Going to dial back the photo period an hour on each end. CO2 stays pretty consistent.

Updated my initial post to reflect some altering of my timers and whatnot.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Picked up 20 Amano Shrimp to hopefully knock out the BBA issue. Hit the BBA with Excel and H2O2 with little change, which surprised me since it had worked so well for me in the past.

Ordered them on Sunday, shipped on Tuesday, arrived today. 2 hr drip acclimation and they are ready!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My new bulbs arrived. I have 2 Zoo med Flora Suns and 2 Zoo med Ultra Suns. I am pretty happy with the colors and the look. Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Before:

After:

The Dude1 likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Your tank is really looking fantastic! You have the perfect setup for growing some nice bucephelandra. There is always someone in my tanks that munches on my bucephelandra

Twin high tech 75's -
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Your tank is really looking fantastic! You have the perfect setup for growing some nice bucephelandra. There is always someone in my tanks that munches on my bucephelandra
Thank you! It's great getting back into it. I'll look into that plant, it looks beautiful. Thank you for the suggestion!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode