25g long & low rimless - new *full* tank photo - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 07:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi, I read the whole thread today! Very interesting stuff! I feel you have a natural eye in creating a beautiful jungle look but on the other hand you have an affinity for all almost any fussy fish species there is. I have kept pygmy corys and cpds ( in fact I still do) and I know from experience that they are both delicate and casualties are to be expected especially when you start with bad stock at the LFS.

The only way to be successful is to start with quality fish and be able to provide live food. Grindal worms culture is easy and anyone can do it. Fish thrive on live food.

Sometimes you one has to accept and stick to what's really working for them. You could stock with hardy fish like White cloud mountain minnows which are cheap as chips and extremely underrated! Hardy, lively and beautiful. It is often overlooked at the fish store but in a home aquarium and with proper care they transform completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Sarpijk Thank you! The CPDs are well on the whole and the juveniles are coming on really nicely. Once we do eventually move, I'd like to breed some more but don't fancy moving tiny fry if we are able to move at short notice. Just can't work out what these lesions are or what's triggering them, especially as it appears to be species-specific. I won't be buying anymore, but I wouldn't consider them to "not be working" as I've lost one after 6 months of no issues and none of the juveniles have shown any issues.

Live cultures are another one that's waiting until we move. I had a "daphnia jar" a few years back that was handy, but just don't have the space in the current flat. It's actually the reason why I added all the cherry shrimp though, they're a nice addition in general, but provide a constant live food source for the badis, along with smaller snails.

I did think about minnows a while back, they're beautiful fish! Their preferred temps are a bit low for my cryptocorynes though as far as I'm aware, and those make up the majority of my plants. I'd like another larger tank (again after we move) that I can have a bit warmer and then run this tank a bit cooler for the badis, CPDs, cherries, and corys, so if the CPDs do dwindle over the coming years then minnows will be right up there on my list of replacements They were also top on my list for a loose Taiwanese biotope (they've been introduced to some areas of Taiwan) - do you happen to know if they're jumpers?
Sarpijk likes this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

Hi, I' ve been keeping White cloud mountain minnows and crypts for more than 8 years. They work great together, I never had any problem with crypts and unheated tanks!

Not sure if it's allowed but here's a link to my setup.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not much to update but here's a pic of the gourami I'll be keeping once I can rehome the other two:

I also really enjoy spotting the shrimp that have clearly been bred within the tank. Anything bright is seemingly eaten before reaching adulthood - I've spotted juveniles that are red/carbon rilis, red, and blue-ish, but only the black and wild-type offspring survive. Here's one below:

chicken.nublet likes this.

Journal

post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 01:14 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Not much to update but here's a pic of the gourami I'll be keeping once I can rehome the other two:

I also really enjoy spotting the shrimp that have clearly been bred within the tank. Anything bright is seemingly eaten before reaching adulthood - I've spotted juveniles that are red/carbon rilis, red, and blue-ish, but only the black and wild-type offspring survive. Here's one below:

Love honey gouramis, the one you're keeping looks fantastic. It's a shame they're fighting, would be nice if you could keep all three.

I'm hoping to pick up some carbon rili or similar neocaridina shrimp for my cube because I kind of figure that since they aren't as striking as your usual cherry reds and yellows they would have a better chance of not being killed by my sparkling gourami murder machines and I think I've found just a little evidence of my theory in your post today hahaha.
post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

This is one of my favorite tanks here. I really love the natural, un-staged look. I am also impressed at your success without CO2.

One quick question. What are you using for substrate? Basic sand? Any amendment?

Thanks!
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you both for your lovely comments!

@chicken.nublet I love any kind of rili, I did have a blue and red rili shrimp from my original group of culls that was one of my faves, but it's ...disappeared now that the badis is larger.

@mourip thanks so much! I think it helps that the tank is so shallow, although this does lead to some pretty obscene algae when left to its devices. It also really helps that I only keep low-demanding plants - no stems in sight!

I just use basic sand with root tabs. I'm sure an aquasoil capped with sand would give better results, but it's something I'd like to try in a fishless tank first I think as I understand some products can leach ammonia etc. for a while when disturbed. I also can't get my head around the kH depletion side of it, and how the pH stays stable at 0dkH?!

There were a couple of photos I wanted to upload, but the site I use to embed them seems to be down just now. Will give it a go soon and edit this post
mourip likes this.

Journal

post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never uploaded a photo of the full tank and window here. Here we go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200603_220116.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	899349  

JJ09, chicken.nublet and zmartin like this.

Journal

post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 12:35 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Never uploaded a photo of the full tank and window here. Here we go:
Lovely shot

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode