25g long & low rimless - new *full* tank photo - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post

And finally the photo I actually came here to post: my gals basking in the morning sun. Yes it's silly to have a tank in a window, but with views like this, I don't regret it yet.

That looks amazing. I think you plants appreciate the sunlight! Btw, looking forward to seeing the CPDs!
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank!!
ChrisX likes this.
post #63 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Look great I like the natural look. Your top down shot look very cool

post #64 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

I've been lurking on your post for quite some time. I'm really enjoying the view of the old bricks as a backdrop. I've been playing around working on a few low-tech riparium type tanks and I have found this list of emergent plants very helpful https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html

I've personally had really good luck with the following:
Purple Waffle (Hemigraphis alternata)
Prayer Plant (Maranta spp.) - I've tried two color variants and they both seemed to do well as long as there was enough stem out of the water.
Pothos - Probably the most common I see in tanks but it does amazingly well.
Wandering Jew - it can be finicky, but I have one stem in a planted bowl (no water flow) and it loves it there.
Polka Dot Plant (Hypoestes phyllostachya) - I've not had a lot of this in my actual tank yet, but it has done well in just a cup of water until it gets transplanted to my tank. The only thing is that it does require higher light than most of the others and will get leggy if not cut back every now and then.
Pilea “Dark Mystery”

I was actually able to find almost all of these at my local home improvement store in the indoor plant section, but I bet you can find an on-line source as well. There are a few I haven't tried because I have dogs that really enjoy eating things off the floor so I try to be cautious about what plants I keep in the house. I hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LadyWonkyMcJankeypants; 05-23-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: additional note
post #65 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz View Post
Beautiful tank!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25cube2019 View Post
Look great I like the natural look. Your top down shot look very cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWonkyMcJankeypants View Post
Purple Waffle (Hemigraphis alternata)
Prayer Plant (Maranta spp.) - I've tried two color variants and they both seemed to do well as long as there was enough stem out of the water.
Pothos - Probably the most common I see in tanks but it does amazingly well.
Wandering Jew - it can be finicky, but I have one stem in a planted bowl (no water flow) and it loves it there.
Polka Dot Plant (Hypoestes phyllostachya) - I've not had a lot of this in my actual tank yet, but it has done well in just a cup of water until it gets transplanted to my tank. The only thing is that it does require higher light than most of the others and will get leggy if not cut back every now and then.
Pilea “Dark Mystery”
Thanks everyone, especially @LadyWonkyMcJankeypants for the fab list!

Quick FTS:

CPDs are tiny but settling in well, you can just about see a few here:

I finally swapped the horrible green tubes for a much nicer grey spray bar and intake:

Here's a photo of the tank from a different angle:

And here's my increasingly fat badis:

ipkiss, JJ09, Discusluv and 2 others like this.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Thelongsnail; 03-25-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: .
post #66 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love this tank. The natural light is obviously doing well for your plants as well as your fish.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Amy
post #67 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nothing much has changed since the last post, but here's some photos...

CPDs are gaining weight and colour, have had them for 3 weeks. Pretty sure I have 14.

Tore down the spec a couple of days ago. Had to cut out the back compartment after an endler got stuck in there. Replaced the filter with my only spare, but it was too strong and flung 3 endlers out overnight, despite the lid being on. The 2 remaining males and all cherry shrimp are now in the main tank. Most of the shrimp are transparent, but there's a few mixed ones.

Big shrimp, little shrimp (cardboard shrimp)

Keeping the right-hand side of the tank darker is the only way I ever see my otos:

Anubias Hastifolia is slowly growing some new leaves. Frogbit is also settling in well.

Some pretty ratty water lettuce from the spec. I'll probably throw most of it out, but didn't know if any shrimp were in there during the move. Maybe life with better lights and ferts will be good for it.

Still no idea what this buce is, but if the algae continues, I'm going to have to name it Bucephalandra var. Hairy

Some pics of Belinda the Badis, although I keep thinking of her as "Fatty" recently. I haven't fed any frozen food in weeks in an attempt to curb the obesity, but she seems to be living the life and eating fry, shrimp, and snails and continuing to grow more "rotund". Still praying she doesn't get too big.

And finally, no FTS but when did this tank become such a jungle???

Journal

post #68 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another full-tank pic just for the sake of it:

The right-hand piece of wood needs something, there's too much negative space. Suggestions more than welcome!!

Last edited by Thelongsnail; 06-21-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: .
post #69 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Another full-tank pic just for the sake of it:

The right-hand piece of wood needs something, there's too much negative space. Suggestions more than welcome!!
Looking good! Plants look like they're on steroids. The lilies especially are incredibly eye-catching.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Last edited by chicken.nublet; 06-23-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: .
post #70 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! @chicken.nublet, I'm really impressed with how easy they are to care for!

Badis Update - the badis has started getting aggressive with my female endlers. One was giving birth yesterday and she was harassing it periodically, trying to get the fry. On top of that though, she's been squaring up to other females, flaring her colours, and doing some sort of dominance shake. Their behaviour has been more subdued recently because of this, and they've been hiding in groups as opposed to picking about the tank. I suppose it might be because they're the largest fish in the tank and are in "her" territory? The badis is totally fine with the CPDs, male endlers, etc. just has an issue with the females.

Here's a quick photo of her anyway, she's around 4-5cm now I'd guess:

On top of this, the betta in the 15g flex has been slowing down, spending a lot of time resting and less time patrolling/flaring. He was an adult (or near enough) when purchased from a chain store last May, so I'd hazard a guess at him being 2 years old. I think the height of the tank is causing issues as he has very long/heavy fins and has consistently bitten them. He's not got the best eyesight anymore and I noticed a very small growth at the base of his dorsal fin the other day. Basically, I think he's getting a bit old.

Here he is:

As he's too large for the Spec V (and as I had that unfortunate incident with the trapped fish -> barrier removal -> carpet surfing fish) I'm looking for a shallower tank for him. Turns out that the Dennerle 55L Scapers' tank is under £100 inc. glass lid and would fit on a well-made desk. Could do something really nice with the wood in the flex and some sort of bank, so that the betta has a solid place to rest near the surface, in addition to the swords etc. Going to try and sell this idea to the bf tonight as we don't have much space, but am hoping that the promise of dwarf frogs once the betta does go will get him to come round to the idea.

Incidentally, does anyone have any experience with ADFs?

If the betta moves into the new tank though, that means that the female endlers can have the fluval flex, the males can join their brethren at my parents' house, and these poor female endlers can finally live their lives in peace.

Journal

post #71 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just checked in again and the poor things are terrified. Going to have to separate within the next week I think.

Journal

post #72 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice tank!. Mondo Grass is a nice plant when done the right way like you have it. Any problems with the zebra nerites and the open-top?
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #73 of 114 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Asteroid Thanks! Really love your tank by the way, it's super clean-cut and something I'd like to emulate in my new tank. Wish the 12G longs were readily available in the UK!

I found a nerite on the floor once, months ago, but popped it back in and it was fine.

They don't tend to try to leave the water unless something is bothering them - e.g. tankmates or water parameters, but obviously there is still a risk. I've also kept helmet nerites in open-top tanks without issues though.

Bought the Dennerle tank, lid, and desk last night, my bank account is not happy with me. The tank will be here within a week, but the desk is custom made and will take 4-6 weeks. Also ordered a cheap 300lph mini internal filter with spray bar, so if things continue to go south, the female endlers can be moved temporarily to the spec v. Obviously it's unfortunate that I'm having to move things around, but I'm pretty excited for this new set up!

Here's a sample photo of the desk - the one I ordered is 160cm long, 66cm wide, so will comfortably fit the tank lengthways at one end. The wood is 6cm thick and from scaffolding, and the legs are reinforced steel, identical to the stand for my main tank.

And here's the tank!

Journal

post #74 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CPDs showing minor signs of internal parasites, 50% dose of ESHA Exit today, in line with advice from family friend. Dosing tomorrow and Sunday, will see how it goes. Half dose is supposedly shrimp safe.

Journal

post #75 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
CPDs showing minor signs of internal parasites, 50% dose of ESHA Exit today, in line with advice from family friend. Dosing tomorrow and Sunday, will see how it goes. Half dose is supposedly shrimp safe.
The concern with half doses is there is not enough concentration of active ingredient to do any good. What are the active ingredients in this medication?

Edit: I found it : Esha Exit ACTIVE INGRED:
diaminoacridine 6.3 mg, veride malachitum 0.31 mg, methylrosanilinii chloridum 0.79 mg, methylthioninii chloridum 3.98 mg ad Aqua.
Basically its Acridine ( a dye much like the MG and MB), Malachite Green, , Meth. Blue.
Thelongsnail likes this.

Amy

Last edited by Discusluv; 08-02-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode