My Tank!! (attached pictures) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Tank!! (attached pictures)

Here are the stats: New Coralife 2X65 watts (TOTAL POWER=130 watts); 35 high; Vals, Java Ferns, Anubias Nana and Crypt Wendtii Brown; 50 Fancy Guppies, 1 male Betta, 5 Cories, 1 Columbian Shark, 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 2 Ottos and 1 Rubberlipped pleco.

I have a before the new light, extra DIY CO2 and powerhead and the next tank is the improved version!

I have a monster algae problem, but I have also just started dosing regularly, so I hope that coupled with more light and more CO2 will rectify the situation.

Any and all opinions welcome.
Attached Images

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise

Last edited by Kris; 01-16-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

do you have the hagen system? if you use the packets you might want to check in the DIY section for cheaper recipies of yeast/sugar/bksoda... i really like your java fern! mine is growing nicely now, but way too dense so i have to cut a lot every week . Is that bubble under an anubias leaf? if so then i hate to burst your bubble but... its prob. not pearling, just some air bubble that got caught. My watersprite pearls like crazy, but the anubias just doesnt seem to wanna
your right, add some more CO2 and algae should go away (maybe by going with one of the DIY recipies they have here, i find anonapersona's recipie works very well)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:37 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Kris the best thing you can do for that tank right now is to order yourself a bunch of fast growing stems. The "pearling photo" shows you what is on the horizon for your plants with the algae appearing.
In the beginnings of a tank, plants are the best weapon ! You got 130 watts and CO2... load that tank up with hygro poly or any other fast grower that is cheap and when you are done you can just trade it off to someone else or do what I just did...bring it to your LFS and get some fish for it.

You have 2 of the 3 keys... good light and CO2 ... all you are missing is fast growers to take you over the top, otherwise you may be in for a frustrating ride.
Ill bet you some real nice tall stems of Hygro would even look good in there...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 02:19 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Nice wood placement! Your aquascape ideas for that tall tank are perfect!

I agree with Buck about the fast growers. Chuck a few bunches of fast growers in there until the algae abates and yank the fast growers out when the algae vanishes!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks everyone for the kind words!
i have some moneywort ( i think) in a different tank that i could throw in there. i had taken it out because it was dying from the roots up and i wanted to save it. buck, do you feel that there is enough light now to put it back in? i remember when i bought it originally, it was billed as a "quick growing plant"
i will check the DIY for the CO2 recipe, thanks.
momo--thanks for the remarks on my aquascaping! i am really happy with the arrangement, but ... (shrug) :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Kris,

Nice start!!! But I agree about the algae problem. You need to get control of that soon. What nutrients are you starting to dose?

I use a DIY CO2 system for my 40 gal and it works and is cheaper than those commercial systems. I'd like to get a pressurized system soon.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:43 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yes , you should have plenty of light for moneywort. The more plants you throw in there , the better off you will be. Dont forget, they do not have to stay as part of the look you are going for, they just need to do a job on the algae for you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hi all!
i went to the lfs and traded in a ton of guppies for plants ($40 worth!!)
here is what i got: some sort of hygro (with bright red stems), hair grass, a sword plant and some vals. i also moved the moneywort from the 10 gallon into this tank. then i added some floating anacharis (which i read grows like a weed).
i can't tell if the algae is slowing down, but it is certainly not going away. i have also started dosing ( i need to get decent test kits: i have my eye on some after payday) and according to the dip strips everything is just peachy: 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrate, "safe" range of hard water, ph and alkalinity. i know that that info is basically worthless due to its vagueness. but, it is what i have now.
now, this is the wierd thing. there is a lot of algae on the glass, the plants, the gravel, the CO2 ladder, the driftwood and etc. the cories, the pristellas and neons nibble at it. the ottos seem to be getting fatter, but my rubber-lipped pleco died. i had added a powerhead to improve water flow (per a post rec) and i dropped in some algae wafers b/c i rarely saw him eating.
i am planning on doing blackout starting tomorrow after adding an airstone so that the fish don't suffocate.
here are 2 questions: 1) should i run CO2 during this time? 2)should i remove the biowheel for this period?
which reminds me of my other question: the biowheel. i know that it won't hurt the planted tank (thanks RexGrigg) but i have also heard that it can outgas DIY CO2. so...should i leave it on or remove it??
thanks so much for everyone's help and suggestions. new pics after the blackout!
kris

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

p.s.: should i add tabs to the substrate. it is basic pea gravel. the tank has been up and running for 2 years and had laterite added a year ago. i think that counts for aged, but maybe it needs more help in the substrate area?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updated with new pics and new plants

Hi everyone,

I have made some big changes to my tank:
1) I traded in the guppies for plants.
2) I did a blackout. This was useful for me as it kept my hands out of the tank and seemed to kill the algae so that I could scrub it off easier.
3) I went to the local Aquatic Plant club and really benefitted from their generosity. I now have three times the plants and many of them are fast growing as well as beautiful.

I am still learning to take pictures of the tank, so I know that some of the shots are blurry/funny colored; I really would appreciate any comments on the plants, aquascaping, and etc.

I have to plug the DFW APC again as really nice, really friendly and very generous.

Thanks for visiting my journal!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode