LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLeaf View Post
Damn that is some clear clear water.

This thread and your tank was a major contributor to adding UV to my build aha
Awesome, I hope you're seeing good results, I can't believe it took me nearly a decade to start using them, I'm a huge fan now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwhyLE View Post
Beautiful tanks. I'm extremely jealous of your reef. I had a 20gal reef and it was just too much maintenance compared to my 75g low tech planted. From trying to match salinity and temp, then pouring with buckets. Though, I'm convinced, if I invested in the correct equipment, it would have gone much smoother. I tried to do budget reef, just more work in the end. I only now have the planted low tech and planning to build a nano riparium.

Cheers!
I honestly think the saltwater is easier. I hardly even touch the tank other than changing filter socks, topping off the ATO reservoir, and cleaning the glass. I do a big water change every other month.

I do have a good setup in place for making saltwater and doing water changes which definitely helps. 150gpd BRS RODI system, 25gal rolling mixing / WC station, have my salt amount dialed in precisely for that system (normally only takes slight Sg adjustments), and use a Sicce 400gph pump, and Eheim 1/2" plastic filter pipe and screen, and a ball valve for refilling. Not having to lift buckets makes it a breeze. I think if you go back a few pages I have pics of it all.

My planted tanks are more problematic and more work. The reef is a breeze

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Greggz and tredford like this.

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post

My planted tanks are more problematic and more work. The reef is a breeze
I saw the setup. looks great! Maybe the planted is having problems because of the ambient lights from the windows like you stated. Either way, all your tanks are beautiful. As for my reef, I should have invested correctly in my reef. I tried to go cheap. I did have my own BRS 75 gpd RODI, but I think my city adds the maximum allowed chloramines so I had a hard time with that. It felt like I was fighting it more than I was enjoying it. I never had that moment where I would turn everything else off in the room and stare at the tank like I did with my planted tanks. I still get lost in my planted tanks. My reef never really gave me that.

fwiw this was my 20gal long https://i.imgur.com/nDbabqV.jpg

-
post #48 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwhyLE View Post
I saw the setup. looks great! Maybe the planted is having problems because of the ambient lights from the windows like you stated. Either way, all your tanks are beautiful. As for my reef, I should have invested correctly in my reef. I tried to go cheap. I did have my own BRS 75 gpd RODI, but I think my city adds the maximum allowed chloramines so I had a hard time with that. It felt like I was fighting it more than I was enjoying it. I never had that moment where I would turn everything else off in the room and stare at the tank like I did with my planted tanks. I still get lost in my planted tanks. My reef never really gave me that.

I feel ya, I've had a few funky saltwater tanks over the years that just never wanted to cooperate. But if you don't skimp on equipment up front and just commit to doing it the right way, it makes life much easier and more enjoyable. Oh, and add a ton of biological media, that's the biggest trick. My sump is packed full of biobricks.

KwhyLE likes this.

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted

post #49 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank is really just dialed in and chugging along and I've got some massive plant growth. Due for a large pruning soon. I also added a pot of hygrophila pinnitifida to get a little new texture and color in the plant scape. Once it attaches and fills in a little I can prune it to the shape I want.

And a little side project 45cm short that I threw together. I've always been fascinated by emersed plant growth and have experimented with it before but this one is a full blown emersed assault! I even have some water loving terrestrial plants at the back. Really excited to see how this one progresses!

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted
post #50 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
The tank is really just dialed in and chugging along and I've got some massive plant growth. Due for a large pruning soon. I also added a pot of hygrophila pinnitifida to get a little new texture and color in the plant scape. Once it attaches and fills in a little I can prune it to the shape I want.

And a little side project 45cm short that I threw together. I've always been fascinated by emersed plant growth and have experimented with it before but this one is a full blown emersed assault! I even have some water loving terrestrial plants at the back. Really excited to see how this one progresses!

Nice! Awesome layout, what rocks are those in the 45?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #51 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Angelo, remember me? D2mini on Marsh.

These look great! I just sold my reef stuff after more than a decade.
Going to give planted a try now.

Bump: Oh hey, about your UV... I have the 25w Aqua UV from my reef. The planted im going to set up is a 143g.
Overkill or ok?
What exactly did you use to size down to the small hoses on your filters?

And do you ever wish you went with a sump on this one?
post #52 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Nice! Awesome layout, what rocks are those in the 45?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are called a very generic "mountain stone", no fancy Japanese name for em It's some kind of sandstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
Angelo, remember me? D2mini on Marsh.

These look great! I just sold my reef stuff after more than a decade.
Going to give planted a try now.

Bump: Oh hey, about your UV... I have the 25w Aqua UV from my reef. The planted im going to set up is a 143g.
Overkill or ok?
What exactly did you use to size down to the small hoses on your filters?

And do you ever wish you went with a sump on this one?
Hey Dennis! Long time no talk man! Your name was brought up just a few weeks ago in a discussion with FJW Dennis! I hadn't seen your reef in years, sorry to hear your getting out of it but planted tanks are really fun!

UV is probably overkill but doubt it'll be a bad thing, I've got 8w on ~50gal so not far off... To size down you can buy a 2" sch40 union with threaded 3/4" connection then just get a 3/4" to whatever size hose barb you need. It's about $6 at Home Depot.

Sump - yes and no. It'd be nice to have a place to hide away equipment like I do on the reef, but there are two main problems. 1) the water turbulence releases CO2 out of the water which means you're going to have to pump extra in 2) there is no such thing as a clean looking overflow / returns.

The glass lilypipes and clear tubing are by far the cleanest look on a clean rimless tank with a frosted back.

Hit me up on DM and we can exchange numbers again. I'd be happy to chat about it!

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted
post #53 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Sweet! Where did you get the diffuser?
post #54 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
Sweet! Where did you get the diffuser?
The Aquario diffusers I have been using recently were purchased locally.

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted
post #55 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Aquario diffusers have been available on Amazon. Thou they are currently out of stock.

Aquario Neo CO2 Diffuser M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWDLXGD..._pyfFCb782C8RR
post #56 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:

Beautiful Scape.
ange062 and Yaboihunt like this.
post #57 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreef View Post
Beautiful Scape.
Thanks!! Another Houston reefer in the house, nice!!

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted
post #58 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks!! Another Houston reefer in the house, nice!!

I saw that too... was like "who dat?"

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

post #59 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow, those tanks are beautiful! Keep it up!

post #60 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2creative View Post
I saw that too... was like "who dat?"
Haha, I'm sure we all have met at one point or another
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlau28 View Post
Wow, those tanks are beautiful! Keep it up!
Thanks!!! Here is how I spend my relaxation time:

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode